PDA

View Full Version : Extraction with Superpatch applied

michaeljc70
11-16-2006, 11:26 AM
First, I've read hundreds of posts, but what isn't clear in a lot of them is whether they are extracting encrpyted or unencrypted files.

I hacked my Directivo and applied the superpatch and everything so it is supposed to record unencrypted mpegs. How do I extract the shows? I tried using TyTools and can get the files on my pc, but it GPFs everytime I try to play them. Preferably, I'd like to just FTP them using a batchfile everynight.

I have Tserver on my Tivo. When I run this, it seems to run perpetually so I don't know how that plays into this also. It seems to me, since I can access files on the box with FTP, I shouldn't need any 3rd party tools. I also have the mfs_ftp on my box. I am clueless as to how all these pieces fit together.

marlboroman
11-16-2006, 02:35 PM
First, I've read hundreds of posts, but what isn't clear in a lot of them is whether they are extracting encrpyted or unencrypted files.

I hacked my Directivo and applied the superpatch and everything so it is supposed to record unencrypted mpegs. How do I extract the shows? I tried using TyTools and can get the files on my pc, but it GPFs everytime I try to play them. Preferably, I'd like to just FTP them using a batchfile everynight.

I have Tserver on my Tivo. When I run this, it seems to run perpetually so I don't know how that plays into this also. It seems to me, since I can access files on the box with FTP, I shouldn't need any 3rd party tools. I also have the mfs_ftp on my box. I am clueless as to how all these pieces fit together.

Since you used superpatch, you must have a series 2 directivo running 6.2. All new shows should be unencrypted. You can verify this with ciphercheck (can be found in AlphaWolf's AIO S2 utilities, first post in this link http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37602 ). Make sure you have the latest and correct binary of tserver up on your tivo box (second post in this link http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47025 ). Should be version 10r4 and you'll be selecting the MIPs version since it's series 2. Start up tytool104.exe on your win32 box and verify that the preferences are correct, especially the server settings (path and shell prompt are correct). I would probably do the step by step sequence to see where the problem is failing. Select Tystream mode under the file pulldown. Start the tserver from server pulldown. If it fails here (path or shell prompt is probably incorrect), I would telnet into the tivo and start tserver manually. The telnet window should indicate it is waiting for connection. You should then be able to hit Nowshowing on the client and get the listing. Select a recording you know is unencrypted and get the file. After you pull down the file, generate the key (file >>>> make key file). Then edit the key if desired (file >>>> edit keyfile). Save the modified keyfile and close out the editor. Time to multiplex the file into mpeg2 (file >>>> multiplex file). You should now have a mpeg2 that can be played by whatever viwer you like. let me know where it dies during this process so we can troubleshoot accordingly.

If you are trying to extract an encrypted recording, that's a little more involved in require a few different steps. All th info is here on this board. I just did this myself recently after having been out of the sceen for 3 years. The hardest part was finding all the correct files.

michaeljc70
11-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the help. That worked. I think it could have been the version of Tserver I had.

If I record a program every night, I would love to have it downloaded to my laptop overnight. Is there anyway to batch do this? It is kind of an involved process (not really involved, but you have to wait for each step to complete and then manually start the next). For an hour show, it took about 35 minutes to do everything. The copy took around 25 minutes which was surprsing over a wired network (could be my USB 1.0 lan connection to the Directivo).

Anyway, I would love if you could execute batch and specify a show or shows using wildcards.

marlboroman
11-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Tytool allows you to pull down the stream and multiplex in one step (but I've found problems with that feature). Also, if you do that, you will not have the opportunity to edit the file (remove commercials, etc). You can do this by selecting file >>>> multiplex mode and when you retieve the file, it will perform all the steps for you. As for an automated way, you might want to look into mfs_ftp instead of tytool. Others here might have better suggestions. I've only been playing with the extraction for about a week as I've been away from the tivo modding scene for 3 years.

SteveT
11-17-2006, 12:50 PM
...If I record a program every night, I would love to have it downloaded to my laptop overnight. Is there anyway to batch do this?...Search for eTiVo.

michaeljc70
11-17-2006, 12:53 PM
I did see eTivo. It sounded like that compressed the video to wmv. Do you know if there is an option to not compress it or to get it in another format?

cheer
11-17-2006, 01:44 PM
There is an add-in for EtiVo that bluewomble wrote that does Divx/Xvid/etc.

But if you use mfs_ftp, you could use any ftp client that supports scheduling/scripting, or script or schedule ftp transfers yourself.

Or, you could look at this thread (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34932).

michaeljc70
11-17-2006, 02:54 PM
2 silly questions:

1) Where are the shows located on my Tivo if I FTP in. There are a sh*tload of directories on mine.
2) What processing needs to be done after copying them to my PC assuming I have the superpatch installed and they are already unencrypted? I assume I have to combine them and make them into a mpeg.

labbie48
11-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Read the sticky's in this forum. There is a ton of information there that will probably answer all your questions.

michaeljc70
11-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Believe me, before I post here I have searched this forum and google for a reasonable answer. If you look at the sticky's just for this forum, there are over 2000 messages! I have read through some, but don't think it is viable finding an answer reading over 2000 messages.

In general, I am finding tons of information. A lot of it is not in context. Context being is Tivo recording encrypted or not, are you using TyTools or mfs_ftp or something else, etc. Even the mfs_ftp FAQ gets mfs_ftp up and running, but then doesn't tell you how to get your shows off!

michaeljc70
11-18-2006, 10:35 AM
I got mfs_ftp working and able to extract files that way. Large files (900Mb+) seem to be dropping the connect at the end, but in general it is working.

he problem was mfs_ftp was not properly starting. I need to do a touch on a file:

touch tzoffset.txt

everything worked fine then.