PDA

View Full Version : Custom Kernels

Jamie
03-28-2007, 01:19 PM
These are custom kernels built from the TiVo provided linux sources.

Why would you want to use a custom built kernel? Because you can. Perhaps it will give you a sense of superiority over the HR20 users.
For additional capabilities not included in the stock kernels, e.g. a journaled file system.
For improved performance. In particular, turning CONFIG_NETFILTER off and turning CONFIG_NET_FAST_TCP on seems to help network performance.

kernel-build.tar.bz2 holds the script, patches and kernel config files for building 8.1 and 8.1.1 TiVo linux kernels. You'll also a need a toolchain if you want to build kernels yourself. This (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46361) is the one I use.

All kernels have no initrd and are, obviously, not signed with the TiVo signing key. That means they are suitable for use on a PROM mod'd tivo, or as a monte target kernel. They won't boot directly on unmodified hardware.

All kernels are compiled with ext3 built in, CONFIG_NETFILTER off, and CONFIG_NET_FAST_TCP on. You will want to replace /sbin/iptables, as described here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=204669#post204669) if you use these kernels. Otherwise, you might see crashes when the tivo software tries to load iptable rules.

Note that on the TGC01 (SA DT) and Gen05 (Series3) platforms, if you use the built in ethernet, you'll need to use the included drivers with these kernels. The factory stock drivers are not compatible with a kernel compiled with CONFIG_NETFILTER off.

Series2: traditional Series2 platforms
Gen04: "Series 2.5" -- 5xx modesl
TGC01: StandAlone DualTuner
Gen05: Series3
Gen06: TiVoHD -- see this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=299520#post299520)

Jump ahead to here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=299520#post299520) for 9.4.1 Gen05 and Gen06 kernels:

tsanga
07-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Jamie,

What's the difference between the Series 2 kernel in the above post, and the one here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244219&postcount=32)?

Jamie
07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Jamie,

What's the difference between the Series 2 kernel in the above post, and the one here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244219&postcount=32)?The former was built from the 8.1 tivo linux kernel sources, while the later was built from 7.2 sources. There may be some slight differences in kernel options used too.

Functionally, they are probably pretty close to the same, but if you are running 8.x, I guess I'd choose the 8.x kernel over a 7.x kernel. I run these 8.x kernels myself.

tsanga
07-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Can I monte into any kernel version? In other words, do I have to correspond software version to corresponding kernel? I was under the impression that 6.x has to be matched with either a 3.1.5 or 7.2.2 kernel. Or maybe with a monte, it doesn't matter.

Jamie
07-31-2007, 09:16 PM
Can I monte into any kernel version? In other words, do I have to correspond software version to corresponding kernel? I was under the impression that 6.x has to be matched with either a 3.1.5 or 7.2.2 kernel. Or maybe with a monte, it doesn't matter.The main constraint is that linux kernel version matches (e.g. 2.4.20) and that the platform is compatible (e.g. not use a Gen04 kernel on a Series2, and vice versa).

The only killhdinitrd 2.4.20 kernels are 3.1.5 and 7.2.2-oth.K1, which might be where you got the idea.

Everything since 5.x has used a 2.4.20 kernel. Even the new TiVoHD is still running a 2.4.20 kernel.

tsanga
07-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Got it. Thank you much.

Edit: Found out the hard way which one works. Heh....

Numbski
09-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Since I'm not seeing a "support" thread for this Jamie, I'll ask in here -

My Tivo died. Again. So I'm starting over (third time in 5 years...yuck). When I ran killhdinitrd on the AlphaWolf 62small.mfs restore image, I had two kernels - one that the killhdinitrd program didn't recognize, and a 3.1.1c that identified itself and kernel 2.4.4.

So the question is basically thus - I am pretty sure I can monte to this with impunity, but with the filesystems I have in place, is there any simple way to convert to ext3? I spend my life on FreeBSD and OSX anymore, so my impression is that I'd have to tar up the existing ext2 tivo filesystem (I'm booted from the MFS Tools CD atm) ie tar -z --create --file /nfs/share/elsewhere/tivo.tar.gz /mnt/tivo, store it elsewhere, then do a new mkfs /dev/hda7 (which is the root of my tivo's filesystem) for this to be really useful.

