PDA

View Full Version : DTV replaced my HR10 with an HR20... Now what can I do with it?

geordi
01-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Well this sucks. My very loved and totally hacked HR10 died on me (Cardslot / mobo, I can still watch programs but it can't detect the card anymore) and after being told by the liars that I would be getting another HR10 as I "Wasn't eligible" for an HR20...

I open the box to find an HR20 in it. :mad: It would appear that I need to send DTV my HR10 to avoid them charging me a "non-return" fee of almost $500... This is on a box that I OWN after shelling out $600 for it last January, and the replacement is a F-ing refurb, and is ONLY being listed as a "leased unit" on my account. Oh goody. So does that mean that I can't open it and screw with it? (Like that isn't going to happen) but more importantly...

What the hell can I *DO* to it? Can it be hacked yet? does ANYTHING work already, like web access or TivoWebPlus (or any other software, TivoToGo maybe?) I'm a bit stumped. I'm not happy about this, as (Of course) the damn thing is full of programs and I JUST got done with the software upgrade to 6.3a, and was about to do the 6.3B upgrade. Bah.

/me is irritated at Dave's stupidity. The weiner I was stuck with in Retention acted like I should be HAPPY that I got an upgrade instead of the "same old unit, you can always re-create your season passes" not understanding what I was trying to avoid telling them. Oh, and "there is another upgrade to the HDTV programming coming that will move everyone to a new satellite (yet another one?) and MPEG4 programming, and that would FORCE me to get an HR20, so aren't you (meaning me) happy that you got the upgrade now?"

So what can be done with this evil thing? And can I turn off the All Seeing Blue Eye Of Sauron on the front of it?

GetMe
01-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Call DTV, tell them you purchased the UNIT not Leased.

They did not start leasing until Feb of 06.

I just activated an HR10 and 2 months ago and told them that I purchased it from www.weaxxxxx.com and had an upgraded one so make sure its not leased, and they listed it in my account as owned.

geordi
01-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Personally, I don't really give a crap about the leased vs owned thing. I'm still going to open it and hack it. The problem is, I wanted another HR10 so that I *COULD* hack it. Supposedly, the benefit to "leased" is that I get lifetime free replacements, or it's $20 per replacement without the warranty. See how I wouldn't care much about a warranty sticker then?

As of yet, I don't think there is anything that can be done to the HR20, right? If this is anything like the "upgrade" to the P4/P5 cards.... Those weren't so much "upgrades" as prevention methods FOR hacking, and they have been quite effective. Different type of hacking tho, and one that I don't care about. But being able to upgrade the drive, add a second drive, use TivoWebPlus, maybe extract programs... THESE I care about.

RYSmith315
01-12-2007, 11:21 PM
D*TV enabled the eSATA port on the back of the HR20 a few releases back. Its not a supported function and its not a "second drive". If you connect a drive to the port on the back it will format it and use it as the primary drive. However, this is a TOTALLY unsupported feature...don't call and don't call...Customer Service knows nothing about this feature. The developers of this box are using the hacker community to test new features.

In late Dec '06, they enabled the Ethernet port and posted some beta info on how to access the box for "Music & Pictures" only via Intel VIIV media server software.

Also, the last two release candidates were sent out to the hacker community early for testing. If you care to play check out www.dbstalk.com. You can sign up to get a email when special "forced downloads" are available. If you force the HR20 to re-download its software during bootup (hit 02468 during the welcome screen) during on the "special update" windows you will get the RC version and if you hate it just wait until after the update window and force another D/L and you will get the national version again.

The first "special" update was dubbed "Santa", as it visited just before x-mas, and the last update was "Elvis", as it came on Elvis's b-day. With any luck there will be a "MLK" update to correct a few issues reported with Elvis.

Happy Hacking!

oakwcj
01-13-2007, 11:17 AM
In late Dec '06, they enabled the Ethernet port and posted some beta info on how to access the box for "Music & Pictures" only via Intel VIIV media server software.

This is inaccurate. Any UPNP server -- WMP11, Tversity, Twonky, etc. -- will work with the HR20.

D* is allowing DBStalk forum members to beta test release candidates. I certainly wouldn't call any of it "hacking," since no source code is available and you can't really do anything unintended with the boxes.

RYSmith315
01-13-2007, 12:18 PM
D* is allowing DBStalk forum members to beta test release candidates. I certainly wouldn't call any of it "hacking," since no source code is available and you can't really do anything unintended with the boxes.

I didn't say there was any hacking going on.....just testing by the "Hacker Community". Its a chance to get a preview of new features as long as you know how to treat a Beta test software.

av8rdude
01-13-2007, 02:55 PM
I didn't say there was any hacking going on.....just testing by the "Hacker Community". Its a chance to get a preview of new features as long as you know how to treat a Beta test software.

It's called enhancing and patching....not hacking :D

geordi
01-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Ok, moron question then: If the Esata is enabled and the box re-directs everything to that port instead of the internal... Can something like an E-sata Raid box (if such an animal exists) be used to create one REALLY BIG drive?

