PDA

View Full Version : Extracting in Windows?

tibo
12-29-2006, 09:45 PM
ok, I have read 300+ pages, and its all a linux bluuuurrrrrr.... I have a hacked Dtivo... I can tivowebplus to it, ftp to it, telnet in... so far full access, but I am a linux *****... read 3 times, type once... hehehehe

so all I want to do is find the folder with shows in it... copy to my desktop, and upload to a different tivo... both are hacked, but not networked... and me messing around too much with linux usually kills the hard drives....

Anyone know of an easy way to do this, using windows, besides networking...

JeiRoq
12-30-2006, 04:19 AM
How would you be able to connect to it without networking since in order for it to be hacked, it has to be networked..

To be quite honest, I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to hacking Tivo, but I do have mine hacked (Hughes SD-DVR40 now with a 160 GB drive) and I can access it with TWP, and now I don't have an annoying message trying to remind me for a daily call. That's all good, but I would also like to be able to take my recordings and edit them too.

Basically, can someone point me in the direction I need to go in order to read up on extraction of the files and converting (I think I have read that they come in a .ty format?). Thanks for all the help that I have already received from reading up on most everything else here.

stevel
12-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Read elsewhere in this forum section for mfs_ftp.

Narf54321
12-30-2006, 11:29 AM
There is no 'folder' which holds all the videos. There are mysterious partitions on your Tivo's hard drive formatted in what is referred to as MFS, and recordings are saved in variously numbered 'chunks' strung together. You would need to somehow extract out each chunk and then reassemble them, and then somehow decode the resulting TY recording file.

Putting the drive in a Windows machine (especially XP) would most likely result in the drive signature being overwritten, making it pretty much useless for the Tivo amymore.

JeiRoq
12-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks for summing that all up for me, it's much appreciated. So reading up on mfs_ftp would help me grasp this?

stevel
12-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Yes. It's pretty easy - once mfs_ftp is running, you connect to the TiVo with any FTP client using port 3105. It presents a list of shows with titles, dates, etc., in various formats. You then just ask your FTP client to "GET" the one you want. You can then use mfs_ftp on another TiVo, connect to it and PUT the file you copied from the first one. In both cases, mfs_ftp interacts with the TiVo file system to "do the right thing".

There are also helper applications that work with mfs_ftp to provide a spiffier interface (including initiating transfers from the TiVo using your remote.) These are all discussed here.

JeiRoq
12-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Would I find all that info in the sticky "Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings"?

I have another question (I don't want to start a new thread for a simple answer), I have the original HD from the Tivo unit (Hughes SD-DVR40) and I have some shows that are on there that I would like to get off of there. What would you suggest the best way to go about that? The HD from there is not hacked, FYI.

stevel
12-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Yes, that's the thread.

As for your other question, that disk has to be mounted in the TiVo it came from in order to view the recordings. To get them off, you'd have to hack that copy, disable encryption and "unencrypt" each of the recordings. Then you can transfer them using mfs_ftp. Or you can hook up the outputs of the TiVo to a VCR or DVD recorder and "copy" the shows that way.

tibo
12-30-2006, 08:12 PM
I think I am going to have to start over... I have superpatched, mfs_ftp, ftp'd in, rebooted, ... still when I ftp in using filezilla, I can get in on port 21, but not 3105 so something is foobared, shut down my firewalls

and now when I reboot... it hangs on the 9% acquiring info from sat, so I usually have to reboot again to get it back up. Very slow on the boot now... hehehe... is it too late to say... I am confused

stevel
12-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Did you start the mfs_ftp server?