Am I right about this? For extra credit, is there a one-stop shopping link for drivers that work with these kernels? ie - USB2 supported NICs, and umass? Seeing as you're saying these are 2.4.2, and my tivo claims to be 2.4.4, I have concerns about existing kernel drivers not working, and I have a set of usb drivers sitting here, and I'm not 100% confident now that they are 2.4.4 or 2.4.2.

(I've since confirmed that the drivers I have are for 2.4.2 - so presuming you give me the "yes sir!", I'll monte from 2.4.4 to 2.4.2, and load the drivers from here:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38167 <- Jamie USB2 Backport Drivers

)

Hopefully this saves questions from other onlookers! Also need to confirm that this kernel is "okay" for 6.2. It's the only restore image I have handy, and it's for a DirecTivo.

Jamie
09-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Since I'm not seeing a "support" thread for this Jamie, I'll ask in here -

My Tivo died. Again. So I'm starting over (third time in 5 years...yuck). When I ran killhdinitrd on the AlphaWolf 62small.mfs restore image, I had two kernels - one that the killhdinitrd program didn't recognize, and a 3.1.1c that identified itself and kernel 2.4.4.

So the question is basically thus - I am pretty sure I can monte to this with impunity, but with the filesystems I have in place, is there any simple way to convert to ext3? I spend my life on FreeBSD and OSX anymore, so my impression is that I'd have to tar up the existing ext2 tivo filesystem (I'm booted from the MFS Tools CD atm) ie tar -z --create --file /nfs/share/elsewhere/tivo.tar.gz /mnt/tivo, store it elsewhere, then do a new mkfs /dev/hda7 (which is the root of my tivo's filesystem) for this to be really useful.

Am I right about this? For extra credit, is there a one-stop shopping link for drivers that work with these kernels? ie - USB2 supported NICs, and umass? Seeing as you're saying these are 2.4.2, and my tivo claims to be 2.4.4, I have concerns about existing kernel drivers not working, and I have a set of usb drivers sitting here, and I'm not 100% confident now that they are 2.4.4 or 2.4.2.

(I've since confirmed that the drivers I have are for 2.4.2 - so presuming you give me the "yes sir!", I'll monte from 2.4.4 to 2.4.2, and load the drivers from here:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38167 <- Jamie USB2 Backport Drivers

)

Hopefully this saves questions from other onlookers!It's 2.4.20, not 2.4.2.

You can convert an ext2 file system to ext3 in place with tune2fs. It's fast and easy. tune2fs is part of e2fsprogs. A mips build can be found here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=247138#post247138).

You don't want root to be ext3 if your initial boot kernel (pre monte) doesn't have ext3 support though. It won't be able to mount the root file system to do the monte.

Numbski
09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Well shoot. I was hoping to fix things up so that if the power failed, the thing would be back up right quick because it didn't need to fsck the root filesystem. oops. So there is really precious little benefit to ext3 on the tivo. :( Oops.

Jamie
09-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Well shoot. I was hoping to fix things up so that if the power failed, the thing would be back up right quick because it didn't need to fsck the root filesystem. oops. So there is really precious little benefit to ext3 on the tivo. :( Oops.Leave root ro then and make a separate file system, running ext3, for your hacks. The tivo software never runs e2fsck on the root file system IIRC, since it is always suppose to be readonly. Ext3 can also be handy for /var, prevent it from getting rebuilt due to corruption and e2fsck failures after a hard powerdown.

Numbski
09-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Ah, that's good to know. Thanks Jamie!

katiebear00
10-19-2007, 10:33 AM
The Gen04 custom kernel doesn't work with my prom-modded 540 and 9.1 software, and reboots just after the "almost there" splash. The relevant console output seems to be:
iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
assert: Tmk Assertion Failure:
assert: TmkServer, line 379 ()
Tmk Fatal Error: Activity TvBusProxy <100> strayed!Full console output is attached. This kernel worked great before I upgraded to 9.1. When I used a 9.1 kernel with initrd replaced, it worked fine. I thought I read elsewhere that the custom TGC01 kernel was working with 9.1 software, but wanted to give you a data point for the 540.

