PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Upgrade the Hard Drive in an HR20

TimeHorse
10-12-2007, 04:39 PM
This is the place where you will find instructions on extracting video from your HD-20 DirecTV DVR.

Special thanks to PlainBill, RonnyThunder, Stevel and Vurbano for helping create this FAQ.

Version 1.2

----------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that the Hard Drive contains no critical OS files means that upgrading, by replacing or adding drives in the HR20, is relatively simple.

The following recommendations come thanks to PlainBill:

Easy way:

1) Obtain an eSATA drive
2) Unplug power to the HR20
3) Hook up the external drive
4) Power on the external drive
5) Power on the HR20.

Hard way:

1) Obtain an internal SATA drive
3) Open the case
4) Remove the existing drive
[Specifically for the HR21-700]
4.1) Find the ribbon cable that connects the front panel to the mainboard. On the mainboad end, there is a plastic pull-tab on the connector. Gently pull on it to disconnect the cable.
4.2) Disconnect the SATA power and data cables from the old drive.
4.3) Unlatch the tabs holding the front panel onto the chassis and remove the front panel.
4.4) There is an L-shaped metal plate attached to one edge of the hard drive and the mainboard. Using a #2 Philips screwdriver, remove the screw attaching the plate to the mainboard. Leave the screws attached to the drive for now.
4.5) From the front of the unit, remove the two Philips screws securing the drive to the front of the chassis.
4.6) Lift out the old hard drive. Remove the remaining screws on the L-shaped plate
5) Install the new drive
5.1) Reverse the steps in 4.6 to 4.1, remembering to plug in the front panel ribbon cable before continuing.
6) Close the case
7) Plug power back in

For information on how to preserve recording, please read the following post by vurbano...

vurbano
10-15-2007, 03:22 PM
There is currently no way of replacing the Hard Drive in the HR20 unit without loosing your current recordings.
Untrue.

Someone at DBStalk gave instructs on how to replace the hard drive and restore all recordings and "season passes". basically doing a disk copy under linux and then expanding the partition. He upgraded to a larger disk.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=100894&highlight=replace+hard+drive

I received Earl's permission to post this, but with the following prerequisites:

Please take the poll above to show that you are aware of the risks of opening your DVR. Please DO NOT DISCUSS extracting programs from the DVR in this forum. This will NOT be tolerated by the moderators! Okay, here we go!!!

FYI- I have successfully performed this upgrade on 2 HR20's, so this is NOT theory or speculation. It actually works, and I maintained all settings and content from before, plus gained extra space.

First, why did I want to do this?

1) I don't want an external hard drive box on top of or beside my HR-20 making more noise and using more power.

2) I want to retain all of my settings, recording lists, and current recorded shows.

3) The same reason a dogs licks... Well you get the idea, I wanted to do it as a challenge.

Second, What do I need to do this?

1) A T10 Torx screwdriver.

2) A Phillips screwdriver.

3) A computer with SATA interface.

4) Proper software for the computer. You could possibly do this completely with Linux. I didn't. I used Ghost, MBR Tool and Tiny Hexer.

5) A SATA internal hard drive. I used a 1TB Hitachi Deskstar.

6) A pair of snips.

7) Possibly a pair of pliers depending on your unit.

Lastly, let's get to it!

1) Take out the 5 T10 Torx screws from the back of the unit.

2) Note that you are breaking a seal that violates the warranty when you remove the cover.

3) Slide the cover towards the back of the unit and it will come unlatched, then you can remove it.

4) Remove the SATA connector, Power connector and Fan Power connector from the internal hard drive.

5) Find the 2 plastic fasteners that attach the drive mount to the frame. Place your Torx screwdriver in the center of them and push the plastic pin downward. This will release them and they can be removed.

6) Use a phillips screwdriver to remove the ground wire. You can't remove the Torx side unless you have some type of tamper-proof driver, as far as I can tell.

7) Now is the hardest part. I have done this on 2 different HR20's and they were both different. You have to remove the 2 screws holding the drive mount to the front of the unit. On one of mine, their were nuts holding them, so I just removed the nuts with a pair of pliers. That was fairly easy and I didn't have to remove the front panel. On my other unit, they were screwed in from the front, so you have to remove the front panel and unscrew them with your Torx screwdriver. It takes some patience and coodination to remove the front panel. Good luck!

8) You have to snip the tie wrap on the fan power connector in order to remove the hard drive.

9) Remove the hard drive mount (and hard drive) from the unit.

10) You need to install the new drive into the HR20 temporarily and power it up. Let the HR20 format the drive and then shut it back down. This is important because you have to write down the partition information from the new drive.

11) Now is the fun part. Hook your new drive and current internal drive up to a computer with a SATA interface.

12) Next, you have to get the raw parameters from your new disk's MBR. I used a utility called MBR tool, which is free and is bootable media. I used the Edit Partition option in MBR Tool, and wrote down all of the Hex numbers that make up each of the 3 partitions. If someone could post a similar process in Linux, it would be most appreciated. It would be nice to be able to do this whole process in Linux from beginning to end.

13) Next I rebooted the computer and started a bootble media version of Norton Ghost, using the command line "ghost -ia" which tells Ghost to start in a "copy disk sector by sector mode."

