PDA

View Full Version : Stream to a TiVo (S1)

big_dirk
12-31-2006, 09:04 AM
hi all,

I just wondered if any one knew if it was possible to stream to a UK S1 TiVo please?

I have read the FAQ and can't see it in there.

thanks.

Narf54321
12-31-2006, 03:19 PM
It's been years since I've actually laid my eyes on a Series-1, and admittedly I've never worked with a UK model Tivo.

Since the S1 doesn't support any MRV or CCXstream nor anything like that, my best guess is that you'd need to attach a receiving unit of some sort to Tivo's inputs on the back and record "channel 0" if supported on your model.

LarryDavid
01-12-2007, 06:05 AM
Hi there, new TiVo owner :)

Well further to this, if I get my UK S1 TiVo networked, are there tools to convert mpeg/avi/div-x/xvid files back to tivo format, and then copy (not stream) across the network back to the TiVo, so that then they appear like any other recorded programme? Can you just copy the files across or do you need a utility to insert the relevant data back into the TiVo database? Are the streams encrypted making this impossible?

I do own a div-x etc compatible dvd player, but hell, I'm just interested in the opportunities!

stealthdave
01-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi there, new TiVo owner :)

Well further to this, if I get my UK S1 TiVo networked, are there tools to convert mpeg/avi/div-x/xvid files back to tivo format, and then copy (not stream) across the network back to the TiVo, so that then they appear like any other recorded programme? Can you just copy the files across or do you need a utility to insert the relevant data back into the TiVo database? Are the streams encrypted making this impossible?

I do own a div-x etc compatible dvd player, but hell, I'm just interested in the opportunities!

While I can't say specifically to a UK TiVo, I do have a Series 1 US TiVo hacked for network and I can definitely say that yes, Virginia, you can upload new programs to your old TiVo!

You'll need:

A hacked TiVo with working network connection
MFS_FTP (to upload video files to your TiVo)
tyffmpeg (for converting various formats to TiVo ty+ files)

MFS_FTP has its own sticky thread, and tyffmpeg has its own support thread. Convert your video files to ty+ using tyffmpeg and upload it to your TiVo using MFS_FTP. That's it.

Good luck!

LarryDavid
01-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Sweeet!! Thanks for that advice.

Seems then that if the MFS_FTP is basically just that, an FTP service/client, that the TiVo database doesn't have anything to do with playback? (just the programme guide, and possibly your recording schedule I'm assuming then).

Half the reason I bought a TiVo was because of the opportunities with upgrading, tweaking etc. ... that and I didn't want to give Murdoch any more money with SKY+ ha ha ha Just a real shame no-one has taken up the opportunity to make a more modern model here in the UK, SKY have things on a bit of a monopoly (cable companies are only just releasing P/DVR's now).

Looking forward to getting that network interface in there to have a poke around in the bash shell ;)

Thanks again!

studog86
02-17-2007, 10:48 PM
how prey tell