PDA

View Full Version : TyShow development

Kurtis
11-07-2006, 12:21 PM
I can't find a thread for this. Who does it? I patched the Windows side with the CVS from sourceforge to allow mpeg2 decoders other than Mpeg2DecFilter and to limit pin connections to mpeg2 video and mpeg2 audio or ac3. My thought is that most mpeg2 decoders are much better than they used to be, and some systems (like mine) just can't handle CPU-only decoding of HD streams. After this patch I can watch vserver-streamed HD off my TiVo using PureVideo and my Nvidia GPU to process.

I shouldn't just post the binaries here, right? Who controls the CVS for TyShow at sourceforge?

SteveT
11-07-2006, 02:07 PM
I can't find a thread for this. Who does it? I patched the Windows side with the CVS from sourceforge to allow mpeg2 decoders other than Mpeg2DecFilter and to limit pin connections to mpeg2 video and mpeg2 audio or ac3. My thought is that most mpeg2 decoders are much better than they used to be, and some systems (like mine) just can't handle CPU-only decoding of HD streams. After this patch I can watch vserver-streamed HD off my TiVo using PureVideo and my Nvidia GPU to process.

I shouldn't just post the binaries here, right? Who controls the CVS for TyShow at sourceforge?d7o was administering the CVS, but he hasn't posted on DDB in 2 years.

I'm not sure there'd be any problems posting the binaries, but a patch that could be applied over the CVS source would definitely seem safe. Can you post that?

Does this work reliably for OTA and DirecTV HD shows? What OS is your TiVo using?

I've been debugging various problems playing 6.3a HD files I downloaded using mfs_ftp, but so far, I'm still in way over my head.

Kurtis
11-08-2006, 12:14 AM
d7o was administering the CVS, but he hasn't posted on DDB in 2 years.

Oh. So it's essentially orphaned?

I'm not sure there'd be any problems posting the binaries, but a patch that could be applied over the CVS source would definitely seem safe. Can you post that?

Yeah. I'll make one tomorrow I hope.

Does this work reliably for OTA and DirecTV HD shows? What OS is your TiVo using?

Reliable... I haven't banged on it with a hammer or anything. I changed like four lines Monday and compiled it, and since then my wife and I have streamed Heroes OTA in HD (though not while recording... see the mfs soapbox derby thread) and it looked great in PureVideo. So, um, I've tested it once, but it was a really simple change. :-) I've done one OTA SD show (Sesame Street) for my son and one DirecTV SD (The Wonder Pets) also for my son, and they both worked too, so I guess technically I've done it three times.

I'm on 6.3a with Jamie's custom kernel in a monte and the vserver from the unmentionable script's busybox distribution.

I've been debugging various problems playing 6.3a HD files I downloaded using mfs_ftp, but so far, I'm still in way over my head.

Hm. I haven't seen any particular problems, but like I said, I've been working on streaming speed (again, see mfs soapbox thread) so I haven't tested it on lots of streams. I've seen the first 10 seconds or so of about 10 streams, but I doubt that'd show many errors.

EDIT: My main hope... well, basically I was surprised nobody had already done this. I guess I should go searching for tyshow patches on this board. Off the top of their head, does anybody know of any others? We should try to put out an update if there are more than three or four.

SteveT
11-08-2006, 08:55 AM
....Yeah. I'll make one tomorrow I hope.Cool. Hopefully, you'll include your AC3 patch for vsrvsrc as well?

Kurtis
11-08-2006, 11:36 AM
I mistyped. It's TySplitter, not VSrvSrc that needed the change; it's only one if statement. I feel sheepish calling it a "patch". :-)

Anyway, here it is. After this AC3 audio should be an allowed audio type and any MPEG2 decoder can be used.

SteveT
11-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I mistyped. It's TySplitter, not VSrvSrc that needed the change; it's only one if statement. I feel sheepish calling it a "patch". :-)
Anyway, here it is. After this AC3 audio should be an allowed audio type and any MPEG2 decoder can be used.Thanks! I've applied the patch and recompiled TySplitter.ax. Unfortunately, I don't have any HD shows on my laptop so I'll have to wait until tonight to give it a go.

