PDA

View Full Version : Series 3 Information

Supafly
09-18-2006, 10:56 PM
I started this thread to collect preliminary information about the new Series 3 Standalone TiVo. I will be posting what I encounter, and I invite anyone else to post their experiences.

MFSInfo

/# mfsinfo /dev/hdx
mfs_load_zone_map: Primary zone map corrupt, loading backup.
MFS volume set contains 4 partitions

/dev/hdx10
MFS Partition Size: 288MiB
/dev/hdx11
MFS Partition Size: 105833MiB
/dev/hdx12
MFS Partition Size: 288MiB
/dev/hdx13
MFS Partition Size: 131161MiB
Total MFS volume size: 237570MiB
Estimated hours in a standalone TiVo: 282
This MFS volume may be expanded 4 more times

Bootpage -p:

/# bootpage -p /dev/hdx7
root=/dev/hda7

MFSBackup:

/# mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/tivo/tivo.series.3.virgin.mfs /dev/hdx
Scanning source drive. Please wait a moment.
Source drive size is 282 hours
Backup image will be 282 hours
Uncompressed backup size: 2869 megabytes
Backing up 2869 of 2869 megabytes (100.00%)
Backup done!

MFSRestore:

/# mfsrestore -s 127 -zxpi /mnt/tivo/tivo.series.3.virgin.mfs /dev/hdx

Mounting /dev/hda7 worked fine, and I was able to get into the MFS filesystem.

The image restored fine on the 250gb SATA drive, I know there's no difference in space, but the accomplishment here was that the image was valid and can be used on any SATA drive.

How did I get around the WD SecureConnect™ cable? Since I was just testing the method, I had an external power source hooked up to the HD and had it powered at all times. This isn't something that will work in a real environment, but I just wanted to get the information out to the real geniuses and maybe they can get something rolling.

That's about it, nothing special, but I didn't see anything posted for the S3 either here or the *other* forum, so I decided to take a dive myself. Expect the MFS image to be in the usual places in a few hours. :)

Supafly
09-18-2006, 10:57 PM
It never occured to me that you don't probably don't to replace the connectors at ALL.

Yeah, there's nothing special about the SecureConnect assembly, it worked fine on the Segate drive and tested. It never occured to me to even TRY it! :)

So there you have it, nothing special about the connector, plugs fine into any standard SATA drive.

justdoit
09-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Wow!!! So much incompatibility with the power connections itself for SATA drives?

cheer
09-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Yeah...naturally some have speculated that Tivo did this to discourage drive replacements and/or lock folks into a particular brand, but more likely they felt that the standard Sata power connector wasn't secure enough -- and I don't blame them.

Supafly: excellent info! Keep us posted as you continue to explore.

Supafly
09-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Information about the SecureConnect Assembly modifed above.

Also, the image is on BitTorrent as promised, PM me for details or search in the obvious places. I've set up some seeders to get things moving along.

monkeyboy1010
09-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Great info, looking forward to moving some shows off the S3 soon to my PC for backup to HD-DVD.

Thanks!

mb1010

AbMagFab
09-19-2006, 04:59 PM
So where did you get the MFS boot disk with the SATA drivers? I can't get my machine to see the drive attached to my SATA port.

Supafly
09-19-2006, 05:16 PM
So where did you get the MFS boot disk with the SATA drivers? I can't get my machine to see the drive attached to my SATA port.

You can download the free version here:
PTVupgrade LBA48 CD with MFStools (version 4.04) (http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/software/lba48/lba_4.04_license.html)

The two pay versions are available here:

PTVupgrade LBA48 CD v4.04 Enhancements ($5) (http://downloads.ptvupgrade.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LBA48DD&Category_Code=)
PTVupgrade Universal Boot CD 11c ($20) (http://downloads.ptvupgrade.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=UBCD-11&Category_Code=)

AbMagFab
09-19-2006, 10:18 PM
You can download the free version here:
PTVupgrade LBA48 CD with MFStools (version 4.04) (http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/software/lba48/lba_4.04_license.html)

The two pay versions are available here:

PTVupgrade LBA48 CD v4.04 Enhancements ($5) (http://downloads.ptvupgrade.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LBA48DD&Category_Code=)
PTVupgrade Universal Boot CD 11c ($20) (http://downloads.ptvupgrade.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=UBCD-11&Category_Code=)

Perfect, thanks.

You sure the free one has SATA drivers? I don't see it listed (and can't test until this weekend).

Supafly
09-20-2006, 01:10 AM
Perfect, thanks.

You sure the free one has SATA drivers? I don't see it listed (and can't test until this weekend).

Positive, or else the 500GB blank hard drive I restored the image to got its data through osmosis. :)

Jamie
09-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Positive, or else the 500GB blank hard drive I restored the image to got its data through osmosis. :)You sure you didn't have your bios set to "Legacy ATA" mode? The upgrade CD's all have pretty old kernels (e.g. 2.4.4). I'd be surprised if they had very good SATA support, indeed if it is in there at all.

RichB
09-20-2006, 06:08 PM
I have tried the universal disk and the LBA48 4.04 image with a SATA drive connected. The drive appears in the BIOS but I do not see it in the boot history.

How can I determine if it was mounted as a /dev/hd? or is there a step I am missing?

Thanks,

Rich

Supafly
09-20-2006, 09:55 PM
You sure you didn't have your bios set to "Legacy ATA" mode? The upgrade CD's all have pretty old kernels (e.g. 2.4.4). I'd be surprised if they had very good SATA support, indeed if it is in there at all.

I think you might be right, although there is no such setting in my BIOS to that effect, my TiVo drive shows up as /dev/hdk. Which might be why it works fine for me.

However, isn't IDE/ATA/SATA supposed to be transparent to the OS? Shouldn't a real SATA controller report the device as an generic ATA device? It shouldn't matter the physical interface, the why the bits come into the OS are all the same.

Supafly
09-20-2006, 10:00 PM
It should be in the list of available ATA devices. Mine showed up under /dev/hdk. You don't want to mount the drive you're restoring to, as there are no partitions to mount. When you issue the mfsrestore command, you're specifying a drive, not a particular partition.

cheer
09-20-2006, 10:15 PM
However, isn't IDE/ATA/SATA supposed to be transparent to the OS? Shouldn't a real SATA controller report the device as an generic ATA device? It shouldn't matter the physical interface, the why the bits come into the OS are all the same.
I don't think so -- at least, on one of my PCs here, I can't install *&^%@#$ Windows XP onto the SATA drive unless I build a slipstreamed Windows disc with the SATA drivers integrated...

