PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV HDDVR No Cost Swap

rpalermo
09-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, after confirmation from DirecTV's web site of the new HD channel lineup, I finally bit the bullet and called them ready to engage in negotiations to swap my 4 HR10-250 Tivo's and one H10 to the newer HR20-700 and H20. As soon as I got to a CSR, he told me that my five units needed updating and asked me if I would like to swap them, free of charge. So now a installer is on his way over with 4 new HR20-700, 1 new H20, a slimline dish and a new multiswitch at no cost to me. I am bummed about losing the TiVo interface, but to get all the new HD channels on new equipment at no additional cost (I did have to commit to a new 2-year contract), I took the offer, especially since I have no way of knowing when mpeg2 is going to be shut down. I guess I would be considered A list customer due to my long standing relationship with them. I wonder if DirecTV has an unadvertised policy for free swaps that is only a phone call away for many of their customers.

labbie48
09-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah, just went through an upgrade with DirecTV. Told them I wanted to replace my HR10-250 with a HR20-700 for the new HD channels and they told me, "no problem". Asked if they wanted me to return the HR10-250 and was told not to even disconnect it and if I do they don't want it back. So I kept it (for hacking purposes) and the new receiver and dish were installed about a week ago at absolutely no cost to me. Sweet deal.......

slideaway
09-15-2007, 06:35 PM
This may have been answered elsewhere, was an HDMI cable included with the HR20 or do you have to provide that yourself?

SpoonsJTD
09-15-2007, 06:52 PM
rpalermo, if they offer to let you keep the hr10-250's, I'd be interested in buying at least one. PM me if that happens.

stevel
09-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes, the HR20 includes an HDMI cable.

slawolom
11-05-2007, 04:48 PM
I also wanted to upgrade my HR10-250 for a new system and they told me it will be free of charge, so I scheduled installation. When I looked later at my account, thay charged me over $300. :eek: It took me a lot of effort and discussions to finally got my money back. So do not give up:p

stevel
11-05-2007, 08:38 PM
It's a lot harder to get big discounts on the HR20 now than it was a few months ago. I got mine in July and paid $199, but probably could have gone lower if I had pushed.

buellwinkle
11-21-2007, 08:46 PM
So the come and do the swap for free and I keep my old HD Tivo? They told me they want it back. I told them no, I have shows recorded that I haven't watched yet. So I'll try again, maybe a different CSR will be nicer.

Also, what can I do with the old HD Tivo? Is there a way to convert to a standalone Tivo using the OTA tuners? That would be fantastic. How would you get the guide data for the local OTA channels?

stevel
11-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Keep the HR10 running and use the OTA tuners, plus a backup for other channels. Just $4.99 a month. You cannot "convert to a standalone TiVo".

Cranky
12-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm trying to get DTV to swap out my 5 DVR's for HD DVR's but no luck so far. They want me to payy $299 each. I told the rep you've got to be kidding. That'd be $1200. I then told them that Dish would do it for free but that didn't help.

ronnythunder
12-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm trying to get DTV to swap out my 5 DVR's for HD DVR's but no luck so far. They want me to payy $299 each. I told the rep you've got to be kidding. That'd be $1200. I then told them that Dish would do it for free but that didn't help.are you swapping hr10s or sd units? the best deals seem to be for hr10 owners.

ronny

Cranky
12-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Regular DVR units. I was hoping they'd help out a little bit. As everyone knows, once you've gone DVR there's no turning back.

labbie48
12-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Seems like DTV is trying to get as many as the HR10's out of the system as possible. I swapped out my HR10 for a HR20 a few months ago for free but never disconnected the HR10. Haven't been charged for the HR20 yet so in a few months I'll try to swap it out again.

dmaster5150
12-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I bought an HR20-700S on Ebay for cheap and just activated it this last weekend. I have two other HR10-250s and two old SD DTivos so I like Tivo.
This new unit is pure crap. It is slower than anything I have seen before. Changing channels is a chore and the guide is slow too.
I have beefed up my OTA reception so I may finally be leaving DTV after 10 years if there is not something better (faster response) than this POS.
I don't know if Dish or Cable is any better but this POS is slower than the HR10s and I thought those were just barely fast enough.