UPDATE: Gave it a try and I'm now able to play several HD files that I could not play before your patch. However, several SD files that played fine before now have audio sync problems, especially if I skip around using the playbar.

Kurtis
11-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I started having funkiness too. I'm actually wondering if the modules are registering and being called correctly because of Unicode issues, because my earlier personal version (which had many more hacks because my baseclasses stuff from the PSDK was compiled multi-byte, not Unicode) played several more streams; now I'm getting several "a component had an error, but didn't return the information."

Let me poke around on it and I'll see what I can do. My guess is that the CVS is actually probably not in the smoothest of states, or that, in fact, the code isn't Unicode happy....

What version of TyShow were you using beforehand? Something off of here, or one of the binaries from Sourceforge, or did you compile your own from CVS?

UPDATE: BTW, I used the Sourceforge email system to email d7o about handing over CVS control to me. If I don't hear from him in a while (probably by next year) I'll fork the project so I can start putting some stuff up.

Kurtis
11-09-2006, 01:01 PM
EDIT: remove duplicate post... sorry

SteveT
11-09-2006, 01:26 PM
What version of TyShow were you using beforehand? Something off of here, or one of the binaries from Sourceforge, or did you compile your own from CVS?I historically used the binaries from SourceForge, more recently I've been using one compiled from CVS source, with some more debugging statements tossed about to educate myself on how this works.
UPDATE: BTW, I used the Sourceforge email system to email d7o about handing over CVS control to me. If I don't hear from him in a while (probably by next year) I'll fork the project so I can start putting some stuff up.Sounds great. Thanks!

Kurtis
11-12-2006, 12:11 AM
UPDATE: Gave it a try and I'm now able to play several HD files that I could not play before your patch. However, several SD files that played fine before now have audio sync problems, especially if I skip around using the playbar.

Looking at the source for hdemux 0.13 it seems that TySplitter needs some work.

Additionally, the audio sync problem may be related to your codec usage. I changed it to not require Mpeg2DecFilter anymore, so now your HD files are using another Mpeg2 decoder on your machine (and thus, working) but your decoder is getting things out of sync? I suspect, though, that TySplitter is supposed to handle sync as the demuxer, and this decoupling is just exposing a TySplitter bug.

Anyway, I'm finishing up setting up my system (check the MFS soapbox thread) to make transfers possible and sufficiently fast. I'll look at TyShow stuff more after that (probably a week or two.)

Kurtis
11-15-2006, 10:59 PM
I'm the dumbest person in the world. *sigh*

So, here's a patch against the CVS that removes my stupidity. I should've just removed the check entirely, instead of trying to edit the logic, because the logic I was trying to create already exists in the graph engine, so we get the right stuff just by having the outputs created correctly.

I'm sure this doesn't fix problems, except the ones I created (SteveT's SD streams) so don't count on this to be your magic bullet.

And make sure you have:

* a good, recent, Mpeg2 codec (since this will assume one is installed)
* a good, recent, AC-3 codec (probably came with the above, but FFDShow provides a good one, too)
* a good, recent, Mpeg audio codec (FFDShow is, again, good)

SteveT
11-16-2006, 08:02 PM
...So, here's a patch against the CVS....Thanks! This works great! I still have a few HD files that won't play, but this version is a big improvement over the CVS. I'll try and debug the "bad" ones and see if I see any pattern to them.

EDIT: I was also able to play "good" .ty files from inside WME (with WMP11 and latest MCE updates), but only after I appended .avi as the file extension. The files wouldn't show up at all as .ty or .ty+. I'll investigate where MCE stores its allowable extensions. I could also see the renamed files from the Xbox360 Media Center Extender and play the video (looked great!), but not the audio. This was true of SD and HD files.

This is getting good.

Kurtis
11-17-2006, 04:49 PM
If I get you a place to put streams, can you send me some bad ones? Apparently almost everything I have on hand is good: the only bug I'm seeing is one file apparently has a bad chunk at the beginning, so TyShow aborts on seeking, which seems odd since I don't think that it actually uses that for seeking.