Supafly
09-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I don't think so -- at least, on one of my PCs here, I can't install *&^%@#$ Windows XP onto the SATA drive unless I build a slipstreamed Windows disc with the SATA drivers integrated...You must have an older SATA controller. The first generation did this, but the ones I've seen recently (past 18 months) have all had native windows/Linux support.

Jamie
09-20-2006, 10:44 PM
However, isn't IDE/ATA/SATA supposed to be transparent to the OS? Shouldn't a real SATA controller report the device as an generic ATA device? It shouldn't matter the physical interface, the why the bits come into the OS are all the same.I don't think so. There is controller specific knowledge in the device drivers. Have a look at the linux sata drivers if you doubt this. Your controller may have a legacy mode where it pretends to the OS that it is a generic PATA controller, but, in the general case, the OS does do SATA specific things with SATA controllers.

If your device is showing up as /dev/hdX instead of /dev/sdX, I think you must be running in legacy mode. Not all controllers support this, and some features, like NCQ, hotplug, etc aren't available in that mode.

Lots of info on SATA support in linux here (http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html).

Supafly
09-21-2006, 03:48 AM
I don't think so. There is controller specific knowledge in the device drivers. Have a look at the linux sata drivers if you doubt this. Your controller may have a legacy mode where it pretends to the OS that it is a generic PATA controller, but, in the general case, the OS does do SATA specific things with SATA controllers.

If your device is showing up as /dev/hdX instead of /dev/sdX, I think you must be running in legacy mode. Not all controllers support this, and some features, like NCQ, hotplug, etc aren't available in that mode.

Lots of info on SATA support in linux here (http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html).

I stand corrected; my motherboard must be doing this by default. One option, and it's not the best is that you can slip the TiVo drive in an external USB case and restore to that. That I know for a fact works on the LBA48 cd. I have all NTFS drives, so I backup to and restore from my FAT32 thumbdrive. Works surprisingly well, there's a small performance hit, but the convenience of not having to keep a FAT32 drive around is worth it.

muddy
09-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Has web server running on it with welcome screen and links to tivo site,
http://series3ip

AbMagFab
09-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I stand corrected; my motherboard must be doing this by default. One option, and it's not the best is that you can slip the TiVo drive in an external USB case and restore to that. That I know for a fact works on the LBA48 cd. I have all NTFS drives, so I backup to and restore from my FAT32 thumbdrive. Works surprisingly well, there's a small performance hit, but the convenience of not having to keep a FAT32 drive around is worth it.

Interesting. What's the USB thumb drive show up as (/dev/???)?

I hope I don't need to do this with the SATA drive though, as I don't have any external enclosures for SATA (only PATA), and I'd rather not add to the expense. Hopefully the above link has some SATA drivers...

Any additional help will be very appreciated!

Narf54321
09-21-2006, 11:04 AM
I am also afflicted by a motherboard with the rather early-generation SiliconImage 3114 SATA controller chip. SATA seems to be made specific for HDD units, and they forgot to include ATAPI support for things like CD-ROM, or possibly home Tape backup units.

Anyway, a few of the modern Linux Live Boot CDs seem to work fine these days with my computer. I suppose if you can get the machine to boot, and then can get tivopart (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25219&highlight=tivopart) on it (ftp from a nearby machine, thumdrive, floppy) it should hopefully then "see" the tivo partitions on the tivo drive.

Supafly
09-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Interesting. What's the USB thumb drive show up as (/dev/???)?

I hope I don't need to do this with the SATA drive though, as I don't have any external enclosures for SATA (only PATA), and I'd rather not add to the expense. Hopefully the above link has some SATA drivers...

Any additional help will be very appreciated!The LBA48 boot disc includes a library called "SCSI Emulation Layer for USB Mass Storage Devices" and it does a great job of detecting all the different USB hubs on your machines and any attached USB Drives you have connected to your computer. My LBA disc detected both my 2GB and 4GB thumbdrives, and also my Maxtor 3200 External USB drive. Since they are emulated SCSI drives, the mount points are usually at /dev/sdx. Where "x" is the different drives, example: /dev/sdb1.

muddy
09-21-2006, 02:20 PM
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/accessories.asp?ProdID=74

AbMagFab
09-21-2006, 03:44 PM
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/accessories.asp?ProdID=74

Thanks - but what's that link for? We know the drive in the S3 is SATA, and they are using the non-proprietary WD cable. Doesn't have much to do with accessing the drive on a PC.

I guess I'll hope my old P4 2.6Ghz motherboard SATA ports will be recognized by the Linux boot disk. Otherwise this will take a while...

muddy
09-21-2006, 06:41 PM
I though someone said something about having to cut the cable so guess I miss understood, that allows a WD drive to go in a standard SATA
PC. I didn't look close at the drive, I guess they are just a standard
drive with the two connectors in one form factor, I thought it was
something new...

Ron

AbMagFab
09-21-2006, 10:52 PM
I am also afflicted by a motherboard with the rather early-generation SiliconImage 3114 SATA controller chip. SATA seems to be made specific for HDD units, and they forgot to include ATAPI support for things like CD-ROM, or possibly home Tape backup units.

Anyway, a few of the modern Linux Live Boot CDs seem to work fine these days with my computer. I suppose if you can get the machine to boot, and then can get tivopart (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25219&highlight=tivopart) on it (ftp from a nearby machine, thumdrive, floppy) it should hopefully then "see" the tivo partitions on the tivo drive.

So okay, I booted to 4.x MFSTools CD, and it booted up, saw all the drives (SATA drive at hdf or hdh, depending on which port I use), but after it found the IRQ of my DVDRom drive, it hung. It said the 2 SATA chains were actually IDE chains, and the only difference from the real IDE chains were that it said "100% compliant" or something like that for the SATA chains.

There's nothing in my BIOS about legacy mode, except for the USB ports.

Any ideas? Any alternative Linux builds I can try? I can always stick the MFS CD in after booting a kernel that works, I assume, and run the MFS commands?

Help please... I'd really like to get this 750GB into my S3.

AbMagFab
09-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Okay, I'm guessing it's because it's greater than 320GB? I see that the CompUSA external SATA enclosure supports only up to 320GB drives.

Any hope for me?