Jamie
10-19-2007, 10:48 AM
The Gen04 custom kernel doesn't work with my prom-modded 540 and 9.1 software, and reboots just after the "almost there" splash. The relevant console output seems to be:
iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
assert: Tmk Assertion Failure:
assert: TmkServer, line 379 ()
Tmk Fatal Error: Activity TvBusProxy <100> strayed!Full console output is attached. This kernel worked great before I upgraded to 9.1. When I used a 9.1 kernel with initrd replaced, it worked fine. I thought I read elsewhere that the custom TGC01 kernel was working with 9.1 software, but wanted to give you a data point for the 540.Works fine, if you stub out iptables. These kernels have netfilter turned off, to gain a little more speed, and since 7.x, tivo's will crash with such kernels unless you replace iptables, as described here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=204669#post204669).

I added a note about this to the first post of the thread to help out the next person who might run into this.

jkozee
10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Is the S3 kernel compatible with the TiVoHD, or is a Gen06 build required? I tried the S3 on my TiVoHD and didn't make it to the AlmostThere screen. I'm gonna go back and double check my prom patch and dig out my linux box (been a while since I built a kernel), but I thought I'd post here first.

Edit: I think my prom patch is correct. My patched MD5 is 65897F032305885B62A5FC48E682A62F, using a standard gzip.

Jamie
10-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Here's the Gen06 kernel built from the 8.1.7 sources with an updated build script.

jkozee
10-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks! I was just going through my kernel building notes. I would much rather start tinkering with my new unit than mucking around with kernels.

Soapm
10-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Did the kernel change on a S2 DT from OS 8.1 to 9.1? Will you be releasing 9.1 kernels?

Jamie
10-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Did the kernel change on a S2 DT from OS 8.1 to 9.1? Will you be releasing 9.1 kernels?The 8.x kernels work fine with 9.1.

crashHD
11-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Should the Gen04 kernel run on an R10?

Has anyone tried it?

crashHD
12-01-2007, 01:13 AM
tried it. reboot loop. This is on an R10 with 6.1a, and I'm pretty sure I stubbed out iptables correctly.

Jamie
12-01-2007, 10:20 AM
tried it. reboot loop. This is on an R10 with 6.1a, and I'm pretty sure I stubbed out iptables correctly.An 8.x kernel requires 8.x network drivers too. You took care of that as well?

crashHD
12-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I must have screwed something up. I'm getting a reboot loop even after putting the original kernel back in.

I was using the same backport drivers I was using with the original kernel. That probably didn't help. If it makes a diagnostic difference, it rebooted without even a network card connected.

Jamie
12-01-2007, 10:59 AM
I must have screwed something up. I'm getting a reboot loop even after putting the original kernel back in.

I was using the same backport drivers I was using with the original kernel. That probably didn't help. If it makes a diagnostic difference, it rebooted without even a network card connected.You'll probably want to look at the serial console output to debug this.

lrhorer
01-31-2008, 03:05 AM
Here's the Gen06 kernel built from the 8.1.7 sources with an updated build script.

OK, so I obtained a copy of MFS_Live which understands SATA drives, and I used it to build an upgrade CD using a utility I can't mention here, but it doesn't work, so I'm stuck for the moment. I can boot and mount the partitions from the TiVo HD drive, and I have a file called vmlinux-Gen06.px in one of the directories. What, exactly, do I need to do to replace the kernel on my TiVo HD? How can I back up the existing kernel so if I goof or something goes wrong I can return to the working kernel? I've read through the forum extensively, but it's really difficult to tell what procedures will and won't work on the TiVo HD and which ones would work but better ways have been created since their inception. What's worst, it hard to know which might potentially brick the TiVo HD.

I really want to get this working by this weekend, because there are several great programs on this weekend I'll lose if I don't have the mods complete.

psxboy
01-31-2008, 11:12 AM
To backup your existing kernel:

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=92kernel-orig

To replace kernel:

dd if=vmlinux-Gen06.px of=/dev/hda3

This assumes a) your tivo drive is hda, b) your active kernel partition is 3, and that you're in the directory you want to save your backed-up kernel in and/or your replacement kernel file is located in.