I'm currently refactoring the code to make it easier to extend (there's a bit of copy and paste going on) as well as add tmf file support (the only feature request I've heard, I think), since once we get all the chunk handling separated from the actual internals of reading the chunks it'll be easy to add different files that use the same chunk structure.

I'd like to rework the code so that it isn't dependent on the whole file being read in at once for stuff, to enable you to stream it over non-vserver connections (like regular http).

Maybe this is the excuse I need to get my wife to buy me an xbox 360? :-)

SteveT
11-17-2006, 07:13 PM
If I get you a place to put streams, can you send me some bad ones?....Sure! I'll just have to copy them to my laptop and upload from work. I'll also need to figure out how to chop them down to a more reasonable size without hiding the problems. Any suggestions on that?

EDIT:
If you're taking enhancement requests, the last post d7o made in this thread referred to a problem opening multiple instances and preventing two-pass encoding. See here (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185717#494). I'd like to see that as well, so I can have more options with eTiVo.

sanderton
01-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Can I (very belatedly) second the request for the two-pass bug to be fixed. It would greatly increase the quality of eTivoed files.

imaloserbaby
01-26-2007, 12:42 PM
This fixes the problems trying to register VSrvSrc.ax and TySplitter.ax (I think?) that also seem to put garbage in the registry (as part of the failing).

The changes were as follows (I basically removed the va_args stuff as it didn't play nice on Vista and wasn't really used as var args anyway):

TySplitter / registry.cpp :

void RegisterSourceFilter(const CLSID& clsid, const GUID& subtype2, LPCTSTR chkbytes, LPCTSTR ext, LPCTSTR unused)
{
CString null = CStringFromGUID(GUID_NULL);
CString majortype = CStringFromGUID(MEDIATYPE_Stream);
CString subtype = CStringFromGUID(subtype2);

if( chkbytes )
{
SetRegKeyValue(_T("Media Type\\") + majortype, subtype, _T("0"), chkbytes);
SetRegKeyValue(_T("Media Type\\") + majortype, subtype, _T("Source Filter"), CStringFromGUID(CLSID_AsyncReader));
}

// NOTE: va_xxxxx really doesn't work well at all with Vista for some reason? Possibly 2003 server also?
// Besides, they really don't seem to be used?
//va_list marker;
//va_start(marker, ext);
//for(; ext; ext = va_arg(marker, LPCTSTR))
//{
SetRegKeyValue(_T("Media Type\\Extensions"), ext, _T("Source Filter"), CStringFromGUID(CLSID_AsyncReader));
SetRegKeyValue(_T("Media Type\\Extensions"), ext, _T("Media Type"), majortype);
SetRegKeyValue(_T("Media Type\\Extensions"), ext, _T("SubType"), subtype);
//}
//va_end(marker);
}

void RegisterProtocolFilter(LPCTSTR protocol, const CLSID& clsid, LPCTSTR ext)
{
CString id = CStringFromGUID(clsid);

SetRegKeyValue(protocol, 0, _T("Source Filter"), id);

// NOTE: va_xxxxx really doesn't work well at all with Vista for some reason? Possibly 2003 server also?
// Besides, they really don't seem to be used?
//va_list marker = NULL;
//va_start(marker, ext);

//for(; ext; ext = va_arg(marker, LPCTSTR))
{
SetRegKeyValue(protocol, _T("Extensions"), ext, id);
}
//va_end(marker);
}

--------

I also think the following REG file is better, since it's text only, so also works nice on Vista, 98, etc (but it begs the question - couldn't one of the other dlls register the info as the do the other registry info? Boy I wish we had access to cvs - maybe we can start a new project on sourceforge worst case?

Anyway, heres the new reg file:
(paste into a file blah.reg or whatever)

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ty]
"PerceivedType"="video"
"Content Type"="video/ty"
@="mpegfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ty\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ty\OpenWithList\wmplayer.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ty\OpenWithProgIds]
"mpegfile"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ty\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ty\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ty\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}"

tlphipps
01-26-2007, 01:45 PM
I'd be more than happy to test on Vista (x64), but I don't have the ability to compile it. Any chance you could provide binaries?

imaloserbaby
01-27-2007, 10:26 AM
EDIT: OK, I've put together two builds here (really only TySplitter changed).