14) Go through the Ghost wizard and start the copying process. It took me about 2 hours and 10 minutes to copy the entire 250GB drive.

15) You can also do this in Linux with 'dd', but I found it took much longer. I just used the command 'dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb' but maybe someone knows some other command line switches that can make this faster. It took SEVERAL HOURS!

16) When you have finished copying the disk, you can remove the 250GB original. You are done with it. Remove it from the mount if you haven't already. It is just mounted with some Phillips screws.

17) Next, you have to edit the Raw MBR table on the new disk with a Hex disk editor, in order to tell the HR20 that the disk is bigger. This is where you use the information you gathered earlier. You are going to overwrite the hex data for the 3rd partition in the MBR. This partition is where the HR20 stores recordings. Again, if someone could post a similar process in Linux, it would be helpful. I know there is a package called 'lde', Linux Disk Editor, which should work. However, most people will probably boot up on something like a Fedora Core rescue disk, which I doubt has this package installed.

18) I hooked my Windows drive back up to my PC, booted to Windows, and used a utility called Tiny Hexer to do this. It is a free software that you can use to edit the MBR.

19) When you open the disk with Tiny Hexer and start browsing Sector Zero, which is where your raw MBR is stored on the disk, you'll notice towards the end of the sector, that you'll start seeing the data that you wrote down for the three partitions. If you follow, you'll see the first partition data, followed directly by the second partition data, followed directly by the third partition data. No need to edit the first or second partition data. Mine mine was not exactly the same, I think it differed by a hex value or two but I left it alone. Only change the partition 3 data.

20) When you get to the third partition data, recreate it EXACTLY as you copied it from MBR Tool earlier.

21) Don't forget to write the data back to disk.

22) Now you can mount the new drive and put everything back in the HR20 and fire it up. If everything works okay, you'll have your original settings, recordings, record lists, etc. AND you'll have a heck of a lot more free space showing. Good luck!!!

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: All of this was done on HR20-700's. I don't know how different the process will be using an HR20-100. I also don't know if the whole disk process is any different with an HR20-100. If anyone upgrades an HR20-100, PLEASE POST THE RESULTS!

If you see errors, problems, issues, etc. with this process, please message me and I will edit and make changes. I am also interested in hearing any alternate ways of doing this, or any ways that are easier or will save time.

PlainBill
10-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the updated information.

PlainBill

TimeHorse
10-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Thank for the info Vurbano. I've updated the FAQ to refer to your instructions. If you don't mind maintaining them, I'll let you be the master of that. If you want me to maintain them, I will merge them with the main instructions, above. Anyway, thanks again!

asicguyca
10-18-2007, 05:59 PM
If one should install an external esata drive, is it married to the hr20 forever, or
could it be unplugged and have the hr20 work normally?

ronnythunder
10-18-2007, 06:17 PM
If one should install an external esata drive, is it married to the hr20 forever, or
could it be unplugged and have the hr20 work normally?this is covered at dbstalk also, but in short: the external drive essentially "replaces" the internal drive. when you connect the esata, it disables the internal drive and you start over with a new blank drive (the external). this means you have to re-enter your season links and other settings. however, if you power off the machine, disconnect the esata and reboot, you go back to using the internal drive with no issues.

some find this a flaw, some find it a feature.

ronny

stevel
10-18-2007, 08:39 PM
If you have an HR21-700, removing the hard drive has the following steps once you have the cover off.

1. Find the ribbon cable that connects the front panel to the mainboard. On the mainboad end, there is a plastic pull-tab on the connector. Gently pull on it to disconnect the cable.

2. Disconnect the SATA power and data cables from the old drive.

3. Unlatch the tabs holding the front panel onto the chassis and remove the front panel.

4. There is an L-shaped metal plate attached to one edge of the hard drive and the mainboard. Using a #2 Philips screwdriver, remove the screw attaching the plate to the mainboard. Leave the screws attached to the drive for now.

5. From the front of the unit, remove the two Philips screws securing the drive to the front of the chassis.

6. Lift out the old hard drive. Remove the remaining screws on the L-shaped plate

Reverse process to install new drive. Don't forget to reinsert the front panel ribbon cable.

scgiants
11-20-2007, 12:08 AM
..found answer elsewhere.

ntrance
12-03-2007, 05:18 AM
Untrue.

Someone at DBStalk gave instructs on how to replace the hard drive and restore all recordings and "season passes". basically doing a disk copy under linux and then expanding the partition. He upgraded to a larger disk.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=100894&highlight=replace+hard+drive

The method described in that first post has been shown to cause lockups when the recordings reach the capacity of the original drive. Using a different method I was able to surpass the point at which the lockups were occuring. I let the hr20 format an eSATA drive, and then with both drives in a linux PC I did something like this:
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt1
mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdc3 /dev/sdc2 /mnt2
xfsdump -J - /mnt1 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt2
I haven't been running on this solution for very long but it seems to be working.

