PDA

View Full Version : Possible MRV in near future??

mohrpj01
11-07-2006, 01:54 AM
Thought this was worthy of sharing:

Unable to transfer video as of yet, but can now see S2 from S3 and vice versa:

From TCF:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=324647&page=2

cheer
11-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Thought this was worthy of sharing:

Unable to transfer video as of yet, but can now see S2 from S3 and vice versa:

From TCF:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=324647&page=2
The fact that that is possible in no way means that MRV code is present or usable. Just FYI.

michaelk
11-20-2006, 02:44 PM
all the press about the new tivocast options talk about the S3.

I think it's just a matter of time now (at least for SD/analog and OTA content- who knows what walls cablelabs erects for digital cable channels).

Also- at some point cablelabs needs to reject it (it's not clear if tivo is playing nice and trying to work it out before formally applying so they can get a formal denial). Once Tivo applies for approval there is a time period where cablelabs must give an 'unbiased' approval or denial.

Assuming they deny it.

Tivo has the right to get the FCC to arbitrate. Considering the FCC approved the tivoguard DRM for the broadcast flag (before it was overturned by the courts) it wouldn't be a long shot that the FCC sides with tivo and forces cablelabs to approve it:

FCC cable dude: "Ok Cablelabs, why did you deny tivo's DRM?"
CL "it is no good"
FCC cable "tivo, can you explain why it's good"
Tivo " well it's all complex- so maybe I'll let you ask your FCC broadcast flag guy who approved it years ago- can we go get him- he's right down the hall?"
FCC cable guy "sure"
FCC cable guy" why hello FCC broadcast flag guy from down the hall- is the tivo DRM secure?"
FCC broadcast guy "Yup"
Cablelabs " we object- nanny nanny boo boo unfair unfair - I'm takign my bat and abll and going home"
FCC cable guy " tivo wins"

TTG and all the flaws there might get blocked, but gotta figure MRV between 2 secure tivo's would be allowed.

(remember cablelabs already approved tivo as secure enough and their encryption as secure enough- it's just a matter of it it's secure enough to travers a lan between boxes)

AlphaWolf
11-20-2006, 06:33 PM
TBH tivo's DRM isn't really that secure.

SpoonsJTD
11-21-2006, 12:23 AM
TBH tivo's DRM isn't really that secure.

Good thing, too, or this forum would be REALLY boring. :)