PDA

View Full Version : Using TyTool/tserver without superpatch

Mr2001
10-19-2006, 10:46 PM
I've had a standalone Series2 (240) unit for a while now, upgraded to 120 GB and hacked (killhdinitrd, superpatch), which I occasionally use to make DVDs and AVIs by extracting and editing with TyTool. I recently bought a dual tuner (649) unit, which is still unmodded, but I plan to upgrade the hard drive this week. Both are running 7.3.1, IIRC.

When I set up the new DVR, I was getting error messages whenever I tried to use multi-room viewing. I found out that this was because a superpatched TiVo can't share video with an unpatched one, so I restored the original tivoapp on my 240 and now sharing works fine.

Of course, without the patched tivoapp, everything it records will be encrypted, so I can't use my TyTool process, right? I know I have these alternatives:

1. Extract the shows with TivoToGo and jump through some hoops to decrypt them on my PC and produce editable MPG files. Last I checked, this was a tedious process involving GraphEdit.

2. Do a PROM mod on the 649, replace the kernel, etc., and apply the superpatch on both units. I really don't feel comfortable soldering expensive electronics. I know someone who might be able to do it, but that's a last resort.

But these are both unsatisfactory. Is there a way to maybe get tserver to decrypt as it transfers? Some way I can keep using essentially the same applications I've been using--at least for shows that I originally recorded on the 240--but without breaking MRV and without having to do any risky hardware mods to the 649?

ScanMan
10-19-2006, 11:02 PM
1. Extract the shows with TivoToGo and jump through some hoops to decrypt them on my PC and produce editable MPG files. Last I checked, this was a tedious process involving GraphEdit.
Not sure about your tserver question, but this isn't as tedious if you use something like DirectShowDump to process the .tivo files. IMO the biggest drawback to 'stock' tools is the significantly slower download times with TivoToGo.