PlainBill
12-12-2007, 04:13 PM
I bought an HR20-700S on Ebay for cheap and just activated it this last weekend. I have two other HR10-250s and two old SD DTivos so I like Tivo.
This new unit is pure crap. It is slower than anything I have seen before. Changing channels is a chore and the guide is slow too.
I have beefed up my OTA reception so I may finally be leaving DTV after 10 years if there is not something better (faster response) than this POS.
I don't know if Dish or Cable is any better but this POS is slower than the HR10s and I thought those were just barely fast enough.

Hey, since you got it cheap, I'll take it off your hands. Since it's such a POS, (your words), how about $50 plus shipping?

PlainBill

labbie48
12-13-2007, 12:34 AM
I'll give you $60.00 plus shipping. I think it's really a pretty good unit.

dmaster5150
12-13-2007, 05:49 PM
I did not get it for a steal but less than most.

Seriously, you guys really like the response time of this thing? This thing is slower than the HR10-250 unless mine is unique.

ronnythunder
12-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Seriously, you guys really like the response time of this thing? This thing is slower than the HR10-250 unless mine is unique.i've got a hr20-100, and it's definitely faster than my hr10. and i've never had any complaints out of my hr10. so far, the only negative with the hr20 is some of it's ui that i just don't agree with. the stupid picture thing that stays up in the corner all the time during menus; i know a lot of people love that, but i hate it. too easy for spoilers.

ronny

mstbone67a
12-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Ok name your price? How much you want for it.

PlainBill
12-13-2007, 11:40 PM

Seriously, you guys really like the response time of this thing? This thing is slower than the HR10-250 unless mine is unique.
Seriously? My HR20-700 is slightly faster than my HDVR2 and other similar receivers running 6.2 (and significantly faster than the same receivers running 3.1.1e).

Like ronnythunder, there are some parts of the UI I don't like (although the thumbnail in the upper corner is one I do like). On the balance, it's been a very reliable DVR.

PlainBill

VaBeachGuy
12-14-2007, 08:58 AM
I also wanted to upgrade my HR10-250 for a new system and they told me it will be free of charge, so I scheduled installation. When I looked later at my account, thay charged me over $300. :eek: It took me a lot of effort and discussions to finally got my money back. So do not give up:p

You too? That's what they did to me, told me it was "Free" and then charged me for it then refused to refund me.

Total scam. After the holiday I'm going to dispute the charge with my Credit Card company.

Zrullac
12-31-2007, 03:02 PM
I just had the HR21-700 DVR installed by Directv for free. Total out of pocket for me to upgrade all my DirecTV standard equipment to HD was $19.80, not counting the cost of the HD TV. This is a really good DVR/DirectTV receiver. The HD channels are awesome. I watched the Colts/Tenn game last night and didn't see any blurring. I watched the Leafs and NY play the other night and I was amazed at how easy it was to follow the puck. Really had trouble with that with standard tv.

The Guide is definitely different than Tivo's format. I am still trying to figure out how to setup a Favorites channel list. The DVR functions pretty much the same way with some minor differences. Program search is almost identical to Tivo. One function that I will dearly miss is the two tuner record buffer I had with my DirecTivo DVR. I can no longer pause a program on one channel and watch another channel.

The remote is a definite upgrade on the DirecTivo remote. It is very ergonomically designed. All the important buttons are easily reached with the index finger, (or thumb for you knuckle draggers, lol :D) as you hold the remote.

Overall, I am very satisfied so far. I have not experienced any of the lock ups that reportedly occured with the HR20-700 or earlier models.

Cranky
12-31-2007, 05:50 PM
Did you upgrade from from SD DVR or HD DVR to the newer HR21?

If you got the free upgrade from an SD DVR how did you do it?

Zrullac
01-01-2008, 09:02 AM
Did you upgrade from from SD DVR or HD DVR to the newer HR21?

If you got the free upgrade from an SD DVR how did you do it?

