PDA

View Full Version : Odd question: repurposing S2 directivo

jvanbrecht
04-19-2007, 03:03 PM
I just got Fios, and a S3, however, I still have 3 S2 directivos.. has anyone developed (I had to use that term to tie it into this forum :D ) a use for them (other then giving them away). I would still like to use them in some fashion or another....... Just curious.. been a lurker for a long ass time.

Roger Dylan
04-19-2007, 03:22 PM
I just got Fios, and a S3, however, I still have 3 S2 directivos.. has anyone developed (I had to use that term to tie it into this forum :D ) a use for them (other then giving them away). I would still like to use them in some fashion or another....... Just curious.. been a lurker for a long ass time.They are nice playback stations, say served with Tivoserver. And/or mounting external hard drive cases that take removable hard drives on sleds.

I did that for many years, but the thing is, I have become very used to the way the HR10-250s "stretch out" just a bit a 4x3 image to look a little nicer on a 16x9 screen. By comparison the Series 2 picture looks square. It's not square, it's true 4x3 but when you spend a lot of your time looking at 16x9, it seems square. Of course you give up the ease of tivoserver with the HR10-250 and have to get a little more complicated about serving content.

So lately I tend to use (for myself and others) HR10-250s for my playback stations, so I've got a huge stack of unused S2 DTivos as well. The solution is to find some friends who aren't making the transition to HiDef real soon (or who simply don't mind the squarish picture), set them up with tivoserver and give the s2s a nice useful new home.