Narf54321
09-21-2006, 11:16 PM
I though someone said something about having to cut the cable so guess I miss understood, that allows a WD drive to go in a standard SATA
PC. I didn't look close at the drive, I guess they are just a standard
drive with the two connectors in one form factor, I thought it was
something new...

People are unfamiliar with the Western Digital combined "clip" connector attaching power and data lines to the SATA drive in the S3. I'm sure Tivo used it to avoid too many DOA complaints if the SATA connectors popped loose in transit.

My original impression, as was others apparently, was that the "clip" on the special connection was too deep or something to attach any other brand of SATA drive. So there was much talk of cutting, soldering, putting seperate power and data connections in place inside the S3 Tivo. Now some reports are that the "clip" is fine, and will attach to other drives.

As for putting it in a regular PC, sure. I'd be surprised if the WD drive wouldn't go into a standard PC SATA setup.

Narf54321
09-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Any ideas? Any alternative Linux builds I can try? I can always stick the MFS CD in after booting a kernel that works, I assume, and run the MFS commands?

Help please... I'd really like to get this 750GB into my S3.

I've had good luck with Ubuntu 5.10 on my SATA PC and using the tivopart to load the tivo drive's partition table into memory. This of course is with older S2 IDE tivo drives, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you as long as linux "knows" there is some sort of device where your tivo drive is attached. Instead of /dev/hdc (for example) it'll probably look like /dev/sdc.

AbMagFab
09-21-2006, 11:40 PM
I've had good luck with Ubuntu 5.10 on my SATA PC and using the tivopart to load the tivo drive's partition table into memory. This of course is with older S2 IDE tivo drives, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you as long as linux "knows" there is some sort of device where your tivo drive is attached. Instead of /dev/hdc (for example) it'll probably look like /dev/sdc.

Quick question - What do I download to create just a bootable CD? I see a bunch of install images, but I just want a bootable ISO image.

And do I need to use tivopart if all I want to do is mfsrestore?

Jamie
09-22-2006, 12:09 AM
Quick question - What do I download to create just a bootable CD? I see a bunch of install images, but I just want a bootable ISO image.Download the Desktop CD here (http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu//6.06/).
And do I need to use tivopart if all I want to do is mfsrestore?No. tivopart is uneeded if you are just doing a restore.

AbMagFab
09-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Well, I guess the S3 doesn't support a 750GB drive.

I was able to do an "mfstool restore" using the linux kernel above. It restored fine, and the Tivo boots up, but it goes into a GSOD loop (it says 3 hours on the GSOD, but it's only about 10 seconds).

Anyone have any luck upgrading the internal hard drive yet?

Jamie
09-22-2006, 02:06 AM
Well, I guess the S3 doesn't support a 750GB drive.

I was able to do an "mfstool restore" using the linux kernel above. It restored fine, and the Tivo boots up, but it goes into a GSOD loop (it says 3 hours on the GSOD, but it's only about 10 seconds).

Anyone have any luck upgrading the internal hard drive yet?WeakNees sells 750GB replacement drives for the S3, so it is possible.

Did you use -r 4? Those are the symptoms you would see if you left that off the command line.

AbMagFab
09-22-2006, 02:15 AM
WeakNees sells 750GB replacement drives for the S3, so it is possible.

Did you use -r 4? Those are the symptoms you would see if you left that off the command line.

Crap, yes, I left off -r 4. While I'm here, is -s 127 okay, or should that be bigger? Is this what I should use:
mfstool restore -s 127 -r 4 -zxpi /mnt/tivo/Tivo.Series.3.mfs /dev/hdx

And the 750GB Seagate sure is a lot noisier than my 320GB Seagates. It sqeaks some and sounds like a cricket. Wonder if this is normal for the 750's...

monkeyboy1010
09-22-2006, 12:42 PM
And the 750GB Seagate sure is a lot noisier than my 320GB Seagates. It sqeaks some and sounds like a cricket. Wonder if this is normal for the 750's...

I have read elsewhere that the 750s coming from Weakness are very noisey. Since the Segate is the only 750 out, i guess that stands to reason.

I understand that these WD 500s are SUPER SILENT. Most likely the route I will go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136014

AbMagFab
09-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Crap, yes, I left off -r 4. While I'm here, is -s 127 okay, or should that be bigger? Is this what I should use:
mfstool restore -s 127 -r 4 -zxpi /mnt/tivo/Tivo.Series.3.mfs /dev/hdx

Okay, the "-r 4" worked, and I was able to boot up, do a C&DE, and then reboot again and configure. It worked for a bit, tuning in local stations.

Then, when I went to force a phone home, it got really slow going through the menus, and hung before I could call home. I unplugged/rebplugged, and it hung on the "Welcome!" screen.

So - is this my screw up, or more likely a bad hard drive? The squeaking and clicking of the drive just doesn't sound right, but I've never had more than a 500GB in my home (mostly newer 320GB SATA's, and a ton of 250GB and 300GB PATA's). Also, it looks like they have the 3G SATA enabled, so I removed the jumper on my 750GB drive to enable 3G SATA.

Should I exchange the disk and try again, or is this common for something I might have done wrong restoring (like the "-r 4")?

Thanks! Hopefully I'm running through problems that will eventually help someone else.

Jamie
09-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Okay, the "-r 4" worked, and I was able to boot up, do a C&DE, and then reboot again and configure. It worked for a bit, tuning in local stations.

Then, when I went to force a phone home, it got really slow going through the menus, and hung before I could call home. I unplugged/rebplugged, and it hung on the "Welcome!" screen.

So - is this my screw up, or more likely a bad hard drive? The squeaking and clicking of the drive just doesn't sound right, but I've never had more than a 500GB in my home (mostly newer 320GB SATA's, and a ton of 250GB and 300GB PATA's). Also, it looks like they have the 3G SATA enabled, so I removed the jumper on my 750GB drive to enable 3G SATA.

Should I exchange the disk and try again, or is this common for something I might have done wrong restoring (like the "-r 4")?

Thanks! Hopefully I'm running through problems that will eventually help someone else.What did you do for swap? If you created swap > 127MB, and didn't initialize it properly, it could cause problems like this.

I've heard (e.g. at silentpcreview.com forums) that the Seagate SATA 750GB drives are noisy, but I have no first hand experience.

Pulling the drive and examining the logs in /var/log may be the best way to get a handle on what is causing the problem.