JohnnyGP
12-08-2007, 11:59 AM
First and foremost, THANK YOU ALL for being so detailed, especially for e-nit-wits like me. :confused:
Can we use any quality hard drive? I've read to use Seagate DB 35 series as they are made for DVRs and I saw someone used a Hitachi. Will any TB hard drive work dependably? I lean towards Seagate with it's warranty so will any Seagate series work fine?

Thanks again all for really going out of your way to help out.

PlainBill
12-08-2007, 01:40 PM
First and foremost, THANK YOU ALL for being so detailed, especially for e-nit-wits like me. :confused:
Can we use any quality hard drive? I've read to use Seagate DB 35 series as they are made for DVRs and I saw someone used a Hitachi. Will any TB hard drive work dependably? I lean towards Seagate with it's warranty so will any Seagate series work fine?

Thanks again all for really going out of your way to help out.

I like Seagates; others swear by Western Digital. Many swear at Maxtor. Hitichi bought IBM's hard drive division. IBM Deskstar drives were notorious for not working with TiVos.

PlainBill

CopyCat
12-14-2007, 02:10 PM
this is covered at dbstalk also, but in short: the external drive essentially "replaces" the internal drive. when you connect the esata, it disables the internal drive and you start over with a new blank drive (the external). this means you have to re-enter your season links and other settings. however, if you power off the machine, disconnect the esata and reboot, you go back to using the internal drive with no issues.

some find this a flaw, some find it a feature.

ronny

Has anyone tried to move recordings that they had on an external drive to another HR20 by unplugging from HR20-A and plugging into HR20-B and watch the recordings ? Just thinking ahead if we can't move recordings via ethernet, etc.

bigcat400
12-14-2007, 02:38 PM
I thought I'd ask here. Once the original DRV HDD has been replaced, has anyone found a way to use this drive in a non-DVR system such as a Windows PC. Mine is just a paper weight right now. It seems the drive needs a spinup command that only the DVR can send. I contacted WD about a firmware and the said "forget it".

Hard way:

1) Obtain an internal SATA drive
3) Open the case
4) Remove the existing drive
[Specifically for the HR21-700]
4.1) Find the ribbon cable that connects the front panel to the mainboard. On the mainboad end, there is a plastic pull-tab on the connector. Gently pull on it to disconnect the cable.
4.2) Disconnect the SATA power and data cables from the old drive.
4.3) Unlatch the tabs holding the front panel onto the chassis and remove the front panel.
4.4) There is an L-shaped metal plate attached to one edge of the hard drive and the mainboard. Using a #2 Philips screwdriver, remove the screw attaching the plate to the mainboard. Leave the screws attached to the drive for now.
4.5) From the front of the unit, remove the two Philips screws securing the drive to the front of the chassis.
4.6) Lift out the old hard drive. Remove the remaining screws on the L-shaped plate
5) Install the new drive
5.1) Reverse the steps in 4.6 to 4.1, remembering to plug in the front panel ribbon cable before continuing.
6) Close the case
7) Plug power back in

For information on how to preserve recording, please read the following post by vurbano...

ronnythunder
12-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Has anyone tried to move recordings that they had on an external drive to another HR20 by unplugging from HR20-A and plugging into HR20-B and watch the recordings ? Just thinking ahead if we can't move recordings via ethernet, etc.quite a few posts at dbstalk say that this doesn't work. the shows are encrypted and/or otherwise keyed to the box they were created on. pretty obvious why, imho. :)

ronny

PlainBill
12-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I thought I'd ask here. Once the original DRV HDD has been replaced, has anyone found a way to use this drive in a non-DVR system such as a Windows PC. Mine is just a paper weight right now. It seems the drive needs a spinup command that only the DVR can send. I contacted WD about a firmware and the said "forget it".

That doesn't make any sense. It is possible to copy the original HR20 drive to a new drive using a PC running Linux. This requires the drive spinning up.

Remember, Windows will not recognize the partitions on the HR20's drive, but WILL recognize it as having a valid MBR. As a result, Windows fdisk will not modify the drive.

You can test this by downloading the WD diagnostics for the drive; odds are the diagnostics will be able to access it without any problems. When Winblows refuses to access a drive I use a very old copy of Norton's Disk Edit to zero out the first sector of the drive. Now Microflop's fdisk recognizes it as a blank drive.

PlainBill

bigcat400
12-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi PlainBill,

I was following THIS (http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=104605) thread at dbstalk, that's why I thought it has something to do with the drive's firmware. Maybe that isn't the case.

I can't get the drive to power up when connected to the PC. Windows does not see the disk at all. The BIOS just reports a "Hard Drive" connected, but does not report the model or anything. The BIOS raid tool does not see it.

Following that thread, I booted with a gparted live cd and it logs the drive model perfectly, however, there is "failed to spin up drive" error right after detection. It appears some people have managed to spin up the drive with an enclosure connected to the DVR then moved and connected to the PC port without powering down; this is how they have copied the data.

I havent tried the diagnostics tool you mentioned.

That doesn't make any sense. It is possible to copy the original HR20 drive to a new drive using a PC running Linux. This requires the drive spinning up.

Remember, Windows will not recognize the partitions on the HR20's drive, but WILL recognize it as having a valid MBR. As a result, Windows fdisk will not modify the drive.

