PDA

View Full Version : Stream *TO* HR10-250 from PC?

webwalker
01-03-2007, 11:51 AM
First time poster. Been a Tivo boy since 2001 and been a professional Unix hack for more than a decade. Glad of this resource and your tribal knowledge.

Context (skip this if you don't care where I'm coming from)
I'm currently running an unhacked Pioneer H810 DVD Tivo, frontending a D* mpeg4 sat box (simplest tuner they sell.) Hardwired network connection and TivoDesktop on a backend server (windows). Server provides additional storage space for .tivo files, as well as 40GB of music. I like the setup because I can transcode UK programs acquired on BT to mpeg2 (PS) and stream them from the server to the Tivo and watch them on the 45" Mitsu HD set.

Punchline
But the set will do 1080i and I'm only putting 480p from the H810 Tivo into it. I want to go HD, keep the Tivo interface (which has a high W.A.F.) and still be able to stream mp3 music and mpeg video to it from the backend storage.

I'm exploring the purchase of an HR10-250 to accomplish this. I understand that the HMO component for streaming music is in the new OS release 6.3b. What was less clear is whether there is ANY way, by ANY means with ANY tools to STREAM (not copy) mpeg2 to the HR10-250. I'm willing and capable to hack any part of the equation, including backend OS, TivoOS, etc.

Comments? Suggestions?

Webwalker

mr_zorg
01-03-2007, 02:41 PM
What was less clear is whether there is ANY way, by ANY means with ANY tools to STREAM (not copy) mpeg2 to the HR10-250. I'm willing and capable to hack any part of the equation, including backend OS, TivoOS, etc.
If you hack the box, which you'll have to do to enable HMO anyway, there is a solution that comes close to streaming. If you've got MFS_FTP setup and properly configured, you can insert (that is, upload) ty/ty+/tmf format video files. Since inserts generally run faster than real time, you can start watching it while it continues to upload giving you the effect of streaming. The main difference is that you need to have enough free space for the insert, and you'll have to delete it when you're done. As for getting mpeg2 in there, check out tyffmpeg (I think) to convert mpeg files to ty format (a mpeg variant with custom packets). To make managing the inserts easier, you can use HME (also enabled when you enable HMO) and run the MovieLoader app on your PC. This will give you an interface on the TiVo from which you can select from a catalog of shows on your pc and kick off the insert. Very handy.

Hope this helps!

webwalker
01-03-2007, 03:21 PM
And THIS type of technically competent FAST answer is why I didn't bother with TCF and went right to the big brains here at DD.

Well, its not streaming, but the ability to fetch the file by remote via the Tivo interface is what counts. In truth, my wife does most of the tivo programming (wishlist mgmt, etc): I'm just the BT and transcode monkey. :^) As such, the ability to fetch from the server is a big deal, and the ability to offload to the server is the other part of the puzzle that has clearly been addressed by a number of other hacks.

My goal for this year was to have ATSC OTA for my locals (better picture, anyway) and SD for other general sat network shows. My choices were to spend a lot of money AND time AND heartburn with MythTV and still be paying D*TV for the sat access or find a way to make the HD10-250 come within 95% of my present functionality and then pry my wife's hands off the Pioneer remote. (Gawd, she loves that thing.)

What has your experience been with the new HD10-250 OS release? Stable?

RMW

mr_zorg
01-03-2007, 04:30 PM
As such, the ability to fetch from the server is a big deal, and the ability to offload to the server is the other part of the puzzle that has clearly been addressed by a number of other hacks.
Indeed. I've suggested to the MovieLoader author, and may implement it myself if/when I get the time, the ability to download from the TiVo back to the server. Seems a logical progression. MovieLoader was thrown together amazingly fast by that guy, and is still in it's infancy. I can see it as having a lot of potential, and still very useful as is.

What has your experience been with the new HD10-250 OS release? Stable?
For me 6.3b it has been very stable. I've heard at least one person grousing about reboots, but not for me...

mr_zorg
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM
For me 6.3b it has been very stable. I've heard at least one person grousing about reboots, but not for me...
Of course, no sooner do I say that than I find my TiVo rebooting several times today... Go figure.