PDA

View Full Version : DTivo S2 to HR10 show transfers

dcbarry
10-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Hope I'm not being too much of am *****, just looking for confirmation.

I was hoping to use ms_FTP to transfer a large collection of shows from my Samsung DTIVO S2 (6.2) to to my HR10-250 (was 3.1.5 now 6.3) using my file server as an intermediate stop.

However, I gather that since the no-scramble hack was not in place on the source TIVO, I'd need to unscramble.o the s2 recodings first, which if I follow correctly involves making kernel level changes which are probabbly beyond my time and ability to perform. (If my tivo is offline for more than 3 hours, wifey get grouchy.... And God help me if I make it unstable or unbootable!) Also, sounds like there is a lot of manual effort (Play each show for a few seconds before exporting.)

What I'm really looking to verify is that I haven't missed another possibility.... for example, exporting the keys used for scrambling from the source TIVO and importing to the dest Tivo. I'm sure if this was a possibility, I'd have seen it by now.... but just in case, I'm asking.

thanks,

d.

Wow, the censor is a little uptight. all I did was refer to myself as a 1D10T.

d.

Narf54321
10-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Your best bet is to superpatch the Samsung so that any future shows aren't encrypted.

Then: yes, alas you need to load the unscramble module and do the "start playing for a few moments" trick to remove the encryption on your existing recordings.

A few folks have messed around with FXP type programs to help transfer from one tivo to the other. If you try this, make sure the queues are set to only transfer one file/program at a time.

dcbarry
10-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Appreciate the reply Narf. Are you Narf of "Narf and Blanka" fame (OSX86), perchance?

In any case, obviously, that would be the ideal (engaging no scamble) , but the sad fact is there are already about 200 shows that need to be moved that existed before I got my hands on it. I'm actually going to retire that box when I'm done, hence the need for the xfer.

Also the mfs_ftp process looks to be a lengthy process, even over my wired network. I saw there is a unscramble "in place" method. If I went down that route, is there a defined method for a drive to drive xfer in the PC, or is mfs_FTP really the only game?

Thanks again.

d.

Bicster
10-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Is insertion safe/tested on 6.3a?

I was thinking of converting some non-TiVo-originated 1080i material to ty format and inserting it on my HR10-250.

Narf54321
10-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Are you Narf of "Narf and Blanka" fame (OSX86)

Sadly no. More of an old Pinky and the Brain fan who anonymously lurks the 'net. And I'm way way behind any happenings going on at Apple. I never thought I'd actually use this account much at DDB, and never put much thought into my handle.

In any case, obviously, that would be the ideal (engaging no scamble) , but the sad fact is there are already about 200 shows that need to be moved that existed before I got my hands on it. I'm actually going to retire that box when I'm done, hence the need for the xfer.

I think you'd be surprised how quickly you can go through your Now Playing list once you've set up the noscramble module. If you just do a couple dozen at a time, you can take a break and still get them all done within one or two nights. I once had to delete about 75 bogus NowPlaying listings from an mfsrestore and once I found my groove it ended up only taking a few minutes.

Also the mfs_ftp process looks to be a lengthy process, even over my wired network. I saw there is a unscramble "in place" method. If I went down that route, is there a defined method for a drive to drive xfer in the PC, or is mfs_FTP really the only game?

PC drive-to-drive is possible, but ugly and likely to take longer. I haven't had the pleasure of doing it myself, but it involves pulling the individual chunks out of MFS, manually keeping track of them all, and then trying to assemble them all back again later.

mfs_ftp can be fairly reasonable with Jamie's backport drivers. There's also been discussion on using jumbo-frames on Giga-ethernet LAN setups to get shockingly fast transfers, but you need to get the right USB-dongle and network hub.

cheer
10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Is insertion safe/tested on 6.3a?

I was thinking of converting some non-TiVo-originated 1080i material to ty format and inserting it on my HR10-250.
Insertion in general seems fine on 6.3x, so long as you make the change Jamie recommends to mfs_ftp. See the 6.3x info thread for details.

As to non-Tivo-originated...let us know how it goes. :) I will be curious to see the results.

whitepelican
10-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Insertion in general seems fine on 6.3x, so long as you make the change Jamie recommends to mfs_ftp. See the 6.3x info thread for details.

As to non-Tivo-originated...let us know how it goes. :) I will be curious to see the results.

I've done quite a few insertions on 6.3(a), but it was all from DVDs and so none of it was HD resolutions. I used the ty-enabled ffmpeg to create the TYs and then uploaded with MFS_FTP. I've had a few reboots during playback, but they've been rare.