PDA

View Full Version : New DirecTV owners returning to Tivo for PVR?

alfonzotan
06-06-2007, 01:36 PM
All apologies if this is deemed an inappropriate subforum, but it's an interesting bit, via dslreports.com. Short version: DirecTV's soon-to-be new ownership may be considering dumping the in-house R20 PVRs and returning to the Tivo platform... at least per Tivo's CEO (so take it for what it's worth). Click through for the whole thing.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/84562

hi_dencity
06-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Link to the article on SkyReport:

http://www.skyreport.com/archives/view/?publication_id=1&release_id=556

VaBeachGuy
07-15-2007, 04:13 PM
I really hope this comes to pass, I really don't like the HR20 as much as I do the TiVo.

groovadelic
08-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Whoa... something to hope for. We're seriously considering dropping DirecTV as soon as we can no longer use our TiVO

stevel
08-14-2007, 08:58 PM
I predict this is not going to happen.

oakwcj
08-15-2007, 01:11 PM
I predict this is not going to happen.

Are you predicting that groovadelic isn't going to leave DirecTV or that DirecTV isn't going to remarry TiVo? I'd agree with you on the latter, but remain agnostic on the former.

captain_video
08-15-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the response to this one.:eek:

chaeberle
08-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Too late.

I've already had the Comcast service reinstated and as soon as the cablecard issues are worked out (new technology, sigh), I'm cancelling my DirecTV and telling them their lack of support for TiVo is exactly why.

If they're going back, good for them, but I've got a DTiVo that never got the software to enable networking, and now with me having Vonage, can't even make its daily call. When the HD TiVo came out, that was the end of DTV's hope.

captain_video
08-15-2007, 07:24 PM
If they're going back, good for them, but I've got a DTiVo that never got the software to enable networking, and now with me having Vonage, can't even make its daily call. When the HD TiVo came out, that was the end of DTV's hope.
OK, you lost me there. DTivos will probably never get the networking software from DTV/Tivo, which is why we hack them ourselves to have that capability. With the fakecall hack you'll never have to worry about the DTivo calling out ever again. You totally lost me on the HDTivo statement. The HDTivo has had a good run, even though it won't be able to receive the new mpeg4 HD channels when they come out. You can still use it to record OTA HD broadcasts if you have access to them in your area. Otherwise, you'll have a standard definition DTivo with lots of recording space.:D

flagmaster
08-25-2007, 06:01 PM
From what I have been told, the HR10-250 will still be as-supported-as it is now, even when the MP4 stuff comes out. The only thing is that the current SAT HD stations prolly will move to MP4, and thus only OTA HD will be able to be recorded.

In my case, this is mostly all the HD I watch anyways, and since I can extract my shows and convert them to TS files in hd, this is something I am going to keep doing.

I will prolly get the new MP4 setup, but keep the current TV too.