PDA

View Full Version : New HR20 User

wdm
06-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Just had a HR 20 installed replacing a HR10.
Cost $50 with 2 year extension.
I really like its new featues. Much faster, better High Def., Stoage Useage.
The downside is the remote is quite different from TIVO and not as easy to use.
I've hooked it to my router via the ethernet connector. It doesn't show up in Network Places on my PC and seems to have limited use. Any ideas on possible hacks to use this feature?

PlainBill
06-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I understand no hacks are necessary. DBStalk (http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=74426) has information on using it with WMP, Viiv, TVersity and Twonky.

PlainBill

wdm
06-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried tversity and mp11. So far I have'nt been able to connect with the HR20.
My other question about hacks was what you are able to do with the ethenet connection seems limited. You can't upload recorded shows from the HR20 to burn to a DVD's for example.
The HR20 doesn't show up in Network Places? These seem to me like basic features a person would want.

PlainBill
06-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried tversity and mp11. So far I have'nt been able to connect with the HR20.
My other question about hacks was what you are able to do with the ethenet connection seems limited. You can't upload recorded shows from the HR20 to burn to a DVD's for example.
The HR20 doesn't show up in Network Places? These seem to me like basic features a person would want.

I'm sure many of DirecTV's customers would want such a feature. However, DirecTV must also respect the wishes of their program suppliers. I'm sure HBO would be unhappy if anybody with an HR20 could burn copies of the final episode of 'the Sopranos'. Not to mention the reaction from the motion picture industry if high quality bootleg copies of movies could be made by a 10 year old.

PlainBill

wdm
06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
I don't have a VHS anymore but I believe you can copy to one with standard DirecTV software. Also my understanding is that these features are available to TIVO user with other services.

PlainBill
06-29-2007, 12:08 AM
A few points on getting some use out of the ethernet connection. Today I downloaded and installed the latest version of TVersity (0.9.10.5). It worked flawlessly for viewing .jpgs (the picture of my grandson sleeping while half-standing on the floor, half lying on a chair was priceless). I did not try mp3s, but that has also been reported to work well. At this time, streaming video is not available. This is a limitation of the HR20's firmware, not of TVersity.

PlainBill

captain_video
06-29-2007, 07:58 PM
The ability to hack a Tivo vs. the HR20 is what sets Tivos apart from DTV's other offerings. The HR20 also uses Linux but since few people actually own the HR20 (the vast majority are leased), many of them are unwilling to experiment with the HR20 to see what makes it tick. Hoever, if you'd care to purchase one and donate it to some of the senior hackers here I'm sure they'd be glad to take a crack at it.;)

PlainBill
06-30-2007, 02:00 AM
The ability to hack a Tivo vs. the HR20 is what sets Tivos apart from DTV's other offerings. The HR20 also uses Linux but since few people actually own the HR20 (the vast majority are leased), many of them are unwilling to experiment with the HR20 to see what makes it tick. Hoever, if you'd care to purchase one and donate it to some of the senior hackers here I'm sure they'd be glad to take a crack at it.;)

That's an excellent suggestion, and I've already obtained an HR20-700 to start the process. The first step is to fully explore all of the various menu functions, charting the options available with each. I estimate that effort will take several years, even with my wife's assistance. And of course, she insists the job must NOT be left half done.

If this time frame is to long for you, might I suggest you stop by Costco. They are selling the HR20-700 for a paltry $269.95. Since you are not using DirecTV, you can turn it over to the senior hackers, and earn the praise of everyone.

PlainBill

oakwcj
06-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I believe the Costco HR20's have a sticker on the box advising that they are leased.

beljah
07-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Yeah, you'd have to pay ~ $800 to actually own one.

jwciv
07-08-2007, 10:08 AM
I believe the Costco HR20's have a sticker on the box advising that they are leased.

yes they do, I was looking at it yesterday. I wonder if you have to sign up for service in order to buy it?

I'm willing to start a $$ collection and make the purchase...paypal donations anyone?