PDA

View Full Version : Any utility to remove ads on Tivo programs?

michaeljc70
11-18-2006, 07:40 PM
I've looked high and low, and it appears there is nothing that can be sent to the Tivo box to remove commercials from shows. Everything I've seen requires extracting the shows to a PC and either creating a cut file and sending back or removing the commercials on the PC and then sending back (and haven't seen a really simple way to do that).

Isn't there a linux utility that can be run nightly that removes ads so that when I get around to watching the show they are gone?

AlphaWolf
11-18-2006, 11:17 PM
No.

screw flanders

justdoit
11-20-2006, 12:04 PM
As Alphawolf mentioned NO.

But I heard that Ulead MovieFactory 7 or something (a PC Software for CD/DVD burning) has Ad-zapper feature that can auto identify ads in a recording which may be helpful in cutting the ads out.

I have not yet tried Ulead MovieFactory but thought this info may be helpful for anyone interested.

Though Ulead software in general seems good, my past support related bad experience with Ulead is the reason why I am holding back on buying it.

captain_video
11-20-2006, 02:16 PM
VideoReDo also has a commercial detection feature but it doesn't help you with cutting out ads natively on the Tivo. You might want to check out Chunkedit found in this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31799) thread. It allows you to edit out chunks of recorded material on the Tivo. It's not frame-accurate but it should cut out the bulk of any commercials. I've not tried it personally so use it at your own risk.

michaeljc70
11-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I've looked at ChunkEdit a little, but as I understand it, you need to FTP the file to a PC first, create a cut file, and then send that back to the Tivo. Am I misunderstanding?

I have used VideoRedo, but by the time you do all the FTPing, processing, FTPing back, etc., it isn't worth it too me. Doing it on the Tivo would be a real time saver for me because mainly, I am ftping shows to my laptop over a broadband connection while travelling. Having the commercials precut would reduce the size of most shows by 20%-30%. If watching at home, it is much easier hitting 30 second skip than going through 18 steps to remove commercials.

I am spoiled- my ReplayTV automatically skipped commercials and it was very accurate.

michaeljc70
11-20-2006, 03:33 PM
In re-reading some of the posts on ChunkEdit, it appears it can all be done on the Tivo if you have a Series 1. Series 2 sounds like it won't work or hasn't been tested.

captain_video
11-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Like I said, I've never used it myself so I don't know which flavor of Tivos it works with. I just remembered that it was a utility that could be used to edit ty files right on the Tivo, which is why I suggested it.

I am spoiled- my ReplayTV automatically skipped commercials and it was very accurate.
IIRC, the ReplayTV only cut out the commercials during playback. You still had to record the entire program for it to work.

Any form of editing is time consuming and takes more time than simply fast forwarding past the commercial break. If you're not stockpiling shows on your laptop then you might want to look into a SlingBox. You can watch live TV or play back recordings from a DVR from any remote PC that has the SlingBox software installed on it. You need WinXP to use the SlingBox.

Another alternative would be to extract the shows from the Tivo and burn them to DVD, with or without commercials. You can play them back on your laptop if it has a DVD player and a DVD playback codec like WinDVD or Power DVD.

michaeljc70
11-21-2006, 04:39 PM
I have looked at Slingbox. The disadvantage is that you are subject to your internet connection. Even if you have a good internet connection, there will be blips (there is some buffering of course). Also, you need constant access to watch a show- can't do it on a plane, train, etc.

Besides, why spend $199 if you already have all the hardware/software you need to download the shows?

I think I will just have a batch file download the shows I want overnight, remove the commericials and/or compress on my laptop. Actually, I will FTP the shows to my desktop PC (which is a wired network to the Tivo), do the commercial removal and/or compressing there and then download to the laptop. That will be faster since I will only be pulling the commercial free/compressed file over broadband.

VitoTheTivo
12-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Chunkedit will work on series 2.

Chunkedit does not require FTPing the video file off the TiVo. That's the point of the software.

It does require getting TyStudio up and running and creating cutfiles in that program and then FTPing those over to the TiVo.

I've been using it for a bit now, and once it is running it works very well to simply drop out unwanted footage.