PDA

View Full Version : hr20 mpeg2 or mpeg4? sup-2400 needed?

davel
04-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Having it all hooked up now and playing with it I still can't tell if it is recording in mpg 2 or 4. Is it just a matter of what station it is on? I would figure that but is there a way to tell or is there a setting? Also I just looked in the box that the installer left and there are a couple of zinwell sup-2400 "b band converter (bbc) modules". Are these even needed for the hr-20? It seems to be working fine without them installed and the instructions of the unit doesn't mention installing it.

Also when I connected to dtv over the network hookup. I take it that if I order a PPV movie it will use the network to bill me? IE now the network does the full functionality of the phone?

Overall impression over tivo is that it isn't as good for useability. I hate the double click guide. There is no real switching between tuners there is only rewind ability on the channel that you are watching.

That being said the things I like are setting a season pass is easier and the "usage" monitor is cool and network hookup. My unit did not have a seal on it so I opened it up with a t-10 (like the tivos). Needless to say I will be ordering a 750 gig soon. Another nice feature of the unit is the integration into the guide and record ability of the OTA hd channels. This alone would make the unit worth it without the HD programming.

captain_video
04-23-2007, 09:10 AM
The HR20 records both mpeg2 and mpeg4. There aren't that many mpeg4 channels available to the national market yet. Most mepg4 channels are limited to your specific locals and RSNs, where available.

PlainBill
04-23-2007, 11:50 AM
The bbc modules aren't needed AT THIS TIME; they'll be used when the new 'birds' come online later this year. Or next. Or in 2009.

It should be obvious that it records the data stream, just like the HR10, and the SD DirecTiVos. If it's receiving mpeg4, it records mpeg4.

I definitely agree about the double click to get the guide. No idea what, if anything, is sent over the network at this time.

PlainBill

davel
04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the responses, that clears it up. BTW does anyone know if there is a way to switch between tuners? All I can figure is that use previous channel. I am so used to the "down" tivo switch, it is hard to re-adjust.

captain_video
04-23-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't know if anyone ever figured out how to switch between tuners. I know there was some discussion about it over at dbstalk.com but I never heard if it was possible with the HR20.

joed32
04-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Over at dbstalk they have instructions to enable the single click guide. It will be included in the menu later. Mine changed with the last software update by itself.

abiallan
10-15-2008, 04:28 PM
thx for ur post @captain video :) got the way to solve my problem

Vlad-The-Impald
10-16-2008, 12:26 PM
So I get a call from DirecTV telling me that they are going to send out an installer to replace my HD20 and Receiver Dish 'Free of charge' because it needs to be upgraded. No one tells me any more details, so I call them back and eventually we get to the bottom of this....

The person on the phone determines that the HD20 receiver will not support MPEG4 format broadcasts that they are about to go full swing on, and it needs both a satellite dish upgrade (to 5 LNB apparently) and a receiver upgrade. My HD20 is virgin and hasn't been hacked or anything, but I just don't need the interruption. We have a SAT-T60 for SD broadcasts that is highly hacked and that's our main unit. The HD stuff doesn't interest me that much because we don't have a TV that will make the most of it.

But then I get into the details a bit further, and here's what they are doing:

Apparently I don't have a long term (ie. 2 yr) committment as my current one expired. Surprisingly about 2 yrs ago.

If I accept this 'replacement' unit, which has nothing to do with me, it comes with a further 2 yr DirecTV committment. Its like a cell phone replacement - they'll replace the unit free of charge, but I'm locked in for another 2 years. I don't have any intention on changing from DirecTV, but this 'bullying' tactic really has me pissed. I don't want them dictating to me my next 2 yrs Satellite TV choices, without me having any control.

So I ask the group here - what would you do? Does my HD20 really need upgrading? Is it something that would be worth the 2 yr committment to get?

Thoughts?

Vlad

stevel
10-18-2008, 11:11 AM
There is no such thing as a "HD20". Perhaps you mean HR10?

If so, and you decline the offer, your HR10 will become a standard-definition DTiVo with OTA capability. You will lose the handful of HD channels you can get today and miss out on the dozens that have been added over the past year and will be added in the future.

If you intend to stay with DirecTV for two more years, absolutely take them up on the offer.