The one that does TySplitter the "original way" but has the Vista fix is Build 16, and the one using the "new way" (as I understand, but might need clarification, relies on a decoder already present on the system and therefore doesn't use Mpeg2DecFilter.ax?) is Build 17.

BTW - Kurtis, I'm hoping it's ok to post this binary, as it incorporates your work, but as courtesy I'm asking, let me know if you want it removed.

EDIT: Confirmed working on 2003 Server too. (Thanks TechFarmer).

It is compiled as x86 (i.e. 32-bit) and will therefore work under x64. (Confirmed working under Vista x64).

I also included the NT4/98 compatible .reg file.

tlphipps
01-27-2007, 11:25 AM
This worked just fine on my Vista x64 build. Just unrarred, ran the .bat file, ran the .reg file, and fired up WMP.

I'm able to stream just fine on my Vista box now.

Thanks! Now I'd love to be able to get a build that incorporated the other fixes mentioned in this thread!!

scottwkurth
01-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I've been away from ddb for a long time. Sorry... I started work on several bug fixes and features for people and then had to shelve this for personal reasons. I'd hate for this to die on the vine because I ran out of time to work on it. I have a work-in-progress version with some fixes and features that I was tinkering with that I should add back into the CVS.

I've received a couple messages from people looking to revitalize development of TyShow. Unfortunately, I do not currently have administrative rights to add anyone to the project. While I could submit code that others send me to get it into the official codebase, this is hardly ideal and I'd hate for me to become a chokepoint if I can't devote enough time to it.

Since unfortunately d7o has moved on, I've requested an admin takeover on the project from Sourceforge. I will post back with status as I hear back on that. If that goes through I'll add the interested parties to the project so that they can contribute what they have learned while working on it.

imaloserbaby
01-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I've requested an admin takeover on the project from Sourceforge. I will post back with status as I hear back on that. If that goes through I'll add the interested parties to the project so that they can contribute what they have learned while working on it.

That's good news, and thanks, let us know how you get on.

imaloserbaby
01-27-2007, 12:56 PM
< s n i p >

TechFarmer
01-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Beta-0.17 worked perfectly on my Windows Server 2003 PC. Windows Media Player had no problems playing the ty+ file from my HD TiVo.

imaloserbaby
01-28-2007, 01:07 PM
A Google search yielded:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms977847.aspx

Which said:

IConfigAsfWriter2

Provides methods for getting and setting the Advanced Streaming Format (ASF) profiles the WM ASF Writer filter will use to write files as well as supporting new capabilities in the Windows Media Format 9 Series SDK such as two-pass encoding and support for deinterlaced video.

- It appears from this that we'd just need to support this interface in the appropriate place, and two-pass should work. Now the only problem is, that's about as much as I know! :-)

I saw that IFileSourceFilter is implemented in VsrvSrc, so I'm guessing it's there, anyone else have any ideas on this one?

tecknows
02-01-2007, 03:17 AM
Beta-017 works fine in Vista builds 5744 and above (only tried the x32). Can stream directly from my HR10-250 without problem and obviously play local .ty content in wmp and most other players. Have some issues still with full HD content not rendering correctly but can live with that. Make sure you add an ac3 codec if you are recording in DD on your unit... Keep up the good work:)

imaloserbaby
02-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Glad to hear it works for Vista, bear in mind that Kurtis takes full credit for the HD support and utilising existing filters/decoders. My fix was merely for Vista, and to incorporate his change into the binary version (build 17). I'm still a bit leary of putting these builds on the main TyShow thread, but so far the feedback seems positive.

ccalabro
02-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi and thanks for the latest beta. to confirm it works fine in vista business just had to manually run the regsrv32 commands as administrator as the batch file did not work even when run as administrator. now can stream perfectly from tivoweb. thanks again!

scavern
02-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Build 17 didn't work so great on my vista business... aspect ratio was completely off and there were some interlacing issues. Then I installed build 16 and all was well again :)

Jimmyray007
02-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Tried installing Beta-0.15, Beta-0.16 AND Beta-0.17 on my Vista Business x32, none would go. All would get an error for each of the 3 modules . .