You can test this by downloading the WD diagnostics for the drive; odds are the diagnostics will be able to access it without any problems. When Winblows refuses to access a drive I use a very old copy of Norton's Disk Edit to zero out the first sector of the drive. Now Microflop's fdisk recognizes it as a blank drive.

PlainBill

bigcat400
12-15-2007, 09:37 PM
You were right. There is no such special spin up command. Got the drive going with WD tools, zeroed it out with the same tool and I am using it in Windows now.

Thanks for the help.

PlainBill

bigcat400
12-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Spoke too soon. Powered off, powered on, drive is gone. I won't consider booting with a WD floppy all the time, so I guess no hope now.:)

You were right. There is no such special spin up command. Got the drive going with WD tools, zeroed it out with the same tool and I am using it in Windows now.

Thanks for the help.

PlainBill
12-15-2007, 11:33 PM
I'd bet a quarter (now worth about $.15) that this is a settable parameter, either by jumper, or from a tools cd.

PlainBill

ntrance
12-16-2007, 02:01 AM
I'd bet a quarter (now worth about $.15) that this is a settable parameter, either by jumper, or from a tools cd.

PlainBill
The jumpers have no effect on this issue. I have not tried a tools CD though.

bigcat400
12-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Possibly.

One more thing.... My system detects and accesses the drive fine only when booting with the BIOS SATA Config option set to IDE.

The other two choices, AHCI and RAID cause the drive to go undetected, even by the WD tools. I have a P5K ASUS board w/ 6 SATA ports. I believe AHCI is to run independendent SATA drives (typical config). I use RAID because I have an array setup with 2 of 4 drives I have connected. The non-raid drives work normally as indepedent drives.

As per the board's manual, the IDE mode is to run SATA drives in a PATA configuration, requiring master/slave setup. I don't know why anyone would want to use this option with SATA drives; however, it is the only one that gets this drive going.

I tried all jumper settings without luck. Perhaps the drive is permanently jumpered for a configuration compatible with the IDE setup I described above. :confused:

PlainBill

JoeSchmuckatell
12-24-2007, 11:07 AM
I have not seen a comment (yet) that specifies if the internal hard drive stops spinning if an eSATA drive is used. I now have an HR21-700 and it's okay, nothing like my DTiVo units (I miss them) but I'm thinking about an external upgrade but I would like to know if the internal drive shuts down.

I don't have a problem with opening the case and disconnecting the drive but replacing the drive on this unit seems to be more involved than normal. To be honest, it being a new unit I'd rather not mess with it for a few more months.

Thanks,
Joe

ntrance
12-24-2007, 04:25 PM
The internal drive does not stop spinning if eSATA is used. The post linked below states that disconnecting the drive disables the temperature monitor for the unit:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1219178#post1219178
I verified this by checking the temperature after unplugging the internal drive and it was 32F, whereas it was 89F before doing so.

JoeSchmuckatell
12-25-2007, 02:47 PM
The internal drive does not stop spinning if eSATA is used. The post linked below states that disconnecting the drive disables the temperature monitor for the unit:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1219178#post1219178
I verified this by checking the temperature after unplugging the internal drive and it was 32F, whereas it was 89F before doing so.

Thanks, I read just that thread and will be making a post there.

Joe

ntrance
12-25-2007, 04:16 PM
You're welcome. As I stated above though, it does not spin down. I verified this on mine.

JoeSchmuckatell
12-28-2007, 10:33 AM
You're welcome. As I stated above though, it does not spin down. I verified this on mine.

Thanks for the info. I haven't opened my unit yet. Still looking at an external drive. I need to look into the 750 FAP. I have not done much reading on this at all so more to come. From what I understand it does not play well with the HR21-700 but I need to find out if that is only using the case mounted eSATA connector (on the FAP) or if someone has tried to connect the drive within the FAP directly to the HR21-700, assuming the internal drive is a SATA drive. Again, I need to do more research about the FAP product and if it's a SATA drive, has someone tried what I'm suggesting.

Again, Thanks,
Joe

captainjrl
12-28-2007, 01:08 PM
I have tried the FAP with an HR21 and it did not work. However removing the drive from the FAP and putting it in an Antec MX1 external enclosure solved the problem. So my assumption is that it is the FAP's eSATA controller that is the issue with the HR21.

JoeSchmuckatell
12-28-2007, 08:20 PM
I have tried the FAP with an HR21 and it did not work. However removing the drive from the FAP and putting it in an Antec MX1 external enclosure solved the problem. So my assumption is that it is the FAP's eSATA controller that is the issue with the HR21.

So the internal drive is a SATA drive? Can you state the drive model number? A 750GB Seagate DB35.3 drive costs ~$230.00, the FAP comes with a powered enclosure and is roughly the same price.

Thanks,
Joe

captainjrl
12-29-2007, 06:20 PM
So the internal drive is a SATA drive? Can you state the drive model number? A 750GB Seagate DB35.3 drive costs ~$230.00, the FAP comes with a powered enclosure and is roughly the same price.

