PDA

View Full Version : Multiswitch for additional DVR

rmbuhay
01-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Happy New Year everybody. Now to my question. I have right now what I think is a phase 3 dish with 3 lnb and 4 lines coming out, 2 each to my 2 dvrs. A Philips DSR6000 and an HDVR2. I would like to add another HDVR2 for the basement and need a recommendation as to what kind of multiswitch I would
need and how to go about it. TIA

captain_video
01-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Any cascadeable 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch will work. I use the Terk BMS-58's and they work fine.

rmbuhay
01-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Can the cascadeable multi switch be used inside the house? I was thinking of removing the two coax going to a dvr, hook the two coax to the multi switch input and i can hook up my dvr to the switch output. Can I do it this way?
My roof is very steep that is the reason why i don't want to work up there.

captain_video
01-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Sure. You can install it anywhere you want. You can run the existing four lines from the dish to the new multiswitch and then run your individual feeds from the new multiswitch to the various receivers around the house. You will need all four lines from the dish to connect to the new multiswitch or you won't be able to receive all channels on every receiver.

webby1571
12-25-2007, 01:19 AM
What should I do if I only have one line coming from a 3 lnb dish? I am looking into upgrading from a non-dvr reciever to a hr20. It's in a motor home and very difficult to run an extra line from the reciever.

Also, separate topic: Currently they have no 5 lnb satelites that are capable of tracking. I plan on leaving the 3 lnb there until there is one on the market. Can someone confirm that I will only not receive the local hd channels? My understanding is I will still receive the national feeds.

Thanks.

stevel
12-25-2007, 07:43 AM
If you have only one line run, you will have to run another, unless you can get a hold of a SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch), which is still in field trials and not orderable.

With the 3LNB dish you won't receive any of the MPEG4 channels, including the 70 or so that DirecTV has started since earlier this year. The "distant network" channels are still MPEG2 for now and can be received with a 3LNB dish.