"RegSvr32

The module "TySplitter.ax" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005.

For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term."

Same error for Mpeg2DecFilter.ax and VsrvSrc.ax, for all three TyShow betas.

UPDATE!

I had previously tried manually running the regsrv32 commands like ccalabro in post 27 to no avail, however I didn't know if the command console was running as Administrator or not. The top of the window just said:

"C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe"

So, I browsed to the system32 folder, and tried right-clicking on cmd.exe and selecting "Run as administrator", and the top of the window now said:

"Administrator: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe"

In the console, using "cd" commands, I changed to the directory where I extracted TyShow-BETA-0.16, ran "register.bat" in the command console, and VOILA! All three registered properly, and after using the TyExtionsion, I can play in media player 11.

However, a new problem has arisen. If I use the Watch Live TV plug-in in TivoWebPlus 1.3.1 to view whats on the tuners, it opens Media Player 11, loads the stream, and plays the stream. But if I try selecting the other tuner, Media Player crashes with this error:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

If I click the tuner link again, Media Player opens and will load the stream, but won't play, it just shows a frozen image. If I close Media Player properly and click the link again, Media Player opens, loads the stream, and plays properly. However, if I try to change to the other tuner, it crashes every time, even if I select the same tuner that was already streaming. I tried in XP which is using the TyShow-BETA-0.15 and it works fine with Media Player 11.

Not sure if this is an issue with Media Player 11 on Vista, or the TyShow, or both.... As long as I close Media Player before switching tuners, everything works great.

Thanks for all the development and support to help guys like me out. It's appreciated!!

scottwkurth
02-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I've been away from ddb for a long time. Sorry... I started work on several bug fixes and features for people and then had to shelve this for personal reasons. I'd hate for this to die on the vine because I ran out of time to work on it. I have a work-in-progress version with some fixes and features that I was tinkering with that I should add back into the CVS.

I've received a couple messages from people looking to revitalize development of TyShow. Unfortunately, I do not currently have administrative rights to add anyone to the project. While I could submit code that others send me to get it into the official codebase, this is hardly ideal and I'd hate for me to become a chokepoint if I can't devote enough time to it.

Since unfortunately d7o has moved on, I've requested an admin takeover on the project from Sourceforge. I will post back with status as I hear back on that. If that goes through I'll add the interested parties to the project so that they can contribute what they have learned while working on it.

Sourceforge approved my application to become an admin on the project and I finally got added. They approved it almost immediately, but it took a few weeks to actually take effect.

Parties interested in being added to the project please send me a PM with your sourceforge UNIX name and I will add folks as necessary. Since you have all kept this moving I'm going to wait to commit any of my changes until after the "current" versions floating around are reflected back on the site.

Thanks,
Scott

technojunkie
02-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm running Vista Home Premium (32 bit) and have run the latest TyShow builds. While I can view streaming video from the TiVo's I can not get local .ty files to play under WMP11. I've tried changing the extension to .mpg but still nothing. When I was running under XP I had no such issues. If this is a codec issue I can't seem to find ones for Vista. Any help would be appreciated.

BrianS
02-17-2007, 11:33 AM
I am glad to see the update - I had this all working on my Vista MCE x32 from WMP and within MCE. I moved to Vista MCE x64 and although WMP is still functioning I did lose the ability to play them from within MCE x63; I get a generic error 'Windows Media Center cannot open the file' - the files I create are .asx file pointing to the Ty file as an IP. I have shut my firewall down to see if that is it but it made no difference.

I originally set this all up in MCE 2005 and the Vista 32 install was an upgrade from that so most of my stuff worked near out of the box - the Vista x64 install however is a new install and I am just trying to get back to where I was.

Any help appreciated.

