PDA

View Full Version : TyTool Begging Thread

at2marty
10-05-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not.

First of all, a big thank you to all that have worked so hard to give us the tools to make life with Tivo much better.:)

A couple of things that I would like to see in future releases of the software, specifically Ty Tools.

1. Support for ssh rather than telnet to access the tivo. I did find the thread that discusses getting Open ssh to work on the tivo, but I would like to see that implemented into the Ty Tools program. I would love to access, download and view programs on my tivo from the internet, but I really am not comfortable opening up telnet on my firewall.

2. Support for linux. I dual-boot my pc with both Windows and Linux. I would like to be able to use the Tytools program while in linux, again using ssh rather than telnet/ftp.

If there is a place and/or thread that discusses these issues, please point me in the right direction. Also, if any of you developers need someone to test, I am more-than-willing to offer my services.

I am by no means a programmer, but I have a pretty good working knowledge of linux. I do know how to compile source code (more or less), especially with a bit of instruction. I currently run the latest release of gentoo, and have successfully hacked 2 series 2 boxes (Dtivo units), both with the 6.2 software.

flint
10-12-2006, 09:03 PM
I'm no tivo hacking expert but I can suggest a couple things...

1. Support for ssh rather than telnet to access the tivo.

If you are going to poke a hole through your firewall for ssh, then leave a host running the ssh server available. Then you can use ssh port forwarding from there. With the number of patches that come out I'd rather only run ssh on boxes where I know I'll have constantly updated packages available.

2. Support for linux. I dual-boot my pc with both Windows and Linux. I would like to be able to use the Tytools program while in linux, again using ssh rather than telnet/ftp.

Consider vmware. Superior to dual-booting unless you've got some pretty hard-core requirements. You can get the vmware player free and then download a distro image, I run ubuntu in a vmware player when I'm stuck on my windows laptop due to work requirements.