PDA

View Full Version : Help with project: hacking the "instant backup/replay value"

TexARC
10-07-2006, 12:25 PM
As an HP archery coach I would like to use a TiVo as a training aid. There are high-dollar specialized systems that do this, but a standalone (or other) TiVo would be much more affordable for training purposes. Ideally, an olympic target archer takes about 7 to 10 seconds to complete a shot cycle. Goal is to make every shot's biomechanics exactly the same. Video filim and playback helps this tremendously, but the closer to 'real-time' feedback, the better.

Have had a hacked Series 1 for 6 or so years. The instant replay button feature on the TiVo seems to me to be a really good way to do this - video cameras input into the TIVo (adapter required to get the signal into a coax cable), video display crt right next to the archer on the shooting line, and a trigger for the instant replay. TiVo could literally be AWEsomE for this. Since it is no big deal to move a file offa the TiVo to burn to dvd, the archer & coach could have a study aid to use later as well as the real-time benefits.

Incidentally, search turns up nothing on this, but if it has already been talked about up here I would apologize in advance...

I'd like to change the number of seconds that the "instant replay" or "instant backup" button spans.

When the backup/replay button is pressed, I want the buffered TV signal to jump back anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds. I'll have to test the performance of the system and make adjustments to figure out the best number of seconds to make it jump back.

Of course, once this value is hacked, I have to figure out a way for the archer to trigger it hands-free. Some kind of foot pedal, or (way cool) a microphone that picks up the sound of the shot, waits 1 - 2 seconds, then triggers the replay button....suggestions or wild-ass notions would be gratefully received as well. :)

thanks
TexARC
webmaster, Texas State Archery Association & NAA Level III
High Performance Coach
http://www.texasarchery.org

TexARC
10-07-2006, 12:34 PM
For the curious, there are example videos of what an olympic archery shot looks like that I have posted on the TSAA website at
http://texasarchery.org/L1/HSV.htm
Most arrows are shot at 8" bullseyes 70 meters (76 yards or so) away.