PDA

View Full Version : Writing to a USB Disk Drive or USB DVD burner

John_Hatchett
12-31-2006, 05:10 PM
Are there any tools that support archiving from a series 2 to an attached USB disk drive or :) to a USB DVD burner?

alternativly, expanding a series to storage capacity with a USB attached disk drive?

everything I have found seems to only talk about networking through the USB ports on the series 2.

Narf54321
12-31-2006, 06:44 PM
I assume you mean pulling the Tivo's hard drive and using it on the computer via an external USB drive enclosure.

Sure it works, but seems to be pretty dependent upon the linux boot CD and how well the USB controller responds to said linux system. Instead of the hard drive device being at /dev/hda (or hdb, etc.) the USB drive usually shows up as something like /dev/sda.

If you're trying to archive from the Tivo drive to an generic USB drive, the same applies. As long as the linux boot can recoginise the USB drive, so it should be formatted as something 'normal' like FAT32 or ext2/ext3.

A DVD-R is trickier because you'd need random access writes to the disk while the image compresses. I'm not familiar with any packet-writing packages for linux. Your best bet is to archive to another drive, and once its all finished then master a DVD ISO file for DVD-R burning.

stevel
12-31-2006, 08:34 PM
I've seen somewhere that people have managed to get a USB-connected hard drive recognized by Linux on a TiVo by adding some USB module. I don't know what you can do with it other than treat it as an ordinary disk volume.

Narf54321
12-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Actually, the more I think about it... if you want to save recordings to a USB drive you might be able to do something with mfs_uberexport. As stevel points out, you'd need to get the drive recognised by the tivo unit.

Jamie
12-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Never hurts to search. You might find this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50190) or other related threads.

John_Hatchett
01-01-2007, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the pointer Jamie! Most of the info deals with thumbdrives but I think a usb-hdd should substitute just fine.

Being able to plug an external usb drive into a series 2 dtivo, like the hr10-250, and add a couple terrabytes of storage would be nice.

Being able to archive individual shows to bdr or hd-dvd direct from the dtivo would be nice as well. Guessing that would require linux/mips based dvd authoring and burning packages installed on the dtivo. dvdauthor and growisofs might be the ticket.