PDA

View Full Version : HD Tivo video from AVI hd files.

flagmaster
08-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Has anyone been able to get AVI files that claim to be in HDTV and get them at max audio (5.1) and video (better then dvd, but not really true hdtv) quality, and insert them on your hr10-250?

I have been able to take DVD's, and extract the audio and video streams from them, and re-multiplex them into a TY file, and upload that via msfftp. The results are prefect 5.1 audio, and very good DVD quality (480i, but GOOD 480i).

I can take .TS files in TRUE HDTV and us video redo to break them into elementary steams. Then I can ffmpg them back into a .TY, and get prefect audio (5.1) and true HD video (720p or 1080i).

Its so hard to find ture HDTV video sources for download, but the AVI format is really easy, and while not as good as ture hdtv, its still pretty good.

Has anyone actually taken apart a good high quality AVI file, and put it into an HR-10-250 tivo.

I have seen a few people put them onto non-hd tivos, but thats not what Im looking to do.

Thanks.

bcc
09-20-2007, 04:43 PM
We had a private discussion, and I pointed out that ffmpeg handles HD->ty just fine. For HD source such as xvid that is not mpeg2 you may of course need to transcode using typical ffmpeg options. For example -vcodec mpeg2video -s 1280x1080 -b 10000k, to get you the familiar "HD lite" resolution.

flagmaster
09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
As it turns out, you dont even need to put in the "hd lite" settings. Since the hd tivo can record OTA in full 1920x1080, the chip in there is capable of showing pretty much any res mpeg2 video file in ty format.

I just sent it an oddball res of 960x528 and it worked fine at 4 for output settings on my hdtv.

I have not been able to convert h246 or mkv high def avi's to ty at full res yet, I keep getting stack dumps from ffmpeg.

Im still working on it tho.

So far, for an ac3 5.1 avi in mpeg4, this seems to do well with the hd tivo (hr-10-250).

ffmpeg -i inputfile.avi -acodec copy -vcodec mepg2video -b 10000k outputfilename.ty

be aware that at this bit rate (required for high quality hd or even hr stuff) you will increase the file size by about 75%.

ty is based on mpeg2, and mpeg2 is not as good as mpeg4 for file compression.

bcc
09-20-2007, 05:51 PM
As it turns out, you dont even need to put in the "hd lite" settings. Since the hd tivo can record OTA in full 1920x1080, the chip in there is capable of showing pretty much any res mpeg2 video file in ty format.Right; I was just picking an example resolution, many resolutions work on the hr10-250.
I have not been able to convert h246 or mkv high def avi's to ty at full res yet, I keep getting stack dumps from ffmpeg.I haven't seen such problems but I'm an s3 user these days.
ffmpeg -i inputfile.avi -acodec copy -vcodec mepg2video -b 10000k outputfilename.ty
These examples should probably be added to the ffmpeg support thread's sample scripts (where this thread belongs anyways).

ty is based on mpeg2, and mpeg2 is not as good as mpeg4 for file compression.Version 2 TY is mpeg2, and series 1/2 hardware gives you no other choice.