AbMagFab
09-22-2006, 05:24 PM
What did you do for swap? If you created swap > 127MB, and didn't initialize it properly, it could cause problems like this.

I've heard (e.g. at silentpcreview.com forums) that the Seagate SATA 750GB drives are noisy, but I have no first hand experience.

Pulling the drive and examining the logs in /var/log may be the best way to get a handle on what is causing the problem.

I did -s 127, so that isn't it (unless mfstools did something I didn't tell it to do).

And I've had noisy drives, which are more of the seek-noise variety. This 750GB really sounds like a cricket, with a squeak, in addition to the seek-noise. Might be normal, but I've never heard anything like it, and it doesn't sound good to me.

Ugh, so now I need tivopart, since I can't view the 750GB drive using the PTV disk. Any pointers on where to get tivopart? (and /var is on 9 right?)

drez
09-22-2006, 05:34 PM
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=103860#post103860

tivopart-20040530.zip

the file you want is tivopart.x86

i was playing with tivopart and SLAX Frodo Edition v 5.1.7b today (50MB, boots to a console like the PTV CDs) http://www.slax.org/download.php

it worked well for me. try it out.

i kept tivopart.x86 on a USB flash drive (you can make a custom iso (and add tivopart,mfstool,any file you want) with MySLAX Creator) ... i mounted the usb flash drive, cd to it, and ran the tivopart:

./tivopart.x86 r /dev/XXX

it only took a second to revalidate (note: it's not -r, its r)

then I mounted the tivo drive like I would with the PTV CD.

omnius
09-22-2006, 06:05 PM
For those having trouble accessing SATA drives, my guess is that the problem is with normal SATA controlers versus SATA RAID controllers. Raid controllers will not work without drivers, but normal non-raid controllers should. Some, like my integrated nforce4 controller, can work either way. I don't remember the exact wording, but my nforce4 motherboard has a setting in the bios for which mode it runs in, raid or normal. Now, I have not tried with those boot discs yet because I haven't had a TiVo in a very long time. However, I believe this could be the problem.

For instance, trying to install windows onto a SATA drive on my computer without using any drivers requires me to have that raid setting turned completely off. It does not matter if I have the raid controller turned on but that particular SATA port set to not be in the raid. If I do that then Windows finds no hard drives. But with it disabled entirely, it finds the drives just fine.

lrhorer
09-22-2006, 08:11 PM
I can't install *&^%@#$ Windows XP
You shouldn't say that about Windows. It'll give *&^%@#$ a bad name. :p

Well, it is encouraging the S3 at least uses the same file structure. Has anyone gotten FTP and telnet working (or do they work out of the box, perhaps)?

What about encryption? Will we need hacked EPROMs, or will something like the DTivo hacks work? I'm really hopeful a TyTool for S3 will become a reality.

cheer
09-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, it is encouraging the S3 at least uses the same file structure. Has anyone gotten FTP and telnet working (or do they work out of the box, perhaps)?

What about encryption? Will we need hacked EPROMs, or will something like the DTivo hacks work? I'm really hopeful a TyTool for S3 will become a reality.
I don't think anyone's even figured out the security/chain-of-trust structure yet; we're a ways away from nocso!

kog
09-25-2006, 04:33 AM
And I've had noisy drives, which are more of the seek-noise variety. This 750GB really sounds like a cricket, with a squeak, in addition to the seek-noise. Might be normal, but I've never heard anything like it, and it doesn't sound good to me.

I think you might possibly have a bad drive. I upgraded a friend's Tivo once with a 200GB Seagate that made those same noises you mentioned. It would *chirp* like a cricket once in awhile... and every so often the system would just reboot spontaneously. He RMA'd the drive, I did the upgrade again same exact method.. and no more reboots. And no more chirping noises on the new drive.

muddy
09-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Given that they got Cable Labs certification on the box to work
with cable cards, and they have stringent security standards, I think the
whole encryption/DRM is going to be alot harder to crack, in fact
in their press release they state that MRV etc.. is coming in the future
but they have to address security issues with moving digital content
off the box to maintain cable labs certification..

Ron

muddy
09-25-2006, 05:05 PM
I would like to keep my old board I use just for tivo, can anyone recommend a pci SATA card that works with the mfstools boot cds??

Thanks,
Ron

michaelk
09-26-2006, 10:48 AM
same boat.

there's a post at tivocommunity that the Promise SATA300 TX4 4-Port SATA PCI Adapter works.

I'd GUESS that any promise adapter would work, but I'm an expert by any stretch.

mrrjm
09-26-2006, 07:14 PM
I had the same problem with SATA not being seen. I had to make and adjustment is the bios screen. It was set up as Raid. I switched it to IDE. Now I can see both drives. I even booted to older versions with out a problem. Right now I'm doing a DD copy to a 400gb drive. I'll test it then try to expand it. If it works then I'll do the same with a 750gb drive. Unfortunately the command I used is copying at 1024k. So it's going to take 3 days to copy the 250gb tivo drive.

As far as power connectors go there is nothing special. I bought 2 sata cables with power adaptors for $6.99 each at tiger direct.

bcc
09-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Anyone try blessing an sata disk and adding it via esata? Looks like it'll just get picked up by the boot scripts (rc.Sequence_550.MfsMaintenance.sh).

michaelk
09-27-2006, 01:21 PM
no one has tried that i'm aware- everyone assumes it's diabled. Would be funny as hell if it worked!

michaelk
09-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Sorry if this is real ignorant, but there's no consensus at TivoCommunity so I figure the people here are more knowledgable:

2 issuesabout partition sizes:

first seems MFS tools has a bug so it creates an incorrectly sized empty alternate boot partition. So I guess the solution is DD and then MFS ADD. But what about the swap partitin size? Is the default size copied over with the DD big enough?

If it takes a few extra steps to increase the swap partition with pdisk/tpip/whatever and there's any posibility that it will matter later, I'd prefer to do it now rather than later...

Seems the ptvupgrade folks for one think the size already ther eis fine that the GSOD would never need more. Thinking about it I am thinking that is the case- I'm GUESSING there is an upper limit that the thing needs for a repair. My reasoning is the eSATA port- they have to have created the swap partition assuming that could get enabled in the future so they likely assumed that the repaoir util could be dealing with the 250gb internal drive PLUS a monster sized 500, 750, tera external drive. Make sense?

bcc
09-27-2006, 01:38 PM
no one has tried that i'm aware- everyone assumes it's diabled. Would be funny as hell if it worked!There is a kick-start code to get the s3 box to bless an e-sata disk, so it seems to me it was designed to work, they just didn't tell folks how. But they could have built the kernel with disks beyond /dev/hda disabled...
Personally I don't want the extra noise of 2 disks on 1 tivo, but for others, it could be a lot easier way to expand MFS than an mfsbackup|mfsrestore dance.

michaelk
09-27-2006, 01:42 PM
I've got my 500gig internal drive on order.