Other possibilities include:
Tivo drive is sda or sdb... etc. (if not performing this on the Tivo itself)
Active kernel partition could be 3 or 6 - check with bootpage -b

psxboy

lrhorer
02-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Well, that didn't work. It starts to boot, but then quits with a fatal error in the tverr log and reboots. I went back to the source, as it were, and downloaded Jamie's Gen06.tar.bz2 which has the same vmlinux-Gen06.px file (diff reports them to be identical) as in the mangled CD, but it also has a bcmenet.o file, with which I think I need to do something, but I don't know what. I'm sorry, I've read through the forum for several weeks now, but I still don't have a handle on hacking the Series III, and time has run out on me.

lrhorer
02-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Never mind. It goes in /platform/lib/modules

Neosum
03-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Just for clarification. Is the TGC01.tar.bz2 download kernal for the TCD649? Also, can I just replace this kernal on my tivo hd using "dd" or will I still need to use replace_initird?

Jamie
03-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Yes, the TGC01 kernel is for the SA SD dual tuner platform (649). These kernels have no initrd, so there is no need to neuter them.

lrhorer
04-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Jamie,

have you had a chance to look at the 9.3 release? Has its kernel changed?

Jamie
04-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Jamie,

have you had a chance to look at the 9.3 release? Has its kernel changed?Source hasn't been posted yet for the tivo 9.3 linux kernel. 9.1 and 9.2 were little changed from 8.x.

budrecki
04-12-2008, 10:57 PM
I recently had my TivoHD PROM'd and then I used the Gen06 Custom 8.1.7 Kernel to setup my customizations. I've applied the superpatch and somewhere along the way I lost the ability to see my TTCB Service.

Is this to be expected ?
Is there a problem with TTCB and Hack'd Tivos ?

jt1134
04-12-2008, 11:19 PM
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=390216

lrhorer
04-13-2008, 06:59 PM
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=390216

I don't see what the discussion at the link you provided has to do with the OPs problems.

Jamie
04-13-2008, 07:05 PM
I don't see what the discussion at the link you provided has to do with the OPs problems.The OP couldn't transfer from PC to tivo (TTCB). The referenced link discusses how the certificate used for TTCB has expired, and the feature will stop working unless you upgrade to the newer version of TiVoDesktop. Since the OP was having trouble with TTCB, it seems possible he's just run into this issue.

In any case, this is a FILES forum thread and discussion really doesn't belong here. I guess I never should have responded to any posts in this thread. Let's move discussion elsewhere.

swinokur
07-21-2008, 09:55 PM
I was having a look around the other day, and I notice that dynamic.tivo.com/linux is different from www.tivo.com/linux. For one thing www.tivo.com/linux has 9.3 kernel source listed.

I will probably have a go at building my own 9.3 kernel when i recover from work this week.

Jamie
10-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Here are custom Gen05 and Gen06 kernels built from the 9.4.1 tivo kernel sources. Be sure to read and understand the first post in this thread before attempting to us these custom kernels.

Like the stock 9.4 tivo kernels, these have the usbcore and host modules built into the kernels.

An additional patch is include here that changes some 32 bit ints in the tivo ide-disk.c driver to 64 bit ints. This allows the kernel to work with partitions > 1TiB. Without this patch, you'll get "kernel: idedisk_dosectors: Access beyond end of drive" errors with partitions > 1TiB. Note that there is still a 2TiB partition size limit imposed by the ancient apple partition table format the tivo still used.

The plain vmlinux-Gen0{5,6} kernels are built with the stock kernel tivo config options and no extras beyond the patch above.

The vmlinux-Gen0{5,6}-netopt-ext3 kernels have my favorite custom kernel extras: netfilter turned off, ext3 file system turned on, etc. You'll need to replace iptables if you use these kernels, as discussed in the first post in the thread. You'll also need to replace the stock bcmenet.o with the versions here.

