PDA

View Full Version : promed tivohd now what?

imtiedup
11-28-2007, 02:09 AM
I got my promed tivo back and managed to get a hitachi 1tb drive internal and that part worked perfectly.

Now I want to find a way of getting the files to my vista computer without loosing quality, tried tivotogo but it drops the quality. I also want to be able to transfer any show I choose to my computer.

I've read n read the forums, and frankly there is so much information that I am confused as to where to start. I've read about the slicer, sapper, etc, but still cannot grasp what to do first.

Could someone be so kind as to post a step by step newbie guide on how to properly change my software to accomplish my goals, and what to do when there are software updates?

It would be so greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance for any advice offered.

swinokur
11-28-2007, 03:40 AM
Hey there,

Read this thread: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53492

It has fairly step-by-step directions of where to look for the information you'll need -- but you'll still need to do some learning.

Also, remember that the S3 and HD models are still a fair amount "like" the Series 2 boxes, so there will be lots of good reading in the Series 2 area.

lrhorer
11-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Now I want to find a way of getting the files to my vista computer without loosing quality, tried tivotogo but it drops the quality.
How so? I've transferred quite a few files back and forth using TTG / TTCB and have never experienced any loss in quality. The visual quality is identical and the file size is the same. I essentially record nothing but 1080i (certainly I don't use TTG /TTCB for anything but 1080i).

imtiedup
11-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey there,