PDA

View Full Version : Hacking a Series 2 SA TiVo Just Got Easier!!!

Darth Hack
04-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi all. i just made a easy-to-use TiVo hack script :cool: (Just Linux:()
Just uncompress it in a directory w/ fullly un-compressed tivotools.tar.7z, killhdinitrd, and a unhacked TiVo kernel then edit instantpie.sh to your liking then type ./instantpie.sh volia.

The Only Druid
04-21-2007, 09:05 AM
(a) "Typo" doesn't have an "i" in it. I find that amusingly ironic.

(b) I'm not going to start the flaming, but this board basically reviles attempts like this to automate the process, since all it does is usher in a bunch of users who don't know what they've done, why the did it, or how to diagnose future problems.

jt1134
04-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Wow, you wrote that all by yourself?? Friggin awesome!

mrblack51
04-22-2007, 11:14 PM
what does this provide that the hundreds of other pre-canned scripts provide? are you going to be around to support it? did you test it on more than one setup? does it support non-trivial configurations like trying to image a drive thats connected via USB or something?

enthusiasm and contributions are great, but another imaging script is not all that helpful when all it ends up being is another support headache for the members of this board.

Roger Dylan
04-23-2007, 12:02 AM
what does this provide that the hundreds of other pre-canned scripts [don't] provide?(disclaimer: I have not looked at this, so these are general comments) Add some more comment: describe what you tried to do and why. If you know something about other environments in which variations in approach would be required, mention that.

Scripts can be great teaching tools; they provide opportunities to observe how others have approached tasks. The issues are: 1. authors should design them as examples or teaching tools rather than applications; 2. users should use them as examples or learning tools rather than applications.

pentium101
04-23-2007, 04:06 AM
#!/bin/bash
echo "Starting instantpie by Hayes Williams"
mkdir /mnt/var
mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hdc9 /mnt/var
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/dos
cp /mnt/dos/vmlinux.px /mnt/var
killhdinitrd /mnt/var/vmlinux.px
dd if=/mnt/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda3
dd if=/mnt/var/vmlinux.px of=/dev/hda6
mkdir /mnt/hdc4
mkdir /mnt/hdc7
mount /dev/hdc4 /mnt/hdc4
mount /dev/hdc7 /mnt/hdc7
mkdir /mnt/hdc4/tivo-bin
mkdir /mnt/hdc7/tivo-bin
cp /mnt/hdc4/etc/netfilter-enable /mnt/hdc4/etc/netfilter-enable.bak
cp /mnt/hdc4/etc/netfilter-disable /mnt/hdc4/etc/netfilter-enable
mv /mnt/hdc4/sbin/dhclient /mnt/hdc4/sbin/dhclient.bak
cp /mnt/hdc7/etc/netfilter-enable /mnt/hdc7/etc/netfilter-enable.bak
cp /mnt/hdc7/etc/netfilter-disable /mnt/hdc7/etc/netfilter-enable
mv /mnt/hdc7/sbin/dhclient /mnt/hdc7/sbin/dhclient.bak
echo "#!/bin/bash
export PATH=$PATH:/tivo-bin" > telnet_me_to_/bin.sh
chmod 555 telnet_me_to_/bin.sh
touch mkrc
echo "#!/bin/bash
echo "" #> /mnt/hdc4/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author"
chmod 777 mkrc
nano mkrc
./mkrc
cp /mnt/hdc4/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author /mnt/hdc7/etc/rc.d/
chmod +x /mnt/hdc4/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
chmod +x /mnt/hdc7/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
mkdir /mnt/hdc7/tivo-bin
cp /mnt/dos/tivo-bin/* /mnt/hdc4/tivo-bin
cp /mnt/dos/tivo-bin/* /mnt/hdc7/tivo-bin
echo "Congrats it's a Hacked TiVo"
exitI've posted this for those that want to see what this script is doing. I can see a problem where most people will try to run this script as-is and not have the results that they were expecting.

Manually hacking a Tivo at first may seem intimidating, but it really is easier than you might think.

bitmap
04-23-2007, 10:41 PM
cp /mnt/dos/tivo-bin/* /mnt/hdc4/tivo-bin
cp /mnt/dos/tivo-bin/* /mnt/hdc7/tivo-bin

This will end up making multiple copies of the busybox binary, as many of the entries will normally be sym links if you just untar the archive to the destination directly.

slydog75
10-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Is this a joke? I can't imagine someone who could do this wouldn't know the reaction it would get here. It has to be a joke.

jt1134
10-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Is this a joke?
I'd hope so. I use a shell script I wrote whenever I need to start from scratch, but it's much more complicated/customized, and I'm sure it would get the same kind of reaction if I posted it here. If your familiar enough with bash to "edit it to your liking" than you should be able to at least write your own. The OP also asked for a 6.2 image for a SA 240 pretty recently.