Toolchain and kernel build scripts are also included. I tested these on both linux (fedora 10) and cygwin. On cygwin, you need to use a "managed mount" when you build the toolchain to work around the fact that NTFS is case insensitive.

StanSimmons
01-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Gen06.tar.bz2 works like a champ on my prom hacked TiVoHD.

Thanks Jamie!

Offspring2099
02-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Will the lastest builts ("Gen05-netopt-ext3...kernels built from the 9.4.1 tivo kernel sources") work with v11 software?

So does bcmenet.o go to /lib/modules/ or /platform/lib/modules ?

Jamie
02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Will the lastest builts ("Gen05-netopt-ext3...kernels built from the 9.4.1 tivo kernel sources") work with v11 software?Yes.
So does bcmenet.o go to /lib/modules/ or /platform/lib/modules ?Replace the original, in /platform/lib/modules. It's probably a good idea to rename the original so you have it in case there is any problem.

Offspring2099
02-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes.Replace the original, in /platform/lib/modules. It's probably a good idea to rename the original so you have it in case there is any problem.
Sweet. Will do.
Thank you for a quick response and of course the actual kernels.

T_RJ
02-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Jamie
I am using you Gen06-netopt-ext3.tar.bz2 kernal.
The system rebooted on its own. This is repeating in the kernal log before the reboot. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Thanks

Thierry

Feb 10 20:25:08 (none) kernel: Gen06ScdTsInput[1]: No PCR entry in past 30 seconds (PCR: 0x31)
Feb 10 20:25:09 (none) kernel: Gen06ScdTsInput[0]: No PCR entry in past 30 seconds (PCR: 0x21)
Feb 10 20:25:39 (none) kernel: Gen06ScdTsInput[1]: No PCR entry in past 30 seconds (PCR: 0x31)
Feb 10 20:25:40 (none) kernel: Gen06ScdTsInput[0]: No PCR entry in past 30 seconds (PCR: 0x21)
Feb 10 20:26:09 (none) kernel: Gen06ScdTsInput[1]: No PCR entry in past 30 seconds (PCR: 0x31)
Feb 10 20:26:10 (none) kernel: Gen06ScdTsInput[0]: No PCR entry in past 30 seconds (PCR: 0x21)
Feb 10 20:26:40 (none) kernel: Gen06ScdTsInput[1]: No PCR entry in past 30 seconds (PCR: 0x31)
Feb 10 20:26:41 (none) kernel: Gen06ScdTsInput[0]: No PCR entry in past 30 seconds (PCR: 0x21)

Jamie
02-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Is it in a reboot loop, or was it a onetime reboot? The kernel works fine on my THD. It's been up for more than 30 days without a reboot on 11.0 with that kernel.

As near as I can tell, those messages aren't coming from the kernel or kernel modules, they are coming from /platform/lib/libhpk.so, linked into tivoapp.

PCR messages look signal source related to me. PCR: "Program Clock Reference"; TS: "Transport Stream"? Perhaps your signal source is bad?

T_RJ
02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
it is not in a reboot loop just those were the messages just before it rebooted. I think you are correct about the signal source my OTA antena was not connected

Thanks

T

Offspring2099
02-14-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm getting about 50mbps with vmlinux-Gen05-netopt-ext3 kernel.
Both with using patched mfs_ftp.tcl (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=196646&postcount=68) or tserver.
Jamie you mention that you achieved speeds of 90mbps (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=279215&postcount=11), based on netpref numbers. Are those numbers different than a practical download speed? Or is something special required?

Jamie
02-14-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm getting about 50mbps with vmlinux-Gen05-netopt-ext3 kernel.
Both with using patched mfs_ftp.tcl (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=196646&postcount=68) or tserver.
Jamie you mention that you achieved speeds of 90mbps (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=279215&postcount=11), based on netpref numbers. Are those numbers different than a practical download speed? Or is something special required?Netperf is a raw network performance measurement. Application level disk-to-network transfers are bound to be slower. Speed will also depend on what else your tivo is doing. Tuning to "dead' channels usually helps speed up transfers.