But I actually have a spare 300gig sata at the office- once I'm done with the enternal upgrade- I might just dig up an external enclosure and try it out...

Narf54321
09-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Anyone try blessing an sata disk and adding it via esata? Looks like it'll just get picked up by the boot scripts (rc.Sequence_550.MfsMaintenance.sh).

no one has tried that i'm aware- everyone assumes it's diabled. Would be funny as hell if it worked!

Since the initial S3 software out of the gate seems to be based around 7.2, I'd guess a major stumbling block would still be divorcing drives. That seems to be one of the issues Tivo, Inc is working on, in addition to more draconian DRM crap (like making sure a full video is never saved entirely on the external disk). The question would be, if you do manage to add a drive via the eSATA port today, would you be able to ever remove it without bombing your whole Tivo?

bcc
09-27-2006, 03:09 PM
would you be able to ever remove it without bombing your whole Tivo?It would be nice if the kickstart code that triggers an MFS assert (/tvbin/mfsassert -please) would divorce the drive. That would be the way I'd handle it sans GUI anyways.
I'm just going to expand the internal drive, so I'm not volunteering to test...

bjdraw
09-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Has anyone been successful in upgrading their drive?
If so what mfstool switches worked?

I received my 500GB drive yesterday and am excited to try it out.

Narf54321
09-27-2006, 07:28 PM
I believe Supafly (this thread's OP) was able to use MFStools with an LBA48 boot CD to backup the S3 hard drive. A few folks over at TCF have done it, also.

A few questions remain, such as if using the -9999 option (only backing up files with fsid's under 9999) is dependable for the S3 software. Or, if the empty 128MB alternate partition which MFSTools2.0 creates is sufficient for future S3 releases.

I'd suggest using an LBA48 linux boot CD of some sort (with SATA support), possibly tivopart to load the tivodrive partition table into memory, then dd the original contents over to the new drive followed by an mfsadd -r 4 -x

stevel
09-27-2006, 08:49 PM
The question would be, if you do manage to add a drive via the eSATA port today, would you be able to ever remove it without bombing your whole Tivo?
This question was raised to TiVoPony at the TC Con in Vegas last June. He said that the external disk would be married to the internal disk and that, like with dual-disk units today, you (potentially) lose all recordings if the external disk goes away.

Jamie
09-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Since the initial S3 software out of the gate seems to be based around 7.2, I'd guess a major stumbling block would still be divorcing drives. That seems to be one of the issues Tivo, Inc is working on, in addition to more draconian DRM crap (like making sure a full video is never saved entirely on the external disk). The question would be, if you do manage to add a drive via the eSATA port today, would you be able to ever remove it without bombing your whole Tivo?CableLabs approval seems to be a stumbling block too: link (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4402752&highlight=CableLabs+esata#post4402752).

michaelk
09-27-2006, 09:26 PM
This question was raised to TiVoPony at the TC Con in Vegas last June. He said that the external disk would be married to the internal disk and that, like with dual-disk units today, you (potentially) lose all recordings if the external disk goes away.

I think there are some other comments at TC that imply when you pulled the drive it would prompt you to put it back and get back your recordings or give it the okay to blow away anythign that was on the drive.

Narf54321
09-27-2006, 10:30 PM

Today, if you have dual drives and lose the 'B' drive (at least on an S1 or S2), your whole Tivo is toast and you pretty much have to re-image from a backup.

It would be a profound leap in usability if they actually fix the system so that losing a drive simply means it pops up a menu whether to discard those shows. I don't think that functionality is ready yet, although I've hoped for years that Tivo would add logic to divorce a drive set.

bcc
09-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Has anyone been successful in upgrading their drive?
If so what mfstool switches worked?I did mine today with:
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/sdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/sdaI already had a backup from before the first power on so I didn't make another backup here, and I was interested in preserving my recordings&logos. Worked.

I also used AAM set the new disk to quiet mode as it didn't come that way (wd5000ys).

ddoyle
09-28-2006, 11:28 AM
I did mine today with:
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/sdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/sdaI already had a backup from before the first power on so I didn't make another backup here, and I was interested in preserving my recordings&logos. Worked.

I also used AAM set the new disk to quiet mode as it didn't come that way (wd5000ys).

How long did the backup take (and can you estimate how many recordings you had)?

michaelk
09-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I did mine today with:

Do you have any concerns about the wrong alternate partition size bug in MFS tools?

bcc
09-28-2006, 02:52 PM
How long did the backup take (and can you estimate how many recordings you had)?Backup took 1 hour, 27 minutes. mfsbackup reported that the "Uncompressed backup size: 136427 megabytes", which is much larger than a virgin disk. My virgin disk was just 2869MB. I think I had about 8 hours of HD recordings at the time.

bcc
09-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Do you have any concerns about the wrong alternate partition size bug in MFS tools?I forgot about that issue. High time for a stable&patched mfstools it seems.
In this tivo software release, the / partition is still just 26% used, so I don't think this will matter unless the releases get a lot bigger.
I also didn't worry about expanding swap, but that was on purpose.
Here's what my partition map came out to be:

OLD:
Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sdb'
#: type name length base ( size )
1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
2: Image Bootstrap 1 1 @ 268618469
3: Image Kernel 1 8192 @ 268618470 ( 4.0M)
4: Ext2 Root 1 524288 @ 268626662 (256.0M)
5: Image Bootstrap 2 1 @ 269150950
6: Image Kernel 2 8192 @ 269150951 ( 4.0M)
7: Ext2 Root 2 524288 @ 269159143 (256.0M)
8: Swap Linux swap 262144 @ 269683431 (128.0M)
9: Ext2 /var 524288 @ 269945575 (256.0M)
10: MFS MFS application region 589824 @ 270469863 (288.0M)
11: MFS MFS media region 216747657 @ 271649511 (103.4G)
12: MFS MFS application region 2 589824 @ 271059687 (288.0M)
13: MFS MFS media region 2 268618405 @ 64 (128.1G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=488397168 (232.9G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
NEW:
Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/sda'
#: type name length base ( size )
1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
2: Image Bootstrap 1 1 @ 485364800
3: Image Kernel 1 8192 @ 485364801 ( 4.0M)
4: Ext2 Root 1 524288 @ 485372993 (256.0M)
5: Image Bootstrap 2 4096 @ 485897281 ( 2.0M)
6: Image Kernel 2 4096 @ 485901377 ( 2.0M)
7: Ext2 Root 2 262144 @ 485905473 (128.0M)
8: Swap Linux swap 260096 @ 486167617 (127.0M)
9: Ext2 /var 524288 @ 486427713 (256.0M)
10: MFS MFS application region 589824 @ 486952001 (288.0M)
11: MFS MFS media region 216747008 @ 268617792 (103.4G)
12: MFS Second MFS application region 589824 @ 487541825 (288.0M)
13: MFS Second MFS media region 268617728 @ 64 (128.1G)
14: MFS New MFS Application 1024 @ 488131649
15: MFS New MFS Media 488636416 @ 488132673 (233.0G)
16: Apple_Free Extra 4079 @ 976769089 ( 2.0M)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=976773168 (465.8G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

bjdraw
09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I did my backup last night I used DD and mfstool to expand, so far so good.
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
mfstool add -x /dev/sdb -r 4

Thanks!

michaelk
09-28-2006, 07:16 PM
is it possible to use MFStools to copy the drive- then use pdisk to:

rename root 2 (n - name command),
create a new partition at the end named root 2 (C create command)
then move the paritions around in the table so the new root 2 gets to teh correct spot (r- reorder command)
THen nuke the original bad partion (d delete command)

THEN do mfsadd.

I got the idea from the fixing swap thread at tivocommunity.

If that's doable I'm thinking of doing that- (probably also juice the swap the same way...).

IS there anything I need to do to the new partitions (like mkswap or tpip) or will the tivo automatically recognize them? (sorry I'm very ignorant about these intricacies)

AbMagFab
10-14-2006, 09:14 PM
I did -s 127, so that isn't it (unless mfstools did something I didn't tell it to do).

Ugh, so now I need tivopart, since I can't view the 750GB drive using the PTV disk. Any pointers on where to get tivopart? (and /var is on 9 right?)

Okay, after a long RMA effort, I finally got my replacement drive last night, and it works fine. I did the regular mfstools restore, with the -r (and only 127 swap), and everything seems to be fine.

The new drive sounds like a normal drive. (Although I've heard two sort of "sqeaks" from it, I think - hopefully it's not semi-defective).

In any case, no issues restoring, C&DE, and then setting up again. 90+ hours HD, 900+ hours SD.

Nifty neato. I'll let you know if I see any other issues, and if these 750's are just bad overall or something. I figure if it lasts a week, then I'm in good shape.

Narf54321
10-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Ugh, so now I need tivopart, since I can't view the 750GB drive using the PTV disk. Any pointers on where to get tivopart?

For anyone else following along, here's the thread with tivopart (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25219). IIRC, it also includes a few other useful tools, like the lba46chk tool.

I'll let you know if I see any other issues, and if these 750's are just bad overall or something. I figure if it lasts a week, then I'm in good shape.

This worries me, simply because the jump in hard drives from 500GB to 750GB seems so large as to be really pushing the outer edge of acceptable reliability. Perhaps they fell over the edge.

lgkahn
10-16-2006, 03:54 PM
anyone taken the prom out.. any hope of getting mrv working on these?

reily anyone jump in.. I am itching to get one since direct tv is basically dropping tivo...

but need extraction etc.

pm me privately if need be thanks...

does someone need the hardware to get it hacked?

also anyone know of a solution for not being able to order ppv or on demand services with the cable card (at least with adephia) can you order directly via web or something?

cheer
10-16-2006, 04:28 PM
If it's anything like the HR10-250 w/6.3a, then I'll bet the MRV code isn't there. So you're probably SOL on that.

For the rest...yeah, probably waiting for someone who owns one to risk it pulling the PROM, dumping it, etc. Once it's hackable then patching Tivoapp, etc. should be as normal.

bcc
10-16-2006, 05:13 PM
For the rest...yeah, probably waiting for someone who owns one to risk it pulling the PROM, dumping it, etc. Once it's hackable then patching Tivoapp, etc. should be as normal.I'm a bit surprised we haven't heard results, as the box can now be had for the discounted rate of just ~$700, and so the financial risk of prom socketing is less than it was when we were risking our hr10-250s. It's the same 'ol flash chip too. The socketing should be easy for those with SMD rework skillz.

BLKMGK
10-16-2006, 11:01 PM
For that matter if someone skilled were willing we could pool cash and donate to get the hardware for someone willing to work the problem. I mentioned this before and was serious about helping. I too want one but not if it's not hackable...

lgkahn
10-17-2006, 01:30 PM
same here that is why I mentioned it but without mrv i wouldn't really be interested

muddy
10-19-2006, 03:53 PM
also anyone know of a solution for not being able to order ppv or on demand services with the cable card (at least with adephia) can you order directly via web or something?

You will never be able to order on demand services, that is a two way
service, the tivo is a one way device. And at least on the SA digital
platform PPV and on demand are actually a software application that
loads on the cable box to access the service. The current cable
card spec has no ability to do this.. ie they would need to put a cpu,hard
drive and os in a tv to run it...

lgkahn
10-20-2006, 09:59 AM
yes figured that out after doing some reading about cable cards after posting.. seems like a major fffup on their part.. I read they are designing bi-directional cards... should have done that from the get go..

also they could do something like dtv where it uploads the purchases over the net via software and if they don't get an upload for a certain time period shuts off your ppv permissions.. maybe someone should right the s/w for them :)

lrhorer
10-26-2006, 01:56 AM
You will never be able to order on demand services, that is a two way
service, the tivo is a one way device. And at least on the SA digital
platform PPV and on demand are actually a software application that
loads on the cable box to access the service. The current cable
card spec has no ability to do this.. ie they would need to put a cpu,hard
drive and os in a tv to run it...
This is untrue. Negotiation between the Cablecard and the CATV headend is handled by the Cablecard itself, not the TiVo, or whatever other receiver is used to host the Cablecard. The next version of Cablecard is supposed to be two way, and the Cablecard menus are just HTML code executed by the receiver. The new series will have an IP address and will transact business just like your PC does, except the HTML code is stored on the Cablecard, rather than a hard drive. It will work with any Cablecard compatible receiver.

