PDA

View Full Version : stealing tivo service the legal way

rico16135
11-04-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm not asking about stealing the "Tivo" service. I'm asking if anyone out there has an info on using a 3rd party's own service with the "Tivo" hardware I bought and OWN. Its mine and I"ll do what I want with it. I'm looking for some sort of way to install freevo or mythtv onto the dvr. Like I said I"m interested in using my own service with my hardware.

oh and don't bother telling me to go buy a standalone unit. cuz i already bought this. And what I'm talking about is not illegal, so keep your powertrip to yourself. (Just because u buy a windows computer doesn't mean u have to keep running windows on that computer)

rico16135
11-04-2007, 01:54 AM
oh or possibly Linux media center.

ciper
11-04-2007, 02:08 AM
Tivo sold you the system at a loss with the expectation that you would subscribe for service. Its similar to a cell phone. If you get a brand new phone for 50$ the manufacturer/provider will lose money if you unlocked it and used it on another network.

It is possible to do what you say BUT getting the guide data in a format that will work is a lot of work. There is no easy way to get all of it without a large group of dedicated volunteers. This is how Tivo works in some countries where it was never sold.

VaBeachGuy
11-04-2007, 03:31 AM
stealing tivo service the legal way

There is no legal way to steal something.

That said, if you find a way to make a different software package work with the TiVo hardware I'd be interested. Of course the software package would have to operate completely independent of the "TiVo system" which would make it no longer a TiVo, because it's really the software that makes a TiVo a TiVo. The hardware is just a dumbed down computer.

I think it might be easier to just make a home brew DVD.

rico161351
11-04-2007, 03:50 AM
Tivo didn't sell me anything, I bought it at a garage sale. Probably another sick and tired customer. And it makes little difference to me what they expect. Personally I'd expect a company using linux on it hardware to adhere to the gpl, instead of finding loopholes. Well this is going to be my loophole. I signed nothing with them, its my hardware. I won't use their software. Even tho they broke that same code.

and i guess stealing tivo the legal way is not stealing at all. Go figure.

oh and funny how i already got banned on here. its ok i can make as many accounts as needed. i guess the mods have tivo corp so far up their ass they spitting it out

ciper
11-04-2007, 03:59 AM
Rico151351 : If either of your grandmothers is still alive I suggest you ask them the meaning of "you catch a lot more flies with sugar than with vinegar."

Obviously members of this forum enjoy the Tivo hardware/software/service. Creating a subject that mentions stealing from Tivo isn't going to get a positive response.

Perhaps you should sign up with a totally different name and ask "how can I get my own distribution of linux running on the Tivo?"

rc3105
11-04-2007, 04:07 AM
The hardware is just a dumbed down computer.

yep, a goofy lil *nix box with halfway decent AV specs

*amazing how those same capabilities were big bucks not that long ago...

oh and funny how i already got banned on here.
one of the mods musta been awake at just the right time

spend some time with the search feature instead of insulting the mods you'll find the sw/methods you're looking for already here, even though that's not what this forum is about

its ok i can make as many accounts as needed.
nothing better to do? ouch...

rico15136
11-04-2007, 04:18 AM
that's funny, cuz i did a search for sw/methods? can u elaborate, because that brings up nothing.. oh except this thread. And my distaste for the mods comes from searching and having to read them coming down on people for the same kinds of questions i'm asking. oh and my grandma said use a fly swatter.

Narf54321
11-04-2007, 09:44 AM
There's a couple of problems in running a more generic linux system on TiVo hardware.

First is the signed boot kernel, requiring hardware modification. This alone limits the possible audience.

Then there is the supply for 'free' guide data, which even the MythTV folks have been grappling.

I've heard of MythTiVo, but I don't think its complete enough to use.

mbellot
11-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Tivo didn't sell me anything, I bought it at a garage sale. Probably another sick and tired customer. And it makes little difference to me what they expect.

I agree, thats why I bought a Series 1 (off fleabay). Works just fine without Tivo Service except I get no guide info. Not a big deal, I learned how to read a TV Guide over 40 years ago.

Like I said I"m interested in using my own service with my hardware.

I signed nothing with them, its my hardware. I won't use their software. Even tho they broke that same code.

Different issues here. In your first post you're looking for an alternate method to get guide data. The second post seems like you're willing to scrap everything on the HD and start fresh.

I'm sure some of the die hards here would say the first is "illegal" since you're still using Tivo software on the machine. Personally, I'm with you on this one. They can sell the hardware for whatever they want "expecting" money to fall from the skies if thats their corporate model.

The second option (ditching the Tivo code completely) should alleviate any such concerns of "illegal" use, but there are several problems. Tivo is not required to GPL any of the software they have developed completely on their own (such as the AV drivers and tivoapp itself), so turning a Tivo into a generic DVR is no small task.

oh and funny how i already got banned on here. its ok i can make as many accounts as needed. i guess the mods have tivo corp so far up their ass they spitting it out

Many of the people here (not just the mods) have a very unhealthy love of their Tivos, and TivoCorp as as result. Anything that even hints of causing them financial harm is generally deemed "theft of service" and squashed.

But you know what? Its their forum. You don't like the rules (or are at least willing to play by them) they are free to ban you. Start your own forum and see how far you get.

Last I checked (several years ago), the Aussies and Canucks both had "solutions" for making Tivo guide info with a PC. I did some reading and came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the extraordinary hassle. You may want to broaden your horizons to Google instead of just pissing off the regulars at DDB.

VaBeachGuy
11-05-2007, 04:40 AM
Rico151351 : ... ask them the meaning of "you catch a lot more flies with sugar than with vinegar."

LOL I thought the same thing when I initially read the post. It's like walking into someone's house, slapping their wife in the face and then asking to use the bathroom and then asking "what's for dinner?"