PDA

View Full Version : edit files with smartFTP or CuteFTP?

aprest
01-04-2007, 03:37 PM
I am just getting into hacking my HR10-250 and want to know if I can edit the Tivo files like rc.sysinit.author using CuteFTP or smartFTP? If so in what format do I need to save the file after editing? I realize that I have to mount the drive to allow it to be in read/write mode.

stevel
01-04-2007, 10:00 PM
There are so many variables, I wouldn't want to recommend that, but if you are very certain that the file will get transferred correctly, then I suppose you can. I tried a test file with SmartFTP and no matter what I did, it mangled the line endings.

My advice would be to telnet in and use vi or pico or joe on the TiVo.

labbie48
01-04-2007, 11:37 PM
Find yourself a copy of "textpad" and you can download any file from your TIVO that you want to edit, open it in "textpad" and save it in unix format. Then upload it to your TIVO. Been doing this for a long time now and it works well.

aprest
01-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Find yourself a copy of "textpad" and you can download any file from your TIVO that you want to edit, open it in "textpad" and save it in unix format. Then upload it to your TIVO. Been doing this for a long time now and it works well.

Thanks for your reply. When you save using textpad (which I have) you save in the unix file format but which encoding do you use: ANSI, Unicode, UTF-8? The defaults using textpad when using "Save As" for files that I download from my TIVO are File Format: UNIX and Encoding: ANSI. Are those the ones you use?

I don't want to screw up my TIVO while learning how to edit files.

Thanks again

Narf54321
01-05-2007, 09:52 AM
You're going to want to use ANSI.

But more importantly, when you upload the file back to the tivo make sure to use 'binary' format and not 'text' format. Too many FTP programs like to mangle the line-endings on anything they think is a text file.

PlainBill
01-05-2007, 10:01 AM
If you are doing a major rewrite it is handy to use textpad or something similar on your pc. For a simple change, I suggest you use the vi editor included in AlphaWolf's Series 2 binaries.

The commands ARE cryptic, so I keep this link (http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugvi.html) to a command summary handy.

PlainBill

labbie48
01-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey PlainBill, you are the man! I hated using VI because the command summary link that I was using was horrible. This one is great and now resides in my bookmarks.

aprest
01-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try some editing.

PlainBill
01-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Ooops!! Forgot to mention something I learned from experience :o - ALWAYS make a backup copy of the file before you edit it.

PlainBill