I upgraded from a SD DirecTivo DVR and a SD receiver. I bypassed the customer service reps and asked to speak to the customer retention department. I basically told them that I wanted my equipment changed out for free since I had been a customer since 1993. They initially told me I would have to pay $299. I mentioned that Directv was offering new customers exactly what I wanted for free and if they didn't give me the same deal, I would consider going to cable. This horse trading took about 30 minutes but I finally prevailed.

Cranky
01-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Great, thanks, I'll give that a try. I wouldn't mind paying for a couple of DVR's if they'll replace the other three.

BeagleBoy
01-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I had an old Samsung HD receiver (non-DVR), and when I moved last month, D* offered to swap it out for a H20 for free, or an HR20/21 for $99. I took them up on it (and kept my HR10 active).

So it looks like they're automatically offering deals to swap out old hi-def equipment.

alfonzotan
01-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Just an FYI and a bump, I got a no-charge upgrade installed last week. I called the DTV number and kept repeating that we'd been promised a no-cost swap to the MPEG4 units back when they were announced, and the rep at customer support finally agreed.

Of course, I say that before I actually have the bill with the credit in my hands, but...

I kept my thoroughly-hacked HR10-250, it's in the same rack with the HR21-700, and still working fine. I'll hang on to it as long as the MPEG2 HD channels remain active.

CopyCat
01-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Got a call from the DirecTV conversion dept today, after much discussion they are sending me a HR20-xxx to replace my HR10-250 and an installer later in the month to replace the 3LNB dish with a 5LNB dish. Out of pocket, $19.95 shipping and handling fee.

Since I do not have HD locals from DTV I insisted on a HR20 not HR21 they wanted to send and they agreed and also said they were applying for a waiver in my name from the local network channels so they can give me NY & LA HD locals. I doubt the waiver will happen, but will take anything they want to give.

No need to return the HR10-250.

Based on our conversation I will be owning this replacement just as I owned the HR10-250 and will not see a lease charge for it on my monthly bill. I do pay them for service insurance.

labbie48
01-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Trust me, you will NOT own the HR20 and you WILL be paying a monthly lease fee albeit small. DirecT* owns the receiver.....not you regardless of what some CSR told you.

Simba7
01-16-2008, 10:39 PM
..I'll stick with my upgraded Philips DSR704..

I wouldn't mind finding 3 more of these and put them in my server rack and network all 4 together and view them through my Xboxes and workstations.

..unless DTV allows this with their HR20/21, I doubt I'll fully upgrade to HDTV.. Unless I upgrade these to HR10-250's..

Cranky
01-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Still can't get them to swap out my sd-dvr's for hd-dvr's. But when I called the other day to have my service moved at the end of the month, they did say that I could get one hd-dvr for $99.00 because that was the price for new customers. They did lower the price of the hd-dvr's to $199.

I think that I'll stick with my sd-dvr's for the time being. I'm not too impressed with their HD line up just yet. We don't watch sports, except for NASCAR and I don't pay for any premium channels.

alfonzotan
01-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Just an FYI and a bump, I got a no-charge upgrade installed last week. I called the DTV number and kept repeating that we'd been promised a no-cost swap to the MPEG4 units back when they were announced, and the rep at customer support finally agreed.

Of course, I say that before I actually have the bill with the credit in my hands, but...

I kept my thoroughly-hacked HR10-250, it's in the same rack with the HR21-700, and still working fine. I'll hang on to it as long as the MPEG2 HD channels remain active.

As I kind-of feared, I spoke too soon. When my DTV bill arrived, it had a $299 charge for the new box, but no credit. Half an hour on the phone later, the rep claimed she couldn't find any reference in the account to a full credit due. She eventually gave me a $199 credit up front plus a year of free HD ($120 value) and tacked on three months of free HBO as an apology for the hassle.

I guess I'm satisfied with the outcome, but sheesh, you shouldn't have to go through all this, especially after DTV made it a point to swear the HR10-250 purchasers would get a straight-up swap.

Oh, and the installer botched the dish alignment. Channels start dropping out at the first hint of moisture in the atmosphere; I'm meeting a tech this morning to get it fixed...