muddy
10-27-2006, 07:48 PM
This is untrue. Negotiation between the Cablecard and the CATV headend is handled by the Cablecard itself, not the TiVo, or whatever other receiver is used to host the Cablecard. The next version of Cablecard is supposed to be two way, and the Cablecard menus are just HTML code executed by the receiver. The new series will have an IP address and will transact business just like your PC does, except the HTML code is stored on the Cablecard, rather than a hard drive. It will work with any Cablecard compatible receiver..
I work for a cable company in the digital services group. True there are proposed
changes to enable a two way cable card spec. But as I stated the
series 3 as it is sold now does not have the hardware to either receive
or transmit the command and control signals, either the qpsk or docsis
protocols so it will never be two way even with a two way cable
card, the card is only the decryption key. The two way cable card
specification will be very little changed to the actual cable
card itself, it will more be the definition of how the receiver hardware
(series 3,TV)works in a two way mode. Two way communications is ip over RF
(qpsk or docsis) the series 3 is two way over ethernet. Given all
that if we ever go to true ip digital service it might with a lot of
work be able use the etherenet over cable modem. The xod and ppv
applications would also have to be rewritten to run on the tivo hardware.
These applications are not the menus you talk about, they are a software
program that loads on the Cable box and currently runs on PowerTV OS.
I can see where there could be a tivo that will work two way, just not the one you bought today. I also have not seen any TVs
that have an rf transmitter in them to send the reverse signal back.
Two way cable is not ip over ethernet(series 3), it is ip over rf.(qpsk,docsis),
docsis is what most cable modems use and to the best of my knowledge
there is no docsis hardware in a series 3.

Here also is a little blurb from tivo itself in press release that states for interactive
services you will need a cable set-top from the cable company.

"* A security card (CableCARD) provided by your cable operator is required to view encrypted digital cable programming. Two CableCARDs may be required for dual-tuner functionality. Certain advanced and interactive digital cable services such as video-on-demand, a cable operator's enhanced programming guide, and data-enhanced television services may require the use of a separate cable company-provided set-top box."

http://www.tivo.com/cms_static/press_111.html

Here is another link with info on the cable card. It states that two way hardware(TV's) will not be
available before 2007 and that is doubtfull. And here is a blurb from that article.

"until you realize what CableCARDs cannot do. They cannot display an interactive program guide (though they can display a basic, noninteractive guide to what's showing), they do not provide pay-per-view options, video on demand is out, and any interactive services (such as Time Warner's "eBay on TV" service currently in beta down in Texas) are a no go. Worse yet, hardware with a CableCARD v1.0 slot will not be compatible with CableCARD v2.0 devices, which will be two-way. Or, more exactly, it will be compatible, but only in unidirectional mode, which means that it will get no benefit from the newer card. (The 2.0 spec (PDF) is set, but don't expect to see any shipping televisions that support it until 2007—and even that may be optimistic.)"

http://arstechnica.com/guides/other/cablecard.ars

michaelk
11-20-2006, 02:29 PM
I work for a cable company in the digital services group. True there are proposed
changes to enable a two way cable card spec. But as I stated the
series 3 as it is sold now does not have the hardware to either receive
or transmit the command and control signals, either the qpsk or docsis
protocols so it will never be two way even with a two way cable
card, the card is only the decryption key. The two way cable card
specification will be very little changed to the actual cable
card itself, it will more be the definition of how the receiver hardware
(series 3,TV)works in a two way mode. Two way communications is ip over RF
(qpsk or docsis) the series 3 is two way over ethernet. Given all
that if we ever go to true ip digital service it might with a lot of
work be able use the etherenet over cable modem. The xod and ppv
applications would also have to be rewritten to run on the tivo hardware.
These applications are not the menus you talk about, they are a software
program that loads on the Cable box and currently runs on PowerTV OS.
I can see where there could be a tivo that will work two way, just not the one you bought today. I also have not seen any TVs
that have an rf transmitter in them to send the reverse signal back.
Two way cable is not ip over ethernet(series 3), it is ip over rf.(qpsk,docsis),
docsis is what most cable modems use and to the best of my knowledge
there is no docsis hardware in a series 3.

Here also is a little blurb from tivo itself in press release that states for interactive
services you will need a cable set-top from the cable company.

"* A security card (CableCARD) provided by your cable operator is required to view encrypted digital cable programming. Two CableCARDs may be required for dual-tuner functionality. Certain advanced and interactive digital cable services such as video-on-demand, a cable operator's enhanced programming guide, and data-enhanced television services may require the use of a separate cable company-provided set-top box."

http://www.tivo.com/cms_static/press_111.html

Here is another link with info on the cable card. It states that two way hardware(TV's) will not be
available before 2007 and that is doubtfull. And here is a blurb from that article.

"until you realize what CableCARDs cannot do. They cannot display an interactive program guide (though they can display a basic, noninteractive guide to what's showing), they do not provide pay-per-view options, video on demand is out, and any interactive services (such as Time Warner's "eBay on TV" service currently in beta down in Texas) are a no go. Worse yet, hardware with a CableCARD v1.0 slot will not be compatible with CableCARD v2.0 devices, which will be two-way. Or, more exactly, it will be compatible, but only in unidirectional mode, which means that it will get no benefit from the newer card. (The 2.0 spec (PDF) is set, but don't expect to see any shipping televisions that support it until 2007—and even that may be optimistic.)"

http://arstechnica.com/guides/other/cablecard.ars

FYI- It's a long shot but apparently there is Xilinx Spartan FPGA on the S3 motherboard.

there is a downloadable DOCSIS 'firmware core' (sorry I dont know the technical term for it)- for that FPGA. So if tivo has the correct traces on the board and there is still room in that FPGA then they could update the S3 and viola instant docsis modem. 2-way tivo there ya go.

I'm not tivo, but if i spent tens of millions of dollars to engineer the thing and there was a chance that i could take the current hardware and make it 2-way by adding a few traces then I'd put them there just in case.