Thanks,
Joe

The internal drive of the FAP is definitely a SATA drive. I was able to look up the model number on Seagate website. The exact info on the drive is not readily accessible to me (its inside the other enclosure I bought), but it was a current model of Seagate SATA HDs.

grundy2
02-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Can you use an external USB drive or does it have to be eSATA?

JoeSchmuckatell
02-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Can you use an external USB drive or does it have to be eSATA?

Must be a SATA drive. I have a SATA drive and an external power supply and data cable, works like a champ but it's not case mounted. I'll be purchasing a case some day because leaving a drive out in the open running is an accident waiting to happen. But I was just testing to see if my drive and data cable would work, it does.

Also, read the threads, not all eSATA drives are created equal and some just don't work well.

Joe

stevel
02-19-2008, 07:28 PM
[Please Ignore]

CasaDelGato
05-13-2008, 12:34 AM
I just upgraded my HR21-100 to a 1GB HD. (A WD10EACS )
Replacing the drive was just a little different (and easier) than the instructions I've seen posted here.
Note: Your Favorites and Recording Schedule are on the HD, so when you replace it, you have to recreate both of those.
All the screws are SECURITY Torx, so a normal torx bit won't work. (Security torx have the little pin in the middle.)

1) Unplug everything (duh!)
2) Remove cover. Screws on back, then just slide cover back a little and lift it off. (Just for the heck of it, before I removed the cover, I used a razor blade to carefully peel back the warranty foil sticker so it isn't broken.)
3) Unplug cables from HD. (slide the little metal latch plate on each plug to release it.)
4) The HD is mounted to a plastic frame. There are 4 screws holding the frame in. 2 on the top front edge through the front cover, and 2 at the back bottom holding it down to the PC board. Remove all 4 screws.
5) There is a little black wire hooked around the plastic frame, carefully move it out of the hooks on the frame.
6) Slide out the plastic barrier that extends to the back of the case.
7) Left the back of the frame up to clear things on the circuit board, then tilt/slide it to get the fan out from under the front cover. Then you can slide it all further to the left to get the other front corner out from under the front cover.
8) The drive is held in by 4 screws from the bottom of the frame.
9) Replace the drive.
10) Reverse order the steps to put it all back together.

jt1134
05-13-2008, 12:58 AM
I just upgraded my HR21-100 to a 1GB HD. (A WD10EACS ).

Wow! A whole GB!

JoeSchmuckatell
05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
I just upgraded my HR21-100 to a 1GB HD. (A WD10EACS )
Replacing the drive was just a little different (and easier) than the instructions I've seen posted here.

I know you meant 1TB, but do you have all the hard drive available?

-Joe

CasaDelGato
05-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Of course I meant 1TB. (which kind of boggles my mind, as my first HD was 10MB - and I was happy to have such a huge amount of storage!)

Anyway, as far as I can tell, all the space is there. I've made a few recordings, and there was still 99% available.
We won't know for sure until the drive starts getting full.

badzy
06-05-2008, 06:44 PM
nice info!
thanks for shraring

wdm
06-17-2008, 08:52 PM
I just purchased a WD My Book 1 TB drive. Has anyone used this drive with a HR 20?
Second question, this drive uses a eSata connection. Is the connection on the HR 20 a eSata or just Sata. I'm not sure what the diffence is but I'm having trouble finding an external cable and don't want to get the wrong one.
Thanks for any help.
Bill

stevel
06-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Lots of discussion of use of external drives at dbstalk.com. The connection is eSATA and you want one that is "eSATA 2.0" otherwise the connector may not seat firmly. The physical connector is slightly different than a normal SATA connector.

wdm
06-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Can't get the WD 1TB to be recognizes by the HR20. Have checked the connection and powered the dvr off an on several times.
Any suggestions?

wdm
06-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I've tried 2 different cables and also put the Western Digital drive on a second R20 without it working. I'm returning it and will try a differnt drive.

wdm
06-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Installed Acomdata 1TB drive and it works great.

Smooth1
07-14-2008, 08:13 PM
ok well I'm in the same boat here. I have a brand new hr20 and want to put in a wd1001FALS and just want to know if anyone have done this or if anyone knows if it will work. I think from reading I just open up the case and remove the drive and put this one in. is it really just that easy?

Thanks

PlainBill
07-14-2008, 09:23 PM
ok well I'm in the same boat here. I have a brand new hr20 and want to put in a wd1001FALS and just want to know if anyone have done this or if anyone knows if it will work. I think from reading I just open up the case and remove the drive and put this one in. is it really just that easy?

Thanks

I haven't gotten approval to do this yet, but I understand that with a few caveats it's just that simple.

The drive is more firmly embedded in place than is usually the case.

Some drives may work better than others.

Unless you copy the contents of the old drive to the new you will loose your exiting recordings, season passes, etc.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, more discussion is available on dbstalk.

PlainBill

Smooth1
07-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Ok well all went very well and very easy. I used a T9 screw driver and did not take as mush apart as stated above. You can take the whole hard drive and fan out and pop the fan out and the screws are right there to remove the hard drive. Does anyone know how to display the number of hours I can now record?

stevel
07-17-2008, 11:31 AM
There is no single number for hours, as it depends on the program. But there is a space used display at the bottom of the recorded programs list.