Offspring2099
02-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Netperf is a raw network performance measurement. Application level disk-to-network transfers are bound to be slower. Speed will also depend on what else your tivo is doing. Tuning to "dead' channels usually helps speed up transfers.
Got it, Thanks, I will differently try the dead channel tip.
50mbps is still fast, I mean I'm happy with it. I can extract a 1.5 hour HD recording in 20 minutes. On my s2 set up a recording of that size would take 2-3 hours.

AlphaWolf
07-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Jamie, you might want to remove the "Gen06: TiVoHD -- see this" link from the OP since that now links to an outdated kernel. I'd been out of the loop for so long that the software versions were just numbers to me and grabbed the wrong one :D Was part of the cause for my tivohd not booting past the "a few minutes more" screen.

ScanMan
07-28-2009, 08:53 AM
Jamie, you might want to remove the "Gen06: TiVoHD -- see this" link from the OP since that now links to an outdated kernel. I'd been out of the loop for so long that the software versions were just numbers to me and grabbed the wrong one :D Was part of the cause for my tivohd not booting past the "a few minutes more" screen.I don't understand. The kernel may be "outdated" in that it was built from 9.x sources, but it still works for me on my TivoHD with 11.0d.

AlphaWolf
07-28-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't understand. The kernel may be "outdated" in that it was built from 9.x sources, but it still works for me on my TivoHD with 11.0d.

It doesn't include the usbcore driver which doesn't allow the tuning resolver module driver to load, which halts the boot process. Unless you muck around with the startup scripts anyways.

Jamie
07-28-2009, 12:49 PM
I updated the first Gen06 link today to point at the 9.x build, making it consistent with the later update link. It used to point to the 8.1.7 Gen06 kernel, which does not have usbcore built-in. As I pointed out elsewhere (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=303943#post303943), it's useful to tweak the startup scripts to allow module load failures.

djliquidice
02-16-2010, 09:54 AM
I realize this is a newb question, but can someone point me to a resource that explains what files to replace where? I'm not a newbie to the BASH/PERL/Linux, but am a newbie to TiVo :(. Thanks :)

djliquidice
02-17-2010, 07:32 AM
I realize this is a newb question, but can someone point me to a resource that explains what files to replace where? I'm not a newbie to the BASH/PERL/Linux, but am a newbie to TiVo :(. Thanks :)

actually, scratch that. heh. I did some more research, found that i needed to socket and hack the PROM, which is beyond what i'm willing to do w/ my time.

Thanks ;)

cordless
05-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Need the PROM code for hacking my Tivo3 or Tivo4 , can anyone point to the source of hacked prom code ? ILL be willing to trade my chip hardware mod skills if anyone wants the soldering and programming stuff done thats my specialty. my email xboxsold_gmail.com

mike_s
05-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Need the PROM code for hacking my Tivo3 or Tivo4 , can anyone point to the source of hacked prom code ?Wrong forum, and the wrong thread to ask in. S3 PROM info here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52620).

myasus
09-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Help needed. Hope this is relevant thread to ask. I purchased a Trendnet TU2-ETG USB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter instead of the supported TU2-ET100 version. I found TU2-ETG is using an ASIX AX88178 controller. ASIX provided the Linux drivers, but only for Linux kernel 2.6.9 or above. I checked that my THD is still using 2.4.20 kernel. Can any body tell me is it still possible to get this adapter working for THD? Thanks in advance for your help.

Soapm
10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
From post 37 it says, "An additional patch is include here that changes some 32 bit ints in the tivo ide-disk.c driver to 64 bit ints. This allows the kernel to work with partitions > 1TiB. Without this patch, you'll get "kernel: idedisk_dosectors: Access beyond end of drive" errors with partitions > 1TiB. Note that there is still a 2TiB partition size limit imposed by the ancient apple partition table format the tivo still used."

Which file is the patch and how do you apply it? Can it be applied with the drive in the tivo?

Soapm
10-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Ok, process of elimination I figured out that build-scripts.tar.bz2‎ is the patch. However, when I hacked the drive I used Gen06.tar.bz2‎ for my kernel and I would like to switch to Gen06-netopt-ext3.tar.bz2‎. I see all this stuff about dd copy and have no idea what the process is or how you use that command.

