PDA

View Full Version : Converting .ty to .AVI with ffmpeg

michaeljc70
11-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Does anybody have a command line for converting a .ty file extracted from Tivo to a PC into an .avi? Everything I've tried just gives me audio, no video.

I have seen lots of talk going to .ty, but not from. The reason I want to go to .AVI is to use Cbreak to remove the commercials automatically via batch process.

mpauley
11-19-2006, 11:48 PM
ffmpeg doesn't convert from TY. Menconder does tho.

mencoder <infile.ty> -demuxer 33 -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=92 -xvidencopts bitrate=687 -vop scale=320:240 -o <outfile.avi>

michaeljc70
11-20-2006, 01:14 PM
I tried that and it is encoding, but I am getting a ton of "skipping frame" - "would have blown my audio buffering".

I used mfs_ftp to extract the .ty file if that matters.

mpauley
11-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Download .ty
Convert to mpg using tytompeg
Use Comskip on the mpeg file (make sure to enable create edl file)
mencoder <infile.mpg> -edl <filename.edl> -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=92 -xvidencopts bitrate=687 -vop scale=320:240 -o <outfile.avi>

michaeljc70
11-20-2006, 05:30 PM
I am trying Comskip. That seems a little more streamlined than what I was trying to do. A couple of questions:

1) I don't really need .avi format- mpg is fine. Is there way to extract the frames using mencoder without re-encoding?

2) When I use tytompeg, the mpeg plays fine in Power DVD, but doesn't play properly in WMP 10. Any idea why?

michaeljc70
11-20-2006, 05:59 PM
I found the answer to 1):

mencoder c:\scrap\input.mpg -edl c:\scrap\input.edl -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -o c:\scrap\input_cskip.mpg

Still don't know why 2) is happening.

mpauley
11-20-2006, 08:53 PM
the video stream is 480x480 which really isn't square so it looks a little squished in WMP... other players change the resolution to 620x480 for ya... try adding "-vop scale=640:480" and see how that works out.

I found the answer to 1):

mencoder c:\scrap\input.mpg -edl c:\scrap\input.edl -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -o c:\scrap\input_cskip.mpg

Still don't know why 2) is happening.

michaeljc70
11-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The video and audio are out of sync after converting from .ty to .mpg with tytompg even before I do anything with removing commercials with mencoder. The cideo seems to get stuck in WMP 10 where it sits on one frame for several seconds while the audio continues on. The video and audio are fine in Power DVD for the same file.

After I do the copy with mencoder, the audio and video are way out of sync no matter where I play it.

I also notice that mencoder isn't removing the commercials flagged in the edl file. I verified the frames from the Comskip output, but mencoder isn't removing them for some reason. I notice that the edl file does not have frames, so I can't verify that.

propman07
12-02-2006, 02:57 AM
Download .ty
Convert to mpg using tytompeg
Use Comskip on the mpeg file (make sure to enable create edl file)
mencoder <infile.mpg> -edl <filename.edl> -ovc xvid -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=92 -xvidencopts bitrate=687 -vop scale=320:240 -o <outfile.avi>

mpauley-

I've been trying your process, but have a question. I extracted the .ty file, converted it to a .mpg, and I ran comskip on it. I'm looking for a .mpg file without commercials...do I have to use mencoder to get this?

...end result is going to be made into a DVD via DVD-Lab.

Thanks.

mpauley
12-04-2006, 10:56 AM
mpauley-

I've been trying your process, but have a question. I extracted the .ty file, converted it to a .mpg, and I ran comskip on it. I'm looking for a .mpg file without commercials...do I have to use mencoder to get this?

...end result is going to be made into a DVD via DVD-Lab.

Thanks.

Its the only program that I know of that uses the edl file... Check out comskips website and see what you can find.