FredThompson
03-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Mpeg2DecFilter.ax is a horrible piece of junk. Gabest made it 4 years ago when MPEG2 decoding in DirectShow wasn't that common. It will conflict with ffdshow and probably other transform filters.

realbigmike
04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I just cannot get the VsrvSrc.ax to register (regsvr32 VsrvSrc.ax), using the register.bat or not. It crashes and says register server has stopped after TySplitter.ax and Mpeg2DecFilter.ax register just fine.

I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I have tried this 100 times with CMD as administrator, etc.

FredThompson
04-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Read the post above yours. With regard to VsrvSrc.ax, I have no idea unless you're breaking the codecs by using that old piece of crap Mpeg2DecFilter.ax. If you have Nero installed, use GSpot to unregister its MPEG2 filters. They are all broken and will create problems.

realbigmike
04-06-2007, 03:52 AM
Thanks Fred,
Gspot worked to remove those nero codecs and the old Mpeg2DecFilter.ax
I could successfully register all 3 files with register.bat in TyShow.zip

I still cannot play the tivo shows in WMP, maybe some other codec is still in the way. I installed a codec pack for vista when I installed the OS. The error I get is that WMP "ecountered a problem" when trying to play the show.

If I download them with TyShow I can still play them (I only tried as mpg so far)

FredThompson
04-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Don't use Mpeg2DecFilter. Get rid of it. It's broken. It's old. It creates problems with proper MPEG2 filters.

find the tytool techniques thread and get the MPC player from it. That should work.

realbigmike
05-27-2007, 04:12 AM
I tried again with TyShow-BETA-0.17.rar in page 2 of this thread and it is working with Vista Ultimate and needed no other files than what was included :D

Thanks guys.

Inter Alia
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
UPDATE!

I had previously tried manually running the regsrv32 commands like ccalabro in post 27 to no avail, however I didn't know if the command console was running as Administrator or not. The top of the window just said:

"C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe"

So, I browsed to the system32 folder, and tried right-clicking on cmd.exe and selecting "Run as administrator", and the top of the window now said:

"Administrator: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe"

In the console, using "cd" commands, I changed to the directory where I extracted TyShow-BETA-0.16, ran "register.bat" in the command console, and VOILA! All three registered properly, and after using the TyExtionsion, I can play in media player 11.

That was the answer for me, too! Many thanks!

Kurtis
08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
So, I apologize for my long silence. Two things:

1) I have a version of the source that (for me) fixes the old two-pass, multiple playback crash. I'll try to put it up soon; it was problems with the included mfs source. The mfs source uses lots of global variables and other global state assumptions that cause it to not unregister properly. Rather than fix this, I moved all the mfs code to a separate DLL and now load and unload it in order to clear global state. It's ugly, but I don't want to be the one to refactor that old code.

2) I just finally got an HD dish and upped my DTV to HD content, and I'm getting a weird issue with Satellite HD channels (primarily, maybe only, HDNet) where the audio and video don't sync; the video just plays as fast as possible, leaving the audio way behind. This only seems to affect my HDNet streams, and converting them with tytompg works perfectly, so I'm guessing that I need to import some logic from there into TySplitter.

I haven't been working on this much; I had to much Real Life (TM) plus some failed Archos hacking in the meantime.

Next step is to abstract the file reader stuff to make it tar aware so that tmf files can be used.

Kurtis
08-04-2007, 09:21 PM
The one that does TySplitter the "original way" but has the Vista fix is Build 16, and the one using the "new way" (as I understand, but might need clarification, relies on a decoder already present on the system and therefore doesn't use Mpeg2DecFilter.ax?) is Build 17.

BTW - Kurtis, I'm hoping it's ok to post this binary, as it incorporates your work, but as courtesy I'm asking, let me know if you want it removed.

My "changes" were hardly such. One if statment, as I recall. ;-)

Anyway, in case I haven't specified it anywhere... my changes to TyShow are now officially public domain (that doesn't mean TyShow is public domain, it's just the least restrictive I can say so that any redistribution of TyShow without any of my changes can also be redistributed with my changes.)

Plus, hey, you don't even need to keep up with a copyright notice.