Can someone please explain the steps to copying over kernel Gen06-netopt-ext3.tar.bz2‎ and applying the patch? I am pretty sure I didn't the iptables and inserted bcmenet.o as part of the initial hack. However if I knew the commands to verify they are correct that would be appreciated also.

Soapm
10-13-2011, 10:55 PM
I found the patch file inside the scripts. It was named partition-limit-fix.patch. I put it in my var directory and tried to run it and got this. HELP!!!

FamRoom2-bash# ./partition-limit-fix.patch
diff: linux-2.4-orig/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c: No such file or directory
diff: linux-2.4/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c: No such file or directory
./partition-limit-fix.patch: ---: command not found
./partition-limit-fix.patch: +++: command not found
./partition-limit-fix.patch: @@: command not found
./partition-limit-fix.patch: unsigned: command not found
./partition-limit-fix.patch: int: command not found
./partition-limit-fix.patch: int: command not found
./partition-limit-fix.patch: -: command not found
./partition-limit-fix.patch: -: command not found
./partition-limit-fix.patch: +: command not found
./partition-limit-fix.patch: +: command not found
./partition-limit-fix.patch: line 12: syntax error near unexpected token `HWIF(d'
./partition-limit-fix.patch: line 12: ` ide_hwif_t *hwif = HWIF(drive);'

Jamie
10-14-2011, 12:30 PM
This patch is a source patch for the linux kernel. It is only useful if you are able to compile kernels for yourself from source. From the last view posts, I don't think you are ready to do that yourself yet. You really need some background in Linux development before you can jump into compiling kernels.

You can use the kernel I built and posted. It has the patch already applied.

Soapm
10-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Ok, so you're saying the kernel shouldn't be the problem causing my reboots... I thought it was my Tivo getting around to using the 1.7TB partition WinMFS created. Darn, that puts me back as square one.

Onward and upward is how we learn... thanks...

Jamie
10-14-2011, 04:17 PM
If the kernel was a problem, you'd be seeing message like this: "kernel: idedisk_dosectors: Access beyond end of drive".

Soapm
10-14-2011, 04:48 PM
The last logs have some kind of panic error from the kernel with what looks like a long code dump which is what made me start looking that direction.

I have the stock drive back in it for now so I have time to figure this out. Thanks for the help and the kernels...

Soapm
12-04-2011, 02:26 AM
Correct me if I am wrong somebody, I have a partition that is 1.7tb.

I need to run "partition-limit-fix.patch" against my ide-disk.c driver to enable 64 bit ints. I'm not getting the error Jamie list in my logs but I have to wonder if I am having consistency problems.

Secondly, if I need to run this patch, is this the correct command I would use? That is a confusing command.

diff -u -r linux-2.4-orig/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c linux-2.4/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c

Jamie
12-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Correct me if I am wrong somebody, I have a partition that is 1.7tb.

I need to run "partition-limit-fix.patch" against my ide-disk.c driver to enable 64 bit ints. I'm not getting the error Jamie list in my logs but I have to wonder if I am having consistency problems.

Secondly, if I need to run this patch, is this the correct command I would use? That is a confusing command.

diff -u -r linux-2.4-orig/drivers/ide/ide-disk.c linux-2.4/drivers/ide/ide-disk.cLet me repeat:
This patch is a source patch for the linux kernel. It is only useful if you are able to compile kernels for yourself from source. From the last view posts, I don't think you are ready to do that yourself yet. You really need some background in Linux development before you can jump into compiling kernels.

You can use the kernel I built and posted. It has the patch already applied. By the way, this is thread is in the FILES area and is not an appropriate place to ask questions.

Soapm
12-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Let me repeat: By the way, this is thread is in the FILES area and is not an appropriate place to ask questions.

Sorry, I didn't realize I asked that before. Been reading so much it's hard remember what's what.

Gotcha on the other!

ciper
11-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Would anyone be so kind as to post the custom kernels in TAK format? Specifically the Gen06.tar.bz2 for use with a Tivo HD under WinMFS