PDA

View Full Version : Convert TiVo sourced 'anamorphic' mpgs to avi?

mbriody
12-29-2006, 12:33 PM
I have hundreds of music videos taken from my TiVo (UK Series 1) using TyTool and multiplexed to mpg.

These play back fine via XBMC on my TV and Nero Media Player on my PC but WinAmp displays them squashed up.

For various reasons I'd like to convert them to avi but I'm having problems with aspect ratios.

Typically the resolution of each video is 544x576 which I'm guessing is anamorphic? I'm assuming there is a flag which XBMC and Nero use to expand the image on playback but which WinAmp (and my video converters) all ignore.

I've tried lots of different conversion apps but always end up with a squashed (or unplayable) avi.

Can anyone tell me how to do the conversion and end up with an avi in the correct aspect ratio?

sanderton
01-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Either get a player which can change aspect ratios on playback, eg Media Player Classic. Or when you transcode, transcode to a widescreen square-pixel resolution, ie 1024 x 576.

I'm sure it's possible to cahnge the metadata in the file to indicate it should be played back 16:9, but i don't know how to do that myself.