PDA

View Full Version : Real angered about getting Networked with DirecTivo

Fletch Lives
11-10-2006, 05:48 PM
I have read and read and read...............most of what I have read is useless as it is outdated.

My simple question never seems to get fully adressed. What do I need to do to get my USB200M version 2 working on my HDVR2? How in the !@#$%%^ do I connect to my hard drive to 'upload' the drivers if I can't connect to it? I have software 6.2 and everything talks about 4.0, 7.3, etc etc etc.

Do I leave it connected to my hacking computer I used PTVnet on? If so, I have no clue how to enter commands or how to get the drivers in a place I can access them. I don't think I'm stupid but this is starting to be such a frustration that I feel that way.

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50815&highlight=usb200m+hdvr2+6.2

This thread talks about doing EXACTLY what I need to do. Problem is, I have no clue what it's talking about or where to begin. I try to use those commands and get nothing. It seems everything talks about doing stuff AFTER I am connected to network....THAT'S MY ORIGINAL OBJECTIVE HERE!!!

Jamie
11-10-2006, 06:10 PM
PTVNet is a commercial product. They have their own support forum (http://www.dvrplayground.com/forum/topic/22/). That would be a reasonable place to ask for support for the product you purchased. They will likely tell you you should purchase a usb network dongle that their product supports. They sell 'em. It'll cost you around $35 IIRC.

The thread you found here does appear to have the information you need to proceed on your own, should you choose to do that. To get around the catch-22, either get a serial console cable and make the changes to the file system through serial bash, or pull the drive and make the changes on the PC side.

I noticed that all the threads you started (here and at TCF) have an expression of anger in their thread title. No reason to get angry. If hacking your tivo is frustrating, rather than a fun hobby, maybe you should go back to running a stock tivo and find a hobby you enjoy more. This site (DDB) is geared for the hobbyist who enjoys tinkering with their hacked tivos. If that's not you, your are probably in the wrong place.

captain_video
11-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Can I get an Amen!:D

Fletch Lives
11-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am pissed-off. If I wanted to have a stock Tivo, I wouldn't be subjecting myself to this. As you should be able to tell, when I can purchase something for a reasonable price to make it work, I will do that. I want the result, not the fun of getting there.

I would gladly try to the 'PC side' as you mentioned but have no clue how to even get started. The commands I have tried all give me errors.

Jamie
11-10-2006, 06:48 PM
I want the result, not the fun of getting there.You are in the wrong place then. TiVo hacking is not for you.
As you should be able to tell, when I can purchase something for a reasonable price to make it work, I will do that.If you don't mind spending money, simply buy an FA-120 from PTVUpgrade. It's supported by PVTnet. Problem solved.

ttodd1
11-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Can I get an Amen!:D

AMEN!!!! :D

Perhaps he should look at a stand alone model then.

Fletch Lives
11-10-2006, 07:23 PM
It's funny how you guys can understand all the hacking stuff but not my dilemna. I am a NOW kind of guy. If I wanted to wait, I would buy a drive that's all set up and ready to go.

Thanks for your replies, Jamie. It's too bad that half the bandwidth on this site is used by the railbirds adding useless comments (such as the 2 here). That's half the problem with my frustration. It takes forever to sift through the useless crap to get some worthy information.

Fletch Lives
11-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Oh by the way, Jamie - PTVUpgade - Support? HA HA HA. That forum is worse than this one for people giving smart ass answers to legit questions. The funny thing is that it's a guy selling stuff and half-ass providing support. Try to figure that one out. You do a better job for free - maybe you should start selling stuff!

RavenStL
11-10-2006, 07:38 PM
LOL

Tivo runs linux. You must have a bare-bones knowledge of how to use Linux before you can start.

This site is definately not for a NOW kinda guy. Sorry, but thats the truth.

IIRC, hinsdale had some pretty basic instructions that might lead you to the end of the rainbow. It can show you how to mount the drive, and then look at your other insturctions to move files around. You can backup your drive to another Fat32 one while you are at it (never boot into XP with tivo drive hooked up)

GL

labbie48
11-10-2006, 08:50 PM
When I joined these forums almost 2 years ago, I had a basic understanding of Linux but no clue how to make a Tivo talk to me. I did a lot of reading and yeah, you have to sort through a lot of posts to find what you are looking for, but the information you are looking for is all there for the taking. The most important thing you have to do is get "serial" access to your Tivo. If you don't than you might as well put a zipper on your box because you'll be pulling your drive a lot.

Don't lose patience because if you have a problem, the answer can be found here. Your problem is not unique, someone else has surely had the same problem before you and the answer is here but you have got to search for it. Nobody is going to hold your hand for you because this is only a hobby and they have more important things to do. If you at least make an attempt to learn and do fail and run into a problem, someone would surely be glad to at least nudge you in the right direction.