Which approach works better? I'll patch my code with it and put it up somewhere. Then, maybe, I should just fork, change the name, and start a new project. Unless somebody knows how to take over orphaned projects on Sourceforge?

Kurtis
08-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I should read ALL the posts before responding to ones in the past....

I just requested CVS access on sourceforge. Hopefully we'll have something up soon, then.

Kurtis
08-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Since it's GPL, this is legal (or will be, as soon as I get the source up in the sourceforge spot)...

Run register.bat to do it, and you'll need to run register.bat as admin if you're on Vista.

I _think_ this is all the up to date changes posted, but I confess I did this in a hurry (past my 2-yr old's bedtime already) so if there's a problem let me know and I'll repost.

TechFarmer
08-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Kurtis, thanks for all of your hard work on this and thanks for taking the initiative and keeping tyshow updated.

Smee
09-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Since it's GPL, this is legal (or will be, as soon as I get the source up in the sourceforge spot)...

Run register.bat to do it, and you'll need to run register.bat as admin if you're on Vista.

I _think_ this is all the up to date changes posted, but I confess I did this in a hurry (past my 2-yr old's bedtime already) so if there's a problem let me know and I'll repost.

Kurtis,

Thanks for the update. One question though. What is mfsengine.dll for?

Thanks...

Smee

Kurtis
09-30-2007, 02:20 AM
Sorry for the long absence guys. I may not be able to take this over the last hurdle; I was mostly doing it to enable my wife and I to enjoy around the house HD like we had with SD back in our Sat T60 days, but I've had so much trouble with the quality of the Ty streams I've just set up a big 2TB linux fileserver and am converting everything to generic mpeg2. Simpler on the client side by far.

Additionally, I'm finding more and more streams (particularly stuff from HDNet) that TyShow barfs on in one way or another, and I just don't have time to fix.

I'll still make sure my changes are available in source before I (ungracefully) depart.

To answer the previous question, mfsengine.dll in the mfs code used in vsplitter pulled out into a separate DLL. I think I mentioned this before, but there are too many global variables used in the mfs code to correctly destroy things when you want to try a new connection. This is why WMP (and others) always used to crash when you were watching a TyStream and tried to open a new one. Using mfsengine.dll, I just unload/reload the DLL each time, which forces the destruction of the entire data segment in question, and thus it gets rebuilt properly for each new connection.

It's using a sledgehammer to swat a file, but after tracking down twenty or so (IIRC) global variables and trying to properly initialize/destroy them I said, "What the hey?" and did it this way.

SteveT
08-05-2008, 09:55 AM
.....there are too many global variables used in the mfs code to correctly destroy things when you want to try a new connection. This is why WMP (and others) always used to crash when you were watching a TyStream and tried to open a new one......
.....I'll still make sure my changes are available in source before I (ungracefully) depart.....I don't see these most recent changes in the cvs source. Can anyone point me to them, or advise where to look? Kurtis?

I've been playing with embedding a media player into TivoWebPlus, but I keep running into this crash when trying to switch between streams. (using the 0.18 binaries from this thread).

KyooMac
04-07-2009, 08:07 AM
I can't get regsvr32 VsrvSrc.ax to work in Vista, I've tried 0.14-0.18, I've unregistered each attempt, cleaned the registry, etc... I can stream livetv on my XP machines no problem. I just can't register VsrvSrc.ax no matter what I try. I've even turned off DEP. Any clues as to what else I can try and or a work around to get this to work?

djl
04-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I'd read this (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27399&page=50&highlight=tyshow) thread.

I can't get regsvr32 VsrvSrc.ax to work in Vista, I've tried 0.14-0.18, I've unregistered each attempt, cleaned the registry, etc... I can stream livetv on my XP machines no problem. I just can't register VsrvSrc.ax no matter what I try. I've even turned off DEP. Any clues as to what else I can try and or a work around to get this to work?

KyooMac
04-08-2009, 10:58 PM
I did, and no joy from those suggestions. What I did was download the Tyshow 0.14 EXE installer from sourceforge, and the 0.18 replaced the files from the 0.14 install with the 0.18 files, unregistered the mfs....tcl file and voila it worked.