PDA

View Full Version : Extraction/muxing still a problem with 6.3b?

captain_video
12-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Has anyone had a chance to try extracting and muxing shows recorded with 6.3b using TyTools? I'm still waiting for the update as it hasn't shown up in mfs yet on my HDTivos. I don't want to update until I know that I'll be able to extract and mux ty files successfully using TyTools.

I've just started using the process outlined at the AVS Forums for recording HD programs to regular DVD-R discs using DVD Movie Factory 5. My HDTivos are still at 3.1.5f and I'm able to process the files without a hitch using TyTools. I'm still waiting for my HD-DVD player to arrive so I don't even know if the process is working yet, but I've got my fingers crossed.

cheer
12-13-2006, 09:23 AM
I just tried TyTool on a small file, and it exhibits the same behavior as 6.3 or 6.3a. I would advise using tytompg instead.

captain_video
12-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks. Sounds like enough reason for me to keep 3.1.5f.

cheer
12-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks. Sounds like enough reason for me to keep 3.1.5f.

I can't strongly enough recommend that you give tytompg a try. Even on 3.1.5f there were streams that TyTool did not handle, but tytompg handles many/most just fine.

captain_video
12-13-2006, 02:15 PM
I'll definitely give it a shot if I run into any problematic ty files. Most of the problem files I've encountered on the HDTivo are from OTA recordings. Right now I'm working with HD movies recorded from DTV using the authoring guide for HD-DVDs posted over at the AVS Forums. The HD ty files from the satellites appear to be less problematic than their OTA counterparts. I will start archiving OTA programs once 24 starts back up next month so I'm sure I'll have a need for tytompeg.

alfonzotan
12-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Almost certainly a stupid question, but can the 6.x upgrade be received without a phone line connection? I've got my box set to deny updates, and I've been waiting until, er, after football season to try and upgrade at any rate. No wired phone line in mi casa.

mr_zorg
12-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Almost certainly a stupid question, but can the 6.x upgrade be received without a phone line connection? I've got my box set to deny updates, and I've been waiting until, er, after football season to try and upgrade at any rate. No wired phone line in mi casa.
Yes, on the D* boxes the updates are pushed over the satellite, IIRC. They just must not have gotten to your batch yet.

captain_video
12-17-2006, 12:28 AM
You can get the "slices" downloaded to mfs via the satellite but it takes a phone call tto initiate the installation normally. Otherwise, you can manually install the update without the need for a phone line by modifying the installSw.itcl file and running it from bash.

alfonzotan
12-17-2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks. I'd seen some chatter to the contrary, so I wasn't 100% sure.

I'm waiting until mid-January before I even try an upgrade. Might put in the stock drive, let it upgrade, then hack that image instead of upgrading my hacked drive and then "fixing" it.