PDA

View Full Version : Choppy Video (pixelation) on HR10-250 extractions

RedSunshine
12-28-2006, 02:18 AM
I recently moved on from a Series1 SA to a HR10-250 and I'm a little fuzzy on extraction on a DTiVo box. Honestly, I have not extracted in quite a long time, so please bear with me.

I disabled encryption and verified this using ciphercheck and all is well. Then I recorded a few sample clips and extracted the .ty file using TyTool 10r4. Everything seems to go okay, but when I process the .ty into a vob or a mpg, the video is pixelated during a few scenes, not the whole clip, but enough to be quite annoying. This never happened on my SA unit. Is this normal when testing with small clips on a DTiVo or could it be something else?

This unit is up to 6.3a. I am using Dolby Digital out, (not Dolby Digital PCM), but not sure if any of that matters.

Any thoughts? If there another workflow anyone would like to share?

Thanks!

captain_video
12-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately, occasional pixelisation is a byproduct of digital transmissions and seems to occur mostly with DVRs from what I've seen. You never saw it with your SA Tivo because it used an analog signal to record from. 6.3a has known issues and will have some pixelisation following a long audio dropout.

RedSunshine
12-28-2006, 12:58 PM
I hear that, but the video on the TV screen is not bad whatsoever. I recorded the sample manually and never saw a single glitch, but after processing the ty, it's crap.

I'll do a few more things today like watching the ty directly using MPlayer and see if the problem is there too. If so, then I know it's something with extraction as the file plays fine on the unit.

If I still cannot fix it, I'll may just revert to 3.1.5.

RedSunshine
12-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Following up here.

The extracted ty file plays perfectly using the TyShow DirectShow filters on Windows Media Player. It's gotta be something in the processing that is dorking up the file.

I tried Ty2MPG but got only audio, no video. TyTool causes the blockiness and skips.

Oh well, back to the drawing board, but at least i know the the extraction is fine.