PDA

View Full Version : Extracting Video From an MFS Volume without Tytools

masquedavenger
10-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Hey everyone. Please forgive me if I'm asking a question that's been asked before. I've been googling around for a few hours trying to find information, but most of the links I've found are dated 2003 and below (although I discovered these forums, where I've found many recent posts from this year! :), and I've been frustrated out of my mind trying to find a definitive answer.

I have a DirectTivo series2, running version 6.2 of the standard TiVO software. I had accumulated quite a lot of recordings (almost 500GB now) before I'd had the chance to try and apply some of the more common hacks for video extraction (such as getting networking configured and installing TyTools) and the more I've googled the more worried I am that I'm not going to be able to get at these recordings (or at least I won't be able to easily, if it's possible.) From what I understand, recordings are stored on the volume as a database with various entries, each of which in turn store multiple fsids, which refer to non-contiguous chunks of data stringed together by an XML file. Also, I've discovered that most likely, at least with the DirectTivo, my recordings are going to have the additional handicap of being scrambled. It's very frustrating because all I want to do is archive the shows I've legitimately recorded on my own personal computer for future viewing so that I can make more room available on the TiVO for recent recordings, and because of all these hurdles it's so difficult :(

Is it possible for me to attempt to extract these recordings on my own from the hard drive? A long time has passed between 2003 and today, and I'm hoping that at least some of the difficulties with series2 TiVOs (especially DirectTivos!) have been ironed out since the articles I've read were written.

I certainly have no problem RTFM, so if anybody knows of a good resource to help me out I'd be most grateful, and of course also if anybody has any personal experiences with doing something similiar I'd love to hear about it! :)

Thanks so much everyone!

James

SpoonsJTD
10-20-2006, 02:49 AM
Your first hurdle is unscrambling:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39207&highlight=unscramble

Then you will be able to extract using mfs_ftp (the easiest method IMO).

Narf54321
10-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Definitely unscramble, so you can do something with the shows.

Load a killhdinitrd kernel, disable iptables, and get Jamie's more recent USB drivers.

You might also want to check out the Soapbox Derby thread and maybe get Gigabit ethernet running at your place. Getting the jumbo-frames working across your LAN would drastically speed up the time needed to pull 500GB worth of shows from your TiVo.

SpoonsJTD
10-20-2006, 12:57 PM
I thought about this some more, for the first mass extraction for 500GB, you might consider doing a pc extraction after pulling the drive:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23192

You will need to unscramble first, obviously, no matter what you do. If you pull the drive, you'll want to run mfs first since it caches the fsid's for you (see the linked thread).

If you don't want to pull the drive, see Narf's comment. Might also consider a cross-over cable.

masquedavenger
10-20-2006, 02:09 PM
I thought about this some more, for the first mass extraction for 500GB, you might consider doing a pc extraction after pulling the drive:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23192

That's more along the lines of what I'd like to do.

You will need to unscramble first, obviously, no matter what you do. If you pull the drive, you'll want to run mfs first since it caches the fsid's for you (see the linked thread).

Just to get this clear, I have to install the hack, then view each program I want to extract for a few seconds to cache the encryption key, and then I can pull the hard drive and do an mfs extraction, right?

Thanks guys :) I really appreciate the help.

James

masquedavenger
10-20-2006, 02:12 PM

Just to get this clear, I have to install the hack, then view each program I want to extract for a few seconds to cache the encryption key, and then I can pull the hard drive and do an mfs extraction, right?

Actually, reading again I guess you said to extract from the MFS partition first, but I'm confused because I had read in one of the other links that the unscrambling operation is tied to the TiVO. If I could extract from the MFS partition first and then unscramble, then I'd much prefer to do that of course :)

James

SpoonsJTD
10-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Nope, sorry, you have to unscramble on the tivo. The unscramble technique uses the tivo software and the keys tied to the tivo to unscramble the show. If I understand it correctly, it basically tricks the tivo into playing them unscrambled as opposed to actually performing some kind of decryption on the file itself.

masquedavenger
10-21-2006, 01:20 AM
Nope, sorry, you have to unscramble on the tivo. The unscramble technique uses the tivo software and the keys tied to the tivo to unscramble the show. If I understand it correctly, it basically tricks the tivo into playing them unscrambled as opposed to actually performing some kind of decryption on the file itself.

Ah, ok. So that means I won't be able to extract directly from the HD :( Ah well. I'll just have to do the hacks I really should have done when I first got the TiVO anyway.

Thanks for the help guys.

James

lenoxb
10-23-2006, 06:46 PM
If I understand it correctly, it basically tricks the tivo into playing them unscrambled as opposed to actually performing some kind of decryption on the file itself.

Although I don't know what's going on inside the boxes, this doesn't square with my experience at a "black box" level.

I started with two Tivos loaded (of course) with scrambled programs. I installed the usual hacks on both, and then used the "monte into noscramble kernel" trick to unscramble every show on each Tivo.

After doing this, I could transfer any show from one Tivo to the other and play them with no trouble. If those shows were not unscrambled, this such a remarkable facsimile of unscrambling that I don't know why I'd ever need the real thing.

cheer
10-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Nono, you had it right, they really do get unscrambled.

SpoonsJTD
10-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Sorry I am just getting back to this post. I didn't mean that the end result is that the files aren't unscrambled. What I meant was, the process tricks the tivo into spitting the shows out unscrambled (technically, spitting out the keys it needs) so that they can be captured unscrambled as opposed to applying a decryption algorithm directly to the recorded shows in the database. Again, this is my limited understanding.

The point being, you can't do it offline (hard drive pulled) because the s2_unscramble authors didn't come up with an independent algorithm that decrypts the recording. You have to do it online because it requires the tivo that did the recording's keys, which can only be retrieved by mechanisms that have to run on the tivo. The poster was hoping to be able to pull the drive and\or extract first and apply the unscrambling after. I was trying to explain why that wouldn't work.

Sorry for the confusion.