Smooth1
07-17-2008, 11:57 AM
So there is no real way to know if my new hard drive can be used up to the new space. How do you know other then I put in the new drive and can record show?

PlainBill
07-18-2008, 11:14 AM
So there is no real way to know if my new hard drive can be used up to the new space. How do you know other then I put in the new drive and can record show?

Three ways: Bring up the list of recordings. There is a 'gas gauge' which shows the % of drive space available. If it indicates less than 50% of the drive is used you can surmise that the full capacity is available.

Compare the 'gas gauge' on original and new drives.

Trust. Many people have hooked up larger drives and reported using the increased capacity. You are special, but not so special that DirecTV would deliberately sabotage your attempt to gain more recording capacity.

PlainBill

ntrance
09-15-2008, 01:35 AM
Possibly.

One more thing.... My system detects and accesses the drive fine only when booting with the BIOS SATA Config option set to IDE.

It appears that linux kernel 2.6.24 can deal with the "power-up in standby" feature of this WD3200AVBS drive, as I spin-up and access the drive with two different live CDs using this kernel:
gparted-live-0.3.7-7.iso
ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso

I may be possible to disable the feature using hdparm or http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=136732&package_id=226068 but I didn't want to mess with my drive.

plazakiya
12-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I like Seagates; others swear by Western Digital. Many swear at Maxtor. Hitichi bought IBM's hard drive division. IBM Deskstar drives were notorious for not working with TiVos.

PlainBill
Hi, I wanted to buy my husband (who has a DirecTV HR-20) a 2TB external drive for extra storage and backup for xmas, and I have read that the Seagates AND the Western Digital don't often work, like they're not recognized by the HR-20. They're a lot and I don't want to muck it up, do you have any suggestions on any particular brands that will definatly work with the HR-20?

ntrance
12-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Hi, I wanted to buy my husband (who has a DirecTV HR-20) a 2TB external drive for extra storage and backup for xmas, and I have read that the Seagates AND the Western Digital don't often work, like they're not recognized by the HR-20. They're a lot and I don't want to muck it up, do you have any suggestions on any particular brands that will definatly work with the HR-20?

An HR-20 is a lot less picky than a HR-21, so that's good for you. As far as I know there isn't a problem with any of the actual bare drives from Seagate or WD, but it is the enclosure used that causes the problems. Since you want 2TB, you are adding an additional level of complexity because you will need to find a raid enclosure that works. If 1.5TB were acceptable, you could probably could use an enclosure containing single Seagate drive.

Here's a good summary of your options:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=142735
Here's a thread dedicated to known working solutions, but it is quite long:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=92029

Smooth1
12-14-2008, 01:51 AM
ok so I had a 1.5 seagate in my hr20 for months with no problem. It seem like since the last upgrade I have been having lock ups while watching a program recorded. the program will just stop in the middle and ask me to delete, but if I reboot the unit sometimes I can watch the whole thing. I cant seem to tell from reading if this is a bad harddrive, or a upgrade problem. any thoughts?

kemac
12-14-2008, 01:57 AM
make sure you have the latest firmware update just released by Seagate on your drive.

Smooth1
12-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Ok I can try that. Can I update the firmware with data on it? Also does anyone know, do you leave the jumper on or take it off for 3.0 speed?

septicdeath
01-25-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm just starting my search, so I may find more info, however the boolean I choose at google didnt show me much, I upgraded all of our hr20's and hr21's in the house to new internal disks, I actually took the HR21-700 (I only own 1) and removed its 500gig hard drive and replaced it with a 1.0 TB hard drive. (I sucessfully moved the 500gb contents to the 1000gb drive using the posted methods, really not a issue). I used MHDD to modfify the require spin up command command since its a simply one command using low lever hard drive tools. I then took the 500gb and put them in the older hr20's (stock 300gb, but 200 more gigs is 200 more gigs).

Anyways, here is the million dollar question, the responsivness of the 1tb hr21-700 has steadily declined. Deleting individual programs from within program folders can take 5 minutes, then after the delete, scrolling through the list of saved programs can take 3 minutes per page, you can watch the screen start to scroll the list and wobble into slow motion and delay as the remainder of the lower portion of the list becomes the top.

I noticed that after deleting if, you don't do anything for 2-3 minutes (maybe its re-cataloging what remains) that you get the responsiveness back. The weird part, is its happening only 75% of the time. While it *IS* messing up, I've tried removing records up near the "just recorded (same day)" as well as the oldest in the listing to see if there is any change depending on new or old (assuming different locations on the hard drive). No difference, I've tried deleting entire groups (4-5 episodes per folder) and the delete time for the whole folder is about the same as an individual show. The hr21-700 1TB currently has 19% remaining due to my hours spent testing. The unit's delete feature has gotten so bad, we just don't delete, when it got down to 0% and started auto deleting, it seemed the system did a better job of auto deleting, it at least saved the frustration of sitting looking at the -list- of your recordings while it is non responsive for 3-4 minutes.

