PDA

View Full Version : Existing DSR7000 user confused about HD...

invader zog
08-29-2007, 01:37 AM
I have a hacked DSR7000. The most important feature for me is the ability to archive off TV shows/movies/etc for later viewing. I'd prefer to keep the flexibility of not needing to watch them from the same device (i.e. I sometimes watch via XBMC on my Xbox) although I could potentially "live without" this feature.

If I ordered the Plus HD-DVR package from DirecTV, I'd need to upgrade to a HD-DVR. I don't think that you have much in terms of options for DirecTV other than their DVR these days (i.e. MPEG4 support) and I think they are selling a HR20-700.

From what I gather, it isn't a Tivo. I'm on my third (hacked) Tivo and am rather brand loyal. This is a big minus, but I'm really getting depressed about watching SD content on my 1080P LCD ...

The Series 3 Tivos still don't support any sort of digital extraction...

What sort of progress has been made on the HR20-700s?

Are we still screwed as consumers?

jt1134
08-29-2007, 01:49 AM
Are we still screwed as consumers?

If you mean screwed as in the sense of not being able to add third-party mods to our hardware, then yeah we're screwed with the HR20. As least at this point in time (publicly anyways, I'm sure someone has "cracked it" in some sense of the word.)

PlainBill
08-29-2007, 12:13 PM
For some people that IS a problem with the HR20. There is one current and one potential solution, however.

Some people opted to ADD an HR20-700 to their existing SD DirecTiVo / HDTV setup. This gives them the option to MRV / extract SD programming. It still has the limitation of not being able to extract HD recordings, of course.

As jt1134 said, the HR20 is not yet publicly hacked. I suspect part of the problem is the frequent software updates for the HR20. IF the software for the HR20 is cracked, it is only a short step to extract recordings. Because of the external SATA connector, the actual transfer of the recordings should be very fast and easy.

PlainBill

invader zog
08-29-2007, 09:48 PM
For some people that IS a problem with the HR20. There is one current and one potential solution, however.

Some people opted to ADD an HR20-700 to their existing SD DirecTiVo / HDTV setup. This gives them the option to MRV / extract SD programming. It still has the limitation of not being able to extract HD recordings, of course.

Thanks for the info. I had considered this as well (although having to pay for two DVRs worth of service is a bummer!). I read a review of the HR20-700 which wasn't that favorable. The gist of it was that the Tivo was a significantly better experience. I'm curious what your opinion is.

PlainBill
08-29-2007, 10:15 PM
There has been a lot of discussion on the HR20, some of it is spot on, other parts are way off base. DocTauri wrote about his experience in this post. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=286012&postcount=15) My opinion is similar to his. Note that many of the shortcomings are software limitations, not hardware. Adding dual live buffer would require updating the software, etc.

The most negative part of my experience was the **** who installed it. For some reason the guy insisted it should be set to display SD programming full width, compressing the the picture vertically. Once I found the proper menu, setting it up MY way was easy.

PlainBill