PDA

View Full Version : How to use Series 3 with IPTV provider?

mr_zorg
07-17-2007, 06:17 PM
My neighborhood is being upgraded to fiber, and I am considering switching to the digital TV offered by my local fiber provider. As far as I can tell, they are a *true* IPTV provider (which is technically better), they're not simply packing QAM into a fiber frequency like some companies (which works better with the TiVo). They do not offer CableCARD support. The set top box they use is the Amino AmiNET130:

http://www.aminocom.com/products/pdf/AmiNET_130flyer_.pdf

This looks like a very flexible box, but I just don't see how it could be hooked to a Series 3 effectively. I want to ask TiVo directly, but they don't seem to have any e-mail support options, and something tells me phone support won't have the slightest clue what I'm talking about. Anyone have any ideas? Is this possible?

Thanks!

Narf54321
07-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Most of your so-called "real" IPTV provides only one or two streams worth of video. The controller box has to request a "channel change" from the head end, which then begin sending you the requested channel down your single stream.

If you have more than one dual-tuner Tivo, or even more than a couple TVs in the house (i.e. kids, mother-in-law, whatever), you're stuck with whatever the controller-box person wants to watch. Personally, I don't see this as an upgrade in any way.

But regardless, I don't see any way for the S3 to utilize any controller-box type setup (IPTV, Satellite, Moxi, etc). There are no video inputs nor any serial remote control cable connections on the back of the S3 machine.

mr_zorg
07-18-2007, 02:57 AM
Hmm. You're right. I assumed since it was a "stand-alone" TiVo that it had video inputs, but it doesn't... Only RF inputs for tuning from antennas or QAM (or CableCARDs of course). Granted, the set-top box has RF out, but that's obviously not ideal.

According to the materials from our provider, you can have any number of tuner boxes you want in the house, so I'm not sure if bandwidth is an issue here. They offer very high speed connections, up to 50Mbps! That's what I really want. The IPTV thing would be icing on the cake if it worked they way I want it to. :/

I wonder if TiVo will be putting out an IPTV capable box? Seems it's here to stay...

chedlin
09-24-2007, 11:19 AM
I doubt the IP providers will ever cooperate, but the series 3 hardware could do it now. All they have to do is hand you an IP connection via ethernet and allow TiVo to modify their software.

It would take them a very long time, but I can't see TiVo being against this if a standard were produced (as long as the market keeps growing). I doubt anything will be developed to allow this on the provider end, at least not without an FCC mandate and a decade to develop the standard, at which point our Series 3 units will be boat anchors.