The deleting is the easiest to talk about, but choosing the guide 25% of the time gives you the small active tv window up in the upper right (with channel viewable) but the guide area is solid blue with no text on it, until 2 minutes or so when the guide finally shows up, also when scrolling through the guide, it seems if you hit down/up twice, it tends to hang, rather than if you were to hit it once, watch it scroll, then hit it again. Double down and it takes 45 seconds to move, down once, it can take 3-5 seconds and then another when you hit it again, it seems as you scroll maybe 8-9 or up/downs that it then hangs (almost like its queuing up the next 6-7 screens of data) at which time you can again scroll 4-6 screens before it hangs up again. Very weird..

choosing to navigate into a folder of items (freinds fof instance), you can see it move in, and display just about everything it should, *EXCEPT* it hangs up getting the info about the show when you choose select on a individual choice, the play/keep/delete/rec. series left handed menu displays quickly, but the whole info box to the right witht he first aired, run time, episode recorded time, etc, etc can take mnutes to populate, hit back, choose another episode and everything fills on select.

in a nutshell, it seems like the unit gets lost, almost like its having to recatalog its items list after a delete, or when trying to scroll multiple pages at a go, its responsive up to a point, and when it hangs, if you can have 5 minutes of patience (like its catching up)

Im in the process of deleting older stuff now to see if responsiveness gets better as more free space becomes available. Im also trying to work it closer to 52-53% free space so that I can move the data back from the 1 TB disk to the original 500 gb disk, thinking that maybe I can put the 1tb drive in a computer and replace it with a diffrent brand external esata and connect it via external sata. I believe the 1 TB disk was a samsung which I always ranked higher than the firmware problematic Seagate's on the market, but thats just my opinion, its obviously not working great here.

I would expect if my issues were happening to others, I would get hits on my google searches, here, and at dbs talk, but I'm just not seeing these issues all over the place, anyone got any idea's, Im all ears, non of my 4 hr-20's (1 with the hr21-700's disk, 2 with segate internal 500gb drives, with Seagate 750gb internal) seem to be having any issues, but at the same time, non of the other units are abused like this unit, most record 1 to 2 things on season passes, but this hr21-700 with 1tb drive spends more than 12 hours a day recording on at least 2 days of the week.

Thanks in advance, I'll probably copy and paste this on a few other dbs/dvr sites.

Too bad, the HDDVR doesn't have disk tools on a hidden menu, like a defrag, etc, etc, sure that couldn't hurt..

PlainBill
01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
<SNIP>
Anyways, here is the million dollar question, the responsivness of the 1tb hr21-700 has steadily declined. <SNIP>

I'd check the forums at dbstalk (http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php). There is much more activity with the HR2x DVS there. Maybe someone has suggestions.

PlainBill

kemac
01-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I would take the drive out and run Spinrite on it, sounds like it could be a failing drive. If you dont have Spinrite or dont want to spend the money at least run the mfg diags on it.

kemac
01-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Ok I can try that. Can I update the firmware with data on it? Also does anyone know, do you leave the jumper on or take it off for 3.0 speed?

Sorry for the late reply, the update can be applied with data. I usually leave the jumpers alone assuming they are sent with the jumbers properly set for the best performance. Did you get around to applying the firmware update?

pheroy
09-23-2009, 12:36 PM
It appears that linux kernel 2.6.24 can deal with the "power-up in standby" feature of this WD3200AVBS drive, as I spin-up and access the drive with two different live CDs using this kernel:
gparted-live-0.3.7-7.iso
ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso

I may be possible to disable the feature using hdparm or http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=136732&package_id=226068 but I didn't want to mess with my drive.

I'm replying to this old thread because I'm trying the upgrade an HR20 and having a similar issue. (The thread over at dbstalk about this procedure is closed so I can't reply there. And I don't find anything that matches Stuart Sweet's reference to a new thread being done in the Information Resources sub-forum.) I've removed the original HD from the HR20 and attached it plus a new drive to a PC, and it isn't showing up in the BIOS. I downloaded iso for GParted Live 0.4.6-1, and it won't boot from CD with the original HD connected. When I disconnect the HD, it boots up.

Reading the thread here and at dbstalk, I don't see any references to having to do anything to the original drive to see it, other than running Gparted Live version 0.3.7-7 or newer, which I am.

The PC I'm using is a DIY build, based on a DFI NF4 SLI Infinity mainboard, AMD 4200 X2 CPU. Could there be a chipset compatibility issue?

PlainBill
09-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm replying to this old thread because I'm trying the upgrade an HR20 and having a similar issue. (The thread over at dbstalk about this procedure is closed so I can't reply there. And I don't find anything that matches Stuart Sweet's reference to a new thread being done in the Information Resources sub-forum.) I've removed the original HD from the HR20 and attached it plus a new drive to a PC, and it isn't showing up in the BIOS. I downloaded iso for GParted Live 0.4.6-1, and it won't boot from CD with the original HD connected. When I disconnect the HD, it boots up.

Reading the thread here and at dbstalk, I don't see any references to having to do anything to the original drive to see it, other than running Gparted Live version 0.3.7-7 or newer, which I am.

The PC I'm using is a DIY build, based on a DFI NF4 SLI Infinity mainboard, AMD 4200 X2 CPU. Could there be a chipset compatibility issue?

