PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Remote and HD

Hacker007
09-18-2006, 01:41 AM
I recently got a Sony Series 1 TiVo from a friend. I set up the sub and it is working great. It also has an ethernet port and bash shell setup. So far I have done some basic things (such as ls) with the shell.

I have a couple of question.

1. The remote is functional but has a lot of scratches. I was hoping to get a new remote but could not figure out which one should I get.

2. The HD is small (I think 40 GB). I have been reading and understand what I need to do to upgrade to 120 GB. I was wondering if there is a recommended list of drives that I can choose from. My s/w version is 3.01... For example if I were to bug Seagate Model: ST3120026A-RK, would it work?

Thanks.

cheer
09-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Can't help you with the remote, as I don't use the Tivo remotes anyway. I do vaguely recall that the Sony used something different from most Tivos, but I'll leave it to a Series 1 expert to clarify.

As for HD...everyone has their preferences. So long as it's a PATA drive and not a SATA drive, you should be fine.

captain_video
09-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Sony had their own proprietary remote and IR codes for their Tivo models. I forget the actual remote model number but you'll probably end up paying more for the exact replacement remote than you would for the entire DTivo. Your best bet would be to get an inexpensive universal remote that's already preprogrammed with the Sony Tivo codes. Here's one that I found on ebay that should work, even though it's for a standalone model Tivo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tivo-Series-1-2-Sony-SVR-2000-3000-Remote-Control_W0QQitemZ170030506746QQihZ007QQcategoryZ79865QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PlainBill
09-18-2006, 11:16 AM
The Seagate drive you specified will work well. Given the cost of hard drives, you might even want to go larger. There is an addressing limit at 137 Gig; however the PTVupgrade LBA-48 cd has a custom kernel which will allow you to bypass that limit. That same cd also has MFStools, which will handle copying the original drive to the new drive.

Lastly, I strongly recommend reading Captain Video's TiVo Hacking 101 (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37058).

PlainBill

Narf54321
09-18-2006, 11:23 PM
I recently got a Sony Series 1 TiVo from a friend. I set up the sub and it is working great. It also has an ethernet port and bash shell setup. So far I have done some basic things (such as ls) with the shell.

Sounds like you have one of those TurboNet cards of some sort installed.

1. The remote is functional but has a lot of scratches. I was hoping to get a new remote but could not figure out which one should I get.

Depends on the DVR model. Once upon a time I had the Sony SVR-2000 (standalone) Tivo unit, and its remote was the RMT-V303. The sattelite units have a similar remote, but the top buttons have different functions.

2. The HD is small (I think 40 GB). I have been reading and understand what I need to do to upgrade to 120 GB. I was wondering if there is a recommended list of drives that I can choose from. My s/w version is 3.01... For example if I were to bug Seagate Model: ST3120026A-RK, would it work?

I tend to prefer the Seagate models, because of the better warranty and my own anecdotal evidence that their more reliable than some of the other brands. I will note that the bigger drives, as in "more capacity" seem louder and run hotter than the "smaller" drives. In the bedroom I've kept a 120GB because so far everything else is too noticably loud.

cheer
09-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Lastly, I strongly recommend reading Captain Video's TiVo Hacking 101 (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37058).And I strongly recommend you not pay any attention to PlainBill's posts starting, um, around midday Sunday. At that point he will be well on his way to drunken depression.