There are a lot of very smart people here (with me NOT being one of them) who share their knowledge freely but you have to earn their respect by showing that you have at least made an attempt. Otherwise you will be flamed.....

captain_video
11-10-2006, 10:32 PM
I wish I had a nickel for every post I've read over the years from the "NOW" kinda people that visit here with the exact same attitude. As Jamie said, this is a forum for hackers and not for those that want something handed to them on a silver spoon. If you want a pre-hacked Tivo then look to ebay, but don't come whining to us when the seller won't provide you any support. There are lots of automated scripts and plug and play drives for someone like the OP that just wants the results without having to do any of the work.

We're here because we like to tinker with our Tivos. We have all of the bells and whistles in our Tivos because we took the time to learn how they work and how to implement them in our own machines. We all enjoy the fruits of our own labors and not someone else's. Most of us don't have to whine about lack of support for a product because 1) we don't need to purchase the product because we took the time to learn how to do it ourselves and 2) we already know how to fix it. If you're interested in learning the ropes of hacking a Tivo then you've come to the right place. Otherwise, enjoy your stock Tivo and leave us be.:)

Fletch Lives
11-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Listen Captain Ass Clown,

I am not asking you to respond but asking someone with something useful to say. It's *****s like you that make people like me frustrated with these processes. If you can't remember when you first started anything, then my suspicions are correct about you.

Here's your official chance for me to leave you alone.....never open a thread with my name on it and we will both be happier.

By the way, thanks to the people who do have memories and helpful spirits.

Gunnyman
11-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Wow we haven't had a thread head to the sewer since January. Is THIS thread a nominee?

captain_video
11-11-2006, 12:02 AM
I'd say it's definitely a frontrunner, Gunny.

FYI - when I first started hacking Tivos about six years ago I spent at least three months reading before making my first attempt. I didn't post my first question in these forums until several months after performing my first successful hack. Your problem is you're too impatient. This is not a hobby that will provide instant gratification without going through some trials and tribulations first. Failures and frustrations are all part of the hobby. The sooner you come to accept that the better off we'll all be. Name calling and assinine behavior isn't going to get you any more support than you already deserve, which is about nil at this point. I suspect that any mods monitoring this thread have their fingers poised on the Permanent Ban button while waiting for you to shoot yourself in the other foot. At the very least, this thread is most definitely headed for the Sewer where it belongs.

labbie48
11-11-2006, 12:28 AM
Flush it down the sewer! It's obvious he/she has no clue as to how simple it is to hack you Tivo if only you can read!

Fletch Lives
11-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Tell me again how I can leave you alone? I guess I thought failing to respond to your threads was a good start. Maybe you should turn that around on me.

Can you honestly not understand that I am trying to accomplish a task without really knowing or caring how or why?

I'm sure everything would have taken a different route had I come on here praising your top notch skill level in the Tivo hacking field and proceeded ask of O Thee Great One. I'm not asking to be part of the secret society. I didn't understand that this wasn't a place to stop by for some quick help - forgive me.

I replaced the brakes on my VW last week. Thank God the guys on the VW forum didn't require me to learn the in and outs of anti-locks. You would be surpised at how much more is accomplished there.

I'm sure I am banned now for speaking my mind but I really have yet to see what I have done wrong. I posted a question out of frustration and instead of trying to help - or even just keeping to your own business - you come on here making unhelpful and unnecessary comments.

By the way - I'm going to go out on a limb and say I have accomplished more in 3 days - yes, 3 days in this so-called hobby than a huge % of people. Keep telling me how stupid I am I guess though. I've gone from a dead HDVR2 with version 3.1.1 on it and no locals to a 275 hour machine that does everything I need it to do minus networking. I think I'm fine.

I honestly want to thank the few people that did try to help me though.
Funny how you want there to be unwritten rules to keep this forum at a certain level but think thread crapping is ok, too.

RavenStL
11-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Can you honestly not understand that I am trying to accomplish a task without really knowing or caring how or why?

.......................... O, nevermind. If you cant get the zipper going,,,,,,,,,,,,

P.S. Linux is case sensitive and I have learned how its bad to accidentally replace a p with a P (I was a noob once)

You could have any sort of problem, and without exact, I MEAN EXACT TO THE CASE, notes. You will not get much help.

Fletch Lives
11-11-2006, 01:11 AM
I have been encouraged to use Zipper several times so that's what I am doing now - starting all over with PTVuprade, the instant cake 6.2 image and zippering after that. My understanding is that my next move is to telnet but I was under the impession you needed a serial cable to do that? Is that correct?

Thanks.

beejaycee
11-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I've never used a serial cable, just an ethernet to USB dongle, but that does come with its own set of risks and admittedly I've have to pull the harddrive several times because of not having the cable (plus I understand that the cable will give you info on bootup that can help troubleshoot).

FYI, the writers of Zipper have requested that it not be discussed on this forum but rather over at the TiVo Community forum.

Fletch Lives
11-11-2006, 05:51 PM
LOL - ok. There needs to be a seperate forum for the rules and expectations here. It really is comical. This is some serious stuff I guess. Back to the other forum.

