PDA

View Full Version : Really, really large file extraction issues...



alfonzotan
09-17-2006, 01:36 PM
... or, "parts is parts."

I'm extracting a really large file (32 gigs!) of a football game in HD. TyTool 10r4 crashes immediately if I just do a "get", but "get parts" has successfully extracted the video through the middle of the third quarter. Problem is, the parts listed in the "get parts" pop-up window stop about halfway through the file. Is there a way to manually add a list of parts to a download queue? I can see the part names (er, numbers) in telnet. Fortunately, I don't need every single part, just a few more would give me the rest of the game. I set the recording to overrun by 45 minutes in case of overtime, which didn't happen.

Appreciate any suggestions. I've cross-posted this to the sticky 10r4 thread as well. Thanks...

ronnythunder
09-17-2006, 02:59 PM
if you were particularly industrious, you could make a fake "nowshowing" script or binary (temporarily replacing the one on the tivo) that would return the list of parts that you wanted.

ronny

Jamie
09-17-2006, 03:43 PM
mfs_uberexport can extract recordings with many parts (up to 1024, based on a quick review of the source).

mfs_ftp may be able to handle it too.

alfonzotan
09-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. mfs_ftp (or rather my FTP client, I suspect) didn't do so well, but uberexport running under TivoTool on the Mac side is downloading nicely right now. Of course, since the file is the size of Mount Rushmore, it'll be a few hours before I know whether it all makes it across or not...

alfonzotan
09-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Whew. Finally done, after much pain and suffering. The gist:

Thanks to some advice from the 10r4 thread, I learned how to use mfs_ftp, and grabbed the gigantic TMF file, then used WinRar to extract about 22 segments that made up the second half. All but one were fine; the one bad actor took me forever to figure out and fix. In brief, that segment was missing audio entirely once extracted, and I couldn't figure out any way to retrieve that audio directly from the original file(s). Drove me nuts.

In the end, I plugged a digitizer into the Tivo, re-ran that segment in real time while recording, took that AIFF file (edited to match the problem segment) and encoded it to AC3. I split the problem segment into .mpv and .ac3 files with TyTool, then muxed the .mpv with my new .ac3 audio in Womble. Then back to VideoReDo to join up the whole edited thing, and I'm finally done.

Very painful, but the output looks awesome, and now I have a better toolkit for dealing with problematic video...

lgkahn
09-24-2006, 10:31 PM
recommend you try microsoft or linus ftp client with mfs_ftp if on windows make sure you are writeing to an ntfs drive