PDA

View Full Version : Unusable old drive when upgrading. What to do with replaced drive? Can I unlock it?

davel
11-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I have done 2 different drive upgrades on my Hr-20's only to find that the 320GB drive that was in them is totally unusable. It does not detect in the boot up of the computer (the newly replaced and hr-20 formatted drive does) nor is it able to be formatted (obviously since it is not detected) Has anyone had any luck using the 320 gig brick that comes out of the hr-20? Ideally I would like to format it and use it for additional storage.

PlainBill
11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Something's missing. One of the recent threads in this sub-forum has directions for upgrading a hard drive while retaining recordings. This involves copying the old drive to the new, larger drive using a pc and the linux dd command. Therefore the pc MUST recognize the original drive.

Windows may not recognize the partition table and will refuse to change it. The quick and easy solution is to zero out the first track of the drive and partition it under Windows.

PlainBill

VaBeachGuy
11-09-2007, 08:36 PM
The quick and easy solution is to zero out the first track of the drive and partition it under Windows.

PlainBill

That would be exactly what I'd try first.

kemac
11-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Are the drives even spinning up in a PC? I read somewhere that the HR20 sends a command to spin the original dirves up so that when they are placed in a regular PC they don't even spin up. To make a copy of the orignal drives they where getting the drives spinning by connecting the data cabe to the HR20 first and then plugging it into a PC to copy the data off.

stevel
11-10-2007, 06:43 PM
There is no problem recognizing the drive under Windows - it will not show up as a drive letter until you go into the Disk Management utility, delete the unrecognized partitions and reformat it.

VaBeachGuy
11-10-2007, 10:53 PM
There is no problem recognizing the drive under Windows - it will not show up as a drive letter until you go into the Disk Management utility, delete the unrecognized partitions and reformat it.

Yeah, if you go out and biy a brand new hard drive and pop it in your computer and not format it Windows won't recognize it. It's the same situation here, it's just not formatted in such a way that Windows can "see" it.

Treat it like a brand new hard drive, format it for Windows and you're on your way.