PDA

View Full Version : Bad distortion with HR20

dburckh
07-05-2007, 11:41 AM
I had an H20 (no R). It had really low quality video from the HDMI port. I was to the point of nearly canceling my service. I've now seen 3 people with HR20s. They all have the same distortion (macro blocking) with HDMI. This occurs even on MPEG2 channels, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to AVC.

I now have an HR10-250 and the quality is much better. Since the signal is the same, I assume it is the unit. Is there a firmware upgrade, or is it better with the component? I have three friends with these things and I would like to help them out.

PlainBill
07-05-2007, 12:13 PM
There have been multiple firmware updates to the HR20. I would suggest checking the setup of the HR20 and the TV. I have an HR20-700 and a Mitsubishi DLP TV. The ***** installer insisted on setting it up incorrectly.

I have seen a problem with macro blocking only once - during last night's 'Macy's Fireworks Spectacular' it occurred several times during extreme closeups of exploding pyrotechnics where virtually all of the screen was changing at the same instant.

PlainBill

dburckh
07-05-2007, 01:15 PM
There have been multiple firmware updates to the HR20. I would suggest checking the setup of the HR20 and the TV. I have an HR20-700 and a Mitsubishi DLP TV. The ***** installer insisted on setting it up incorrectly.

I have seen a problem with macro blocking only once - during last night's 'Macy's Fireworks Spectacular' it occurred several times during extreme closeups of exploding pyrotechnics where virtually all of the screen was changing at the same instant.

PlainBill

I had my H20 hooked up to my 62" 1080p Toshiba at 1080i via HDMI and it was really bad. My biggest complaint was that the football field looked like it was made of out confetti. I know you see a lot of macroblocking around fast action, but this was everywhere there was movement. To me it looks like the video decoder can't keep up or is not "smoothing" the macro block edges. On still images, the H20's look better than my HR10, but ANY motion seem to make them block up. Maybe the HR10 has a better post processor?

Speaking of botched installs. I fixed a friends setup this weekend that only working on SD because the receiver was set to 1080i and the TV only supported 720p. :)

PlainBill
07-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Again, that has not been an issue for me. Football games, auto races, baseball all look superb on my 65" Mitsubishi DLP.

If the problem your friends are having is due to setup issues, it is easy to resolve.

Record a scene that gives pixelization issues. Set the HR20 output to 720I, play the recording back. Note the appearance. Set the HR20 output to 720P, play the recording back, note the appearance. Repeat for 1080I.

PlainBill

dburckh
07-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Again, that has not been an issue for me. Football games, auto races, baseball all look superb on my 65" Mitsubishi DLP.

If the problem your friends are having is due to setup issues, it is easy to resolve.

Record a scene that gives pixelization issues. Set the HR20 output to 720I, play the recording back. Note the appearance. Set the HR20 output to 720P, play the recording back, note the appearance. Repeat for 1080I.

PlainBill

I played with the 720p and 1080i settings with my H10 before I returned it. No difference. It might just be me. I couldn't stand first gen. DVD's due to the poor encodings. If you have the original Matrix DVD, look at the door in the opening scene where the cops try to arrest Trinity. It's Lego-mation. If you compare that with Revenge of the Sith, it's night and day. I seem to have a gift/curse for being able to see macroblocks. Newer players blend them better, but I still see them. :)

Thanks for your help.