I see two possible causes. The trivial problem is making sure the SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS. If that has been done, the most likely explanation is a motherboard chipset that is not fully supported by the linux kernel. I did this upgrade over a year ago with a comparatively ancient Soyo motherboard and (IIRC) 1.4 Ghz AMD cpu. It went well. The only problem was killing the power to the DVR at the appropriate time.

PlainBill

pheroy
09-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the quick response, PlainBill.

As it turns out, I just tried a simple swap of the SATA cables, and now GParted is booting and I can see both drives. I still can't see the original HD in the BIOS though, which seems really odd. Hopefully the rest of this goes a little more smoothly.

ntrance
09-23-2009, 11:57 PM
If you reboot the computer after gparted has spun-up the drive, your bios should see it, but it is not necessary for the procedure. Good luck with the rest of your upgrade. Here is the new thread over a dbstalk in case you were still interrested:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148760

pheroy
09-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the link, ntrance.

So it took a bit of futzing (the new HD was pulled from a Windows box and I had to re-partition it with GParted before the HR20 seemed to even want to acknowledge it, though in retrospect it's possible that was unnecessary and I was just impatient with the HR20), but I got the drives set for the copy. (As in, each HD was pulled from the HR20 after doing the s/w reset, pulling the power cord just as the LEDs go out.) But when I started the xfsdump command as specified, it took a whopping 8 seconds to run. My original HD is not full, but it should certainly have taken longer than that. I was very, very careful to make sure I had the correct drives as "sda" and "sdb", with the partitions # 2 & 3 of each mounted as "fap" and "hr20" respectively - 100% confidence about that. I double and triple checked in the GParted window. But looking at the following command from the instructions:

xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap

That just looks backward to me. "fap" is the mounted original HD, and "hr20" is the mounted new HD. Isn't this attempting to dump the new and restore it to the old, which is the opposite of what's desired?

pheroy
09-24-2009, 01:15 AM
Oh, fudge. After re-re-re-reading the directions, I realize that I somehow glossed over that "sda" is the NEW HD, and "sdb" is the OLD HD. :eek:

Guess I'll get to find out shortly if dumping an empty filesystem actually erased the original HD.

[Edit: looks like it is going to work, the dump size is 211 MB. Nice... and I am definitely glad I tried this technique on this older HR20 which I'm really using as a secondary unit now, before doing it on my main HR21. Really just one archived recording that I'd hate to lose.]

ntrance
09-24-2009, 05:00 AM
Guess I'll get to find out shortly if dumping an empty filesystem actually erased the original HD.
I'm curious to know what the answer to this is. My belief is that the original drive is not erased.

pheroy
09-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm curious to know what the answer to this is. My belief is that the original drive is not erased.

And you would be correct. Everything is there, except for my favorite channels setup (which might have been reset by DTV recently - I can't verify that now, but I have seen a couple of s/w upgrades recently). Recorded shows, recording subscriptions, prioritizer, everything else seems to be there.

Now, if there was anything at all on the new drive, maybe that would not be the case. It worked, and it was a nice little learning experience - so now it's on to the 1.5 TB drive for the HR21 in my main HT room. :D

ntrance
09-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Now, if there was anything at all on the new drive, maybe that would not be the case. It worked, and it was a nice little learning experience - so now it's on to the 1.5 TB drive for the HR21 in my main HT room. :D
I confirmed that it would work even if there were recordings on both drives. The playlists from both drives would be merged and all recordings would be playable.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2229477#post2229477

airjrdn
05-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I wanted to chime in with something I just did.

I had a 1TB eSATA Calvary with about 90 or so tv episodes on it hooked to an owned HR20. I opened the HR20 & the external up, and replaced the internal 320G with the 1TB that was in the Calvary. Everything seems to be working as you'd expect, complete w/the existing recordings. I'll report back if any issues crop up.

az-twin
06-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Hey guys, I'm a noob here. Put a new Seagate 1TB drive in my HR20-100S. I get an error that says " A problem has been deteted in the storage device.

This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault. Please reboot the box now. that may fix this problem. If that does not work, please call customer service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostics code: 14-736.

Wondering if I got a bad drive or this is not as easy as just swapping the drive. All I did was pull out the old drive and put in the new one. I put the old drive back in and it worked fine.

Any tips for a struggling noob?

Thanks!

Rob Swartz, Sierra Vista, AZ

PlainBill
06-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Hey guys, I'm a noob here. Put a new Seagate 1TB drive in my HR20-100S. I get an error that says " A problem has been deteted in the storage device.

This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault. Please reboot the box now. that may fix this problem. If that does not work, please call customer service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostics code: 14-736.

Wondering if I got a bad drive or this is not as easy as just swapping the drive. All I did was pull out the old drive and put in the new one. I put the old drive back in and it worked fine.

Any tips for a struggling noob?

Thanks!

Rob Swartz, Sierra Vista, AZ
It SHOULD work. Although I copied the contents of the original drive to the new drive, the first step of the process is to initialize the new drive in the DirecTv DVR just like you did. My only suggestions would be to test the new drive in a PC, recheck the cables, and also make sure any transfer speed jumper is set properly. If those steps check out, you have a bad drive

PlainBill