PDA

View Full Version : Tytool: Newbie needs help with network problem

jelgass
01-04-2007, 07:04 PM
I am hoping someone can help me with getting Tytool to run. I upgraded my Series 1 DTivo using an upgrade kit (drive + Turbonet card) from Ptvupgrade. I can successfully telnet, ftp and Tivoweb to the unit. I also can see my now showing list in Tytool (9R14 - I know this is not the most current version, but that is what came installed with the kit).

Tserver is set to run at startup and it is running properly. However, I can't use TyTool to extract. I have tried 3 different computers on my home network. One gets no response, TyTool hangs (can't abort the process) and must reboot the DTivo to regain telnet/ftp access. Another computer starts the extraction, then hangs after 15-30 seconds. A very short piece of the program is extracted. The third computer gets a "data socket connect failed" error message, but at least doesn't hang. I have tried disabling my firewall, but that didn't work.

I did have some success by switching to single socket mode. This allows me to start extracting, but the process fails before completion (usually after 200-300 MB).

I have spent many hours searching this site and others and didn't find the answer but several posts hint that my problem is network/port related. Any help or links to other posts that might help me troubleshoot further would be appreciated. Apologies in advance for my ignorance. Thanks.

Narf54321
01-05-2007, 12:42 AM
A common issue is WindowsXP built-in firewall blocking traffic from the tivo.

I'd suggest testing by completely disabling the Firewall software on one PC, and try the TyTool transfer again. If it works better, you need to fuss around fixing the WinXP firewall settings.

jelgass
01-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks, but no luck there. I use ZoneAlarm and that is disabled, but I also went back and double checked to make sure the WinXP firewall is disabled, which it is.

Any idea why using single socket mode works for a while, then hangs - the extraction stops, then I can no longer even ping the DTivo. Only way out is to reboot the DTivo. Frustrating, because even though it is slow, it does seem to get about 300 MB or so before it hangs.

Jamie
01-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Any idea why using single socket mode works for a while, then hangs - the extraction stops, then I can no longer even ping the DTivo. Only way out is to reboot the DTivo. Frustrating, because even though it is slow, it does seem to get about 300 MB or so before it hangs.If the network is hanging on the TiVo, it sounds like it may be a driver issue. Are you sure you have the latest Turbonet drivers from silicondust.com?

I suppose it could also be bad Turbonet card.

jelgass
01-05-2007, 11:58 AM
No, since I purchased an upgrade kit I don't know which drivers they used. I was assured by Lou at ptvupgrade that everything is fine on the DTivo side.

Is there an easy way to verify which versions of the drivers are currently installed? As I say, I have no problems with telnet or ftp access. Thanks.

Jamie
01-05-2007, 12:22 PM
No, since I purchased an upgrade kit I don't know which drivers they used. I was assured by Lou at ptvupgrade that everything is fine on the DTivo side.Everything is not fine on the DTivo side if the network hangs and you can no longer ping the box until it is rebooted. If I understood you right, that is part of your situation. There may be other issues too, but I'd address this before them.

Check out the silicondust support forums. Jafa's the guy that designed the card.

jelgass
01-05-2007, 12:36 PM
To clarify:

1. I cannot access TyTools at all using double socket mode. I have disabled my firewall (and checked to make sure WinXP firewall is also disabled). I get a "data socket connection failed" message. I can't figure out what is blocking.

2. When I switch to single socket mode, I am able to extract a very short program (50MB). I have tried extracting several larger programs, got one to work that was 494MB, but others "hang" at various stages, anywhere after200 to 350 MB. When this happens, I can no longer ping the DTivo until I reboot.

Thanks for the suggestion on silicondust support forums, I will check there as well.

Jamie
01-05-2007, 12:41 PM
When this happens, I can no longer ping the DTivo until I reboot.This is the part that sounds to me like a low level network hw/sw problem. I'd fix the low level problems before trying to deal with higher level problems.

As always, a serial console is really a necessary debugging tool for network issues.

satpac
02-12-2007, 02:06 AM
I have the same problem with an upgraded system. I can download (get) files only when in single socket mode when I connect from outside my local Lan. I can however get 2nd socket to work while inside my lan. I have no idea what I can change to get it to work with 2nd socket. The drivers check out because everything works fine when I am on a private IP address, but when I switch to public everything works fine but I have to select single socket. I would really like to know what your solution is if you find one.

Jamie
02-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I have the same problem with an upgraded system. I can download (get) files only when in single socket mode when I connect from outside my local Lan. I can however get 2nd socket to work while inside my lan. I have no idea what I can change to get it to work with 2nd socket. The drivers check out because everything works fine when I am on a private IP address, but when I switch to public everything works fine but I have to select single socket. I would really like to know what your solution is if you find one.This doesn't sound like that same problem at all, and sounds like a normal firewall issue. I would not expect double socket mode to work if you are behind a firewall or NAT device.

jakes
07-12-2008, 06:36 AM
I had a hanging Tivo problem when I tried to extract programs from my tivo.
It was a timing problem.
Telnet to tivo and run 'nic_config_tivo'.
Change thr timing setting.
I used optimal timing and it fixed my problem.