Also, if it's partitioning the external and using it as the main (only) storage drive... What about all the season passes? Are they in flash somewhere, or do they need to be re-created if an external is added?

What happens when the external is removed and tivo rebooted? Does the internal get wiped again, or (since it's already partitioned correctly) does it just "switch back" and move on?

Ditto for re-connecting the external: Wiped again, or just re-connected?

Yea, I'm trying to learn before I risk the shows that I have already recorded, and fer DAMN sure I don't want to re-do the 40-some season passes that I just finished re-creating.

geordi
01-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Would someone like to explain why the word idi0t is blocked on this server? It's not a swear word.

PlainBill
01-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Would someone like to explain why the word idi0t is blocked on this server? It's not a swear word.
Hmm, maybe if you look in a mirror.... Nah, that's not it.

PlainBill

RYSmith315
01-16-2007, 03:21 PM
The way it was explained was that when the external drive is detected it will partition it as if it were a new system..... no season passes, no shows, no phone settings, etc....

If the external drive is removed the internal will be used but NOT repartitioned.

As for using a huge RAID.... I've seen talk but no one had the bucks to buy one.
The feature has had very little testing from the development team. It might work, might not. If you try it let us know how it went :)

joed32
02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Raid enclosures apparently do work. Some people on dbstalk.com are using 2 750s in a Raid. When you disconnect the external drive and reboot, the internal drive is back on. I suppose you could jump back and forth at will or even have several external drives or arrays.

geordi
02-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Well, hopefully this saga will have a happy ending for me, and help someone else avoid Dave's evil plans.

I have my "defective" HR10 operational again, and hacked for fun. I did a C&DE on the box, and when it rebooted, all was working again. Go figure, but it looks like Dave glitched the box for a lot of people so they would call in and get stuck with these HR20s. But since mine is fixed now, I'm waiting for a box to send back this evil HR20 for good. Good riddance.

captain_video
02-22-2007, 08:09 PM
I didn't say there was any hacking going on.....just testing by the "Hacker Community".
I'd hesitate to refer to the membership at DBSTalk.com as a "Hacker Community." With but a few exceptions, most of them act like deer caught in the headlights when you start talking about hacking a Tivo. There are fewer hackers there than at the Tivo Community Forum, which is more of a social club than anything else.;)

joeblow17
08-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Might be interesting if you can hook up an external drive but if it won't work with USB I was thinking of something like DROBO which would allow you to add and remove as much disk space needed.

geordi
08-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Well, I don't really give two poops about that HR20 anymore. It's LOOOOOOONG gone, and good riddance!

My setup is such (and my knowledge of Dave's policies) that I am served by the current HDTV offerings, and don't really have any interest in the "upcoming" channels that may or may not be viewable by my humble little hacked-just-the-way-I-like-it 1TB of HR10. Dave is loathe to remove older programming methods unless there is a REALLY REALLY good reason, and forcing all the older HD channels to MPEG4 would also require them to completely swap out every older HDTV box, not just the Tivos. I might be wrong about the non-Tivo HD receivers, but I don't think the first generations supported MPEG4 either.

So that means all the early adopters would need to have their boxes PAID FOR, since this is a change without the end user's option. Dave doesn't do stuff like that. If a user has still got their first-generation receiver for standard TV, only the card has been replaced due to Dave's anti-piracy efforts.

The only HD channels that I watch are the NYC feeds, and since those are part of the original HD channels, I strongly believe they will be left alone on the main bird. I could be wrong, but it would be highly unlikely for Dave to pull those and change the setup.

jt1134
08-04-2007, 06:09 PM
The only HD channels that I watch are the NYC feeds, and since those are part of the original HD channels, I strongly believe they will be left alone on the main bird. I could be wrong, but it would be highly unlikely for Dave to pull those and change the setup.

All HD channels will be moved to mpeg4 sooner or later. The 119 satellite won't be alive too much longer, and directv is just leasing space on the 110 and that's not gonna last much longer either. So, unfortunately, if you have directv and hd, soon you'll have to have an HR20 to record any HD. Besides, the HR20 isn't really that bad of a box anyways.

geordi
08-16-2007, 12:59 AM
Yea, SUUUUUUURRRRRREEEEEEE it isn't. Unhackable, non-upgradeable (adding features, or adding a new drive without losing your existing shows / passes), no B drive option, no direct download of shows, massive copy protection garbage... Tell me again how that's a GOOD thing?

I've been hearing that the 119 sat is going away for a looooooong time now. Hasn't happened yet. And Dave will owe me BIG favors if they don't send a letter before they do (if ever) reduce the old programming. You don't realize, the main feeds are also the corporate feeds for business clients. There aren't many channels on that bird, but those are used by a lot of places that will be hard-pressed to just drop new equipment in on a whim. That stuff needs to be paid for.

I still say that while I don't expect the new stuff on my HR10, I'm also dubious that the stuff I DO have will go away. Like I said, Dave still supports the old series 1 receivers that people have, they had to develop each generation of cards to be backwards-compatible. That, or they would HAVE to provide new equivalent equipment to every user. That's a LOT of hi-def machines out there.