PDA

View Full Version : Can the HR20's network?

teddy809
09-24-2007, 11:20 PM
I see they have an RJ-45 network jack. What's it for? Can you link multiple units together via a network & share programming? (Like the HMO feature that was never implemented on the DTivo units.)

I'm reacy to dump Dtv & my 3-R10's to build a PC based PVR, utilizing cable. But if the HR20's can interface, I may rethink my strategy.

Will Dtv upgrade my units if I don't have a HD set?

PlainBill
09-25-2007, 12:04 AM
It does network painlessly - just plug it into a router. No MRV on the HR20 at this time, probably never. The equivalent of HMO is alive and kicking; I'm using TVersity as the server.

PlainBill

teddy809
09-25-2007, 12:49 PM
MRV = multi-room -view. That sounds like what I want to accomplish...view content on different receivers/tv's...share content amongst receivers/tv's.

So what's the difference between MRV & HMO?

I currently do not own a HD set, but plan on upgrading soon. Will the tech install HD if I don't have a HD set?

PlainBill
09-25-2007, 01:22 PM
MRV = multi-room -view. That sounds like what I want to accomplish...view content on different receivers/tv's...share content amongst receivers/tv's.

So what's the difference between MRV & HMO?
:rolleyes: One is spelled Aitch Em Oh for Home Media Option; the other is spelled Em Are Vee for Multi Room Viewing. HMO allows you to set up a server to supply pictures and sound recordings; video is to be a future addition.

I currently do not own a HD set, but plan on upgrading soon. Will the tech install HD if I don't have a HD set?

Call 1-800-531-5000 and ask the nice CSR!!! If you don't like the answer, call back and ask another one.

PlainBill

teddy809
09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks PlainBill. Guess I'll stick with my plan to build a PC based PVR utilizing SageTV software. I want functionality like MVR & if Dtv's track record is any indication, they'll never offer it. :(

too hip
09-26-2007, 04:28 PM
The did mention MVR on the last call. See this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=99997&highlight=liberty

Who knows. They might be all talk...

PlainBill
09-27-2007, 12:47 PM
The did mention MVR on the last call. See this thread http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=99997&highlight=liberty

Who knows. They might be all talk...
That IS good news. OF course, it's unlikely that it would be able to share even SD recordings with DirecTiVos.

PlainBill

TheBigDog
10-23-2007, 07:07 PM
It does network painlessly - just plug it into a router. No MRV on the HR20 at this time, probably never. The equivalent of HMO is alive and kicking; I'm using TVersity as the server.

PlainBill

I am contemplating to upgrade for a DTIVO S2 to HR20. HMO / MRV is important to me. It appears though, according to your experience, TVersity works well as a HMO but not MVR. Is it SW / HW limitation of HR20?

TIA

Smee
10-23-2007, 07:48 PM

PlainBill

Hi PlainBill,

I looked up TVersity and it looks neat. Have you also used it to Stream .ty shows? Read some mention on their forums that it should be possible.

Smee

PlainBill
10-24-2007, 12:18 AM
According to the information on their site, TVersity will serve audio, picture and video files. HOWEVER, the receiving device must be able to handle them. At present, the HR20 will not handle video files from TVersity; this is a software limitation. According to some discussion I saw, this function is to be included in 'a future software release'. As far as I know it will be strictly a one-way transfer, TVersity > HR20.

PlainBill

stevel
10-24-2007, 04:08 PM
I can't get the HR20 to recognize MP3 files served by TVersity either. WMP11 is the only thing that has worked for me so far, and then that has some limitations. Have also tried Twonky with the same results.

PlainBill
10-25-2007, 12:23 AM
I can't get the HR20 to recognize MP3 files served by TVersity either. WMP11 is the only thing that has worked for me so far, and then that has some limitations. Have also tried Twonky with the same results.
I am primarily interested in pictures (and video when it becomes available) and had not tried it with mp3 files. It worked fine when I gave it a very limited trial today.

TVersity version 0.9.10.8 running on Win2K with all patches
Wired ethernet connection
Presumably the latest software on the HR20
One mp3 of OTR (Your's Truly, Johnny Dollar).

Note, I got the sound, however the current TV show was displayed on the screen.

PlainBill

VaBeachGuy
10-30-2007, 10:46 PM
I am contemplating to upgrade for a DTIVO S2 to HR20. HMO / MRV is important to me. It appears though, according to your experience, TVersity works well as a HMO but not MVR. Is it SW / HW limitation of HR20?

TIA

Don't do it if you don't "have" to, at least try to keep the DTiVo in your system while adding the HR20.

I've had my 2 HR20's for about 3 months now and really don't like them. One of them did the "Black screen" recording thing to me and I had to reset the drive to get it working again (lost all my recordings).

Eventually though, if you want all the HD channels you'll have to but I'd suggest holding out for as long as you can. TiVo is by far the better system.

PlainBill
10-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Don't do it if you don't "have" to, at least try to keep the DTiVo in your system while adding the HR20.

I've had my 2 HR20's for about 3 months now and really don't like them. One of them did the "Black screen" recording thing to me and I had to reset the drive to get it working again (lost all my recordings).

Eventually though, if you want all the HD channels you'll have to but I'd suggest holding out for as long as you can. TiVo is by far the better system.

On what basis? I've had an HR20-700 for over 9 months without any of the problems you report. I think in that time I've had to reboot the HR20 once and the TV twice. Yes, I miss MRV, but without a second HD system it would be pointless. Frankly, I miss the dual live buffer more, and according to discussion on DBSTalk, that should be added in a few months.

As it is, the HR10 is capable of receiving less than 25% of the HD channels DirecTV carries, and the percentage is getting worse.