Thanks.

captain_video
11-11-2006, 09:20 PM
The rules and expectations for the Zipper program are included with the readme file and posted on the Zipper website for all to see. Here is the excerpt from the installation instructions for the Zipper posted near the top of the page:

Note 2: If you have problems during the installation, post your questions on the TCF support thread here.
DO NOT mention, link to, or discuss The Zipper at dealdatabase.com. They will NOT help you, and will likely
vilify you for using an installation script like this.
Is that clear enough for you?

Fletch Lives
11-12-2006, 01:25 AM
The zipper directions aren't the problem. In fact, there isn't a problem at all.

I seriously want to laugh out loud. Cool off - I'm not trying to worm into "The Tivo Club". Rest easy - everyone hear is a Tivo hacking God....the rest of us will stay out. Do you honestly not see the comedy in the fact that there is Tivo hacking issues one is not allowed to discuss on a Tivo forum? When it involves copywrites, etc., get back to me. The funny thing is that it's hard to put into words what makes this such a comical dealing. It's just damn funny. Thanks for that.

Seriously, get a life. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you don't participate in league sports - for the obvious reasons. heh heh.

By the way, since you seem to want to digest clarity in wirting - what part wasn't clear about me leaving you alone by not reading or responding to my posts?

This all has inspired me to start an underground Camaro website - maybe a mullet weraing '85 drivin' Camaro website. The pride will be in the obvious and if you don't fit the bill, I dare you to post on it. You will be laughed right off it....then and only then, and I'm not talking about just getting a mullet and '85 Camaro but rather having both for years and become experts on both accounts, will you be able to start to fit in.

Fletch Lives
11-12-2006, 05:21 AM
Well, thanks to a couple clowns pushing me to succeed, I finally did. I had more than just the average disadvantages even though this is supposed to be so easy. I'm sure it's a major disappointment that a dumb ass like myself was able to make it this far. Not that I was ever considering this as a hobby but I guess I would like something a little more challenging anyway.

Once I got my network issue resolved, the rest was a cakewalk. This is sooooo hard you know - only the smart people that lurk in these shadows could accomplish these things. Well, them and now me I guess. My USB200M works on and off. I was required to give the next address to my Tivo that my router would have disbursed - nothing else works. Had to 51kill to make TyTools work - nothing hard there.

Finally, if you have 5k posts here, you are a clown. What could you still possibly be doing that's any fun after 5000 posts - especially if half of them are you telling someone less knowledgeable how smart you are in your own way. If you name isn't Captain Ass Clown, please don't be offended by that - most of you are decent people.

Many have tried to help and for that I thank you. Gunny you were helpful in the zipper thread, not sure why you wanted to tough guy me here with the sewer talk. Thanks for all the help though. The other site really got me where I needed to be.

I really don't know what else I can do with my Tivo as I have done many of the things it appears others have done. Guess I can spend one more day looking around. Other than that, I will probably check back every few months.

Thanks.

mike_s
11-12-2006, 07:55 AM
This all has inspired me to start an underground Camaro website - maybe a mullet weraing '85 drivin' Camaro website.That certainly matches the mental picture which I have of you.

captain_video
11-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Gunny you were helpful in the zipper thread, not sure why you wanted to tough guy me here with the sewer talk.
Do you think it could possibly be because he's one of the authors of the Zipper that specifically requested it not be discussed or even mentioned here? You made it perfectly clear from the beginning that you only wanted the results without putting in the effort. This is a forum for hackers and hobbyists and not freeloaders looking for a quick fix. All you had to do was adjust your attitude and be a little more humble and we would have bent over backwards to point you in the right direction. A little forum etiquette goes a long way here. Calling people rude names is juvenile and just lowers everyone else's opinion of you, if that's at all possible. Just keep in mind that I have all the bells and whistles on my Tivo and you're still sitting around trying to piss everyone off with your attitude.

RavenStL
11-12-2006, 12:18 PM
This is sooooo hard you know - only the smart people that lurk in these shadows could accomplish these things. Well, them and now me I guess.

You are an *****. Lets just make it clear.

Those "HACKS" you are so happy to finally INSTALL, LMAO! TOO FUNNY.

This is where they were MADE. These people figured out how to actually DO THE HACK. You on the other hand are learning how to INSTALL THEM.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA

OMG, Them and now ME. LMAO..........

Them = Hack Creator's

ME = Hack Installer (FINALLY!)

So dont count yourself as a shadow until you write your own hack, and do something with it. Something cool of course.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

(I'll be ok, just give me a few minutes :) )

This place is great no matter what you say. I have cygwin and Dev-C++ now (only was a microsoft guy till now, Visual Studio) and with their hard work, I can tweak the source code to do little things I want it to do.

I shouldn't hit Submit Reply, but cannot resissssttt........

JJBliss
11-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Guess I can spend one more day looking around. Other than that, I will probably check back every few months.

Thanks.
Um, Don't bother checking back. Normally, I'd let foolishness like this slide, but to tell you the truth, I'm not feeling charitable today.

Enjoy TCF, you're banned from here.

Moved to Sewer