There's still no firewire port which I beleive is a requirement of the 2-way standard. So I'm not sure if tivo could ever get it 'certified' to be used as a 2-way device if they could pull that off.

you guys all know volumes more then I- so please chew on this- I'm interested in your thoughts.

i think this is the link to the docsis core:
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=J83Annex_BModulator

pmiranda
11-21-2006, 01:17 AM
An FPGA might be reconfigured to create the digital signals needed to signal the head-end, but the missing piece (as far as I know) is the modulator to translate those digital signals into the RF signals at the correct frequency to travel upstream.

muddy
11-21-2006, 08:32 AM
An FPGA might be reconfigured to create the digital signals needed to signal the head-end, but the missing piece (as far as I know) is the modulator to translate those digital signals into the RF signals at the correct frequency to travel upstream.
Exactly, It has to have an rf transmitter, that transmitter has to
be addressable as the upstream and downstream frequencies are set
by the cable operator depending on various conditions. This is not
fixable by software. It is like saying you have an FM radio and you
are just going to change the software or firm ware and make it
a cell phone. It just isn't that easy. There are 2 totally different
hardware/software solutions so the S3 would have to have both
sets of hardware or you would have to have 2 models and the customer would
have to buy the correct model depending on what their cable
company uses and if they move then there is a good chance it won't work with
the new company. I don't think Tivo would put hardware in a box when there
is no standard for it.

pmiranda
11-22-2006, 10:06 AM
What's technically possible, but probably wouldn't pass CableLabs certification, is an external authentication module that could plug into a CableCard slot and between the cable and the RF input of the S3 that would provide the necessary two-way communication. Actually even if it did pass certification, such a "CableCard 2 Adaptor" would probably be cost prohibitive.

michaelk
12-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Exactly, It has to have an rf transmitter, that transmitter has to
be addressable as the upstream and downstream frequencies are set
by the cable operator depending on various conditions. This is not
fixable by software. It is like saying you have an FM radio and you
are just going to change the software or firm ware and make it
a cell phone. It just isn't that easy. There are 2 totally different
hardware/software solutions so the S3 would have to have both
sets of hardware or you would have to have 2 models and the customer would
have to buy the correct model depending on what their cable
company uses and if they move then there is a good chance it won't work with
the new company. I don't think Tivo would put hardware in a box when there
is no standard for it.

there was some speculation at tivocommunity that the transmitter parts were cheap and so maybe tivo included them. But no one there talked about the various frequencies being a possibility or what not. Can you elaborate and explain?

Wouldn't the M-Card/ OCAP / 2-way (whatever the nex gen spec is) specs account for the differnet possibilities so that one device could be built with all the possible options OR is it more like an OCAP box on a SA headend wont work on a Moto headend?

I agree that it would be silly to just randomly put in hardware when there is no standard. But the m-card/ocap stuff has been around in draft for years so if it's a matter of 50 cents worth of parts and they have to duplicate 2 or 3 different potential outcomes- is it possible they would have included it?

But no matter the answers- still no firewire port....

cramer
12-15-2006, 05:17 AM
there was some speculation at tivocommunity that the transmitter parts were cheap and so maybe tivo included them. But no one there talked about the various frequencies being a possibility or what not. Can you elaborate and explain? ...Right. And it's easily retrofit by changing the little aluminium box on the end of the cable. But the other half of the equation (the "eCM" or embeded Cable Modem) is NOT cheap. Not even in quantities of 10,000. However, the box is 800$, so it may actually have a dormant cable modem in it. At any rate, it's not certified as a bidirectional cable device.

One thing that needs to be cleared up... ALL CABLE CARDS ARE BIDIRECTIONAL. (http://www.opencable.com/primer/cablecard_primer.html) They always have been. No one has built and certified a bidirectional device -- I'm not even sure cablelabs has formalized the certification process for such a creation. It certainly would have been in Tivo's best interests to be as forward thinking as possible. Remember, tivo started designing this thing ~2 years ago. That shiny thing you pulled out of the black box hasn't been significantly changed from what was sent to CL for certification a year ago. At this point, it's certified, so there's very little that can be done to the hardware without an expensive, time consuming recertification. (and there's already been 2 certified versions. 'tho I don't know what the differences are between the "A" and "B" models, but I'm guessing it's a software difference.)

paulruby
12-18-2006, 05:07 PM
I did my backup last night I used DD and mfstool to expand, so far so good.
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
mfstool add -x /dev/sdb -r 4

Thanks!

I might just be rehashing info... In case anyone still hasn't seen this... The above method is exactly what is used in the bumwine instructions seen here:

http://www.bumwine.com/tivo.html

I have no idea which came first, so not trying to start a feud. Just pointing out that it works and I used this method to upgrade my two series 3 to 750gb.

captain_video
01-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Is there any news on whether the PROM has been compromised yet to allow us to break the chain of trust? I just found out that Verizon has activated FIOS in my neighborhood so I signed up for both their internet and TV service over the weekend. I decided their DVR was inadequate for my needs since it only has a 160GB drive so I ordered an S3 Tivo from an online vendor for $615 (delivered price).

I just built an HTPC so I plan on using it for recording my OTA HD locals, which accounted for about 90% of my programming anyway. I checked with Verizon and they have cablecards available for about $2.95 each per month. I'll be able to use the S3 Tivo for recording all of my subbed premium channels without a need for an external box.

I was hoping to be able to extract some HD programming so I could burn it to DVD. There's a method for burning HD content directly to standard DVD-R/+R discs that will allow them to play back in an HD-DVD player. I've already done it with HD ty files from my HDTivos and it works great. I was hoping to be able to do it with full HD resolution files from FIOS, but that may have to wait a bit longer.

OTOH, the folks at Doom9 have found a way to decrypt the AACS copy protection on both HD-DVD and BD discs to allow ripping them to a hard drive. I just picked up an XBox 360 HD-DVD add-on drive from ebay and found a link that has drivers that will allow the drive to be recognized by WinXP. It will make a nice adition to my HTPC setup.:D

Narf54321
01-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Is there any news on whether the PROM has been compromised yet to allow us to break the chain of trust?

Quite possibly (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=52620).

captain_video
01-29-2007, 09:29 PM
LOL. Now I know I'm getting senile. I just read through that entire thread just last week and I totally forgot about it.:o

Now for the $64k question - is anyone offering a PROM upgrade service for the S3 yet? I do seem to recall that there hasn't been much done in the way of hacking the S3 yet except for a few of the basics. IIRC, the nocso patch hasn't been developed yet, which is top priority for my needs.

gcpm03
04-18-2011, 11:47 PM
hi supafly, is your image still available tried quite a few torrent sites but all where dead can you send it to me please
thank you