PlainBill

VaBeachGuy
11-05-2007, 05:43 AM
I just had my HR20 crap out on me AGAIN... lost several more recordings. What good is having 75% more HD channels when the thing won't let you watch your recordings? From everything I'm reading and my own experience the HR20 is crap.

stevel
11-05-2007, 08:39 PM
I haven't had such problems with my HR20. It's about as reliable as my HR10 for recordings.

VaBeachGuy
11-07-2007, 02:53 AM
I've had DTiVo's for about 4 years and didn't lose a single recording due to hardware issues. I've had HR20's for 2 and a half to 3 months and I've lost at least 10 recordings due to hardware.

Searching the internet reveals that I'm not alone in this either.

PlainBill
11-07-2007, 04:18 PM
I've had DTiVo's for about 4 years and didn't lose a single recording due to hardware issues. I've had HR20's for 2 and a half to 3 months and I've lost at least 10 recordings due to hardware.

Searching the internet reveals that I'm not alone in this either.

That would indicate a manufacturing or materials problem with certain builds of systems. If it was a design problem I would expect everyone to have the problem. The software has been updated several times; I've never had the problem, you've had it through several software updates; that would indicate it's NOT a software problem.

PlainBill

VaBeachGuy
11-09-2007, 08:32 PM
That would indicate a manufacturing or materials problem with certain builds of systems. If it was a design problem I would expect everyone to have the problem. The software has been updated several times; I've never had the problem, you've had it through several software updates; that would indicate it's NOT a software problem.

PlainBill

It remains to be seen if it was software or hardware, I don't hook up phone lines to my machines unless I have to so I hadn't had any updates. I hooked up the phone line several days ago and let it update. I haven't recorded anything yet so I won't know if that solved the problem for a little while.

From what I've read, the problem was that the HR20 recorded the header of the program that it was scheduled to record but not the actual program itself. So when I would try to play it I'd get the "Do you wish to delete this program?" prompt right away. The HR20 said the program was there but it really wasn't.

I had set it to record 2 football games last Sunday (a 7 hour recording), with that recording there I had 75% left unused. When I deleted it I still had 75% space, so it hadn't actually recorded.

If this software update fixes the problem then I'll revise my "HR20 is crap" statement to "HR20 is ok". I still like TiVo better, but that's likely because I had my TiVo's for 4 years and don't really want to change.

VaBeachGuy
11-27-2007, 03:13 AM
Well, the software update didn't fix the problem. This past Sunday I had 4 football games scheduled to record on my 2 HR20's and poof... did it again.

Try to play and I get "Do you want to delete?"

I called DirecTV and the CSR said "Reboot and while it's rebooting I'll do some special stuff and that will get your recordings to work"

Nope, didn't work. He couldn't believe it didn't work. So he says "Fast forward all the way to the end of the show and then push play again"... ummm.. Hello? If I could fast forward to the end of the show I wouldn't be on the phone with you... I push play and it wants to delete. I say no, don't delete and it puts me back at the menu. Push play again and it wants to delete again...

After going around and around he says "You have to delete everything on the DVR and let it start fresh, then you'll be fine". Of course I now explain that I've already done that with one of the 2 HR20's and it's happened AGAIN now.

He says that he has no other solutions for me... then silence.

He then asks me "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" Well wait a minute... you haven't helped me with THIS problem yet!

So he asks "How would you like for em to help?" Well, I want these HR20's replaced... since you told me a few minutes ago that it's only SOME machines doing this and not ALL of them. Give me some that DON'T do it.

Ok, he says. Just a minute.... Then he says "I'm sorry but we're no longer replacing units for this situation, is there anything else I can help you with?"

I coudn't even get a supervisor on the phone!

When they gave me these units the said it was a "free" upgrade... come to find out they charged me $230 (and refuse to refund my money because the 'notes' on my account don't say they were supposed to be free) and now the stupid HR20's don't work right and they WON'T replace them...

Worhtless....

PlainBill
11-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Damn, that sucks. It sounds like you got a real loser for a CSR. I'd suggest talking to retention and see if you can get the attention of someone who cares.

PlainBill

mstbone67a
12-03-2007, 11:35 PM
so since the hr20 does not have mrv.. could a person just leave their directtivo unit R10 on and not subscribed and be able to transfer shows from other rooms to view?

Bedroom---------------------
R10-hacked, MRV

basement-------------------
R10-hacked, MRV

Living room------------------
(thinking of getting the hr20)
HR20 for HD recording in living room. tv input 1

R10 deactivated and no satelite cables connected just networked and video output connected to TV as input 2

Just trying to figure out which HD box to jump to since I now have an HD TV.

PlainBill
12-04-2007, 12:11 AM
so since the hr20 does not have mrv.. could a person just leave their directtivo unit R10 on and not subscribed and be able to transfer shows from other rooms to view?

Bedroom---------------------
R10-hacked, MRV

basement-------------------
R10-hacked, MRV

Living room------------------
(thinking of getting the hr20)
HR20 for HD recording in living room. tv input 1

R10 deactivated and no satelite cables connected just networked and video output connected to TV as input 2

Just trying to figure out which HD box to jump to since I now have an HD TV.

Please don't ask the same question in multiple threads. It tempts us to give different answers in each thread. :mad:

The 'mrv slave' does not have to be subscribed.

IMHO, unless you are going to be satisfied with a handful of HD channels, go with the HR20. The HR21 does not have an ATSC tuner.

PlainBill

mstbone67a
12-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah sorry bout the the dual posting.. I realized there were two similar threads and one matched more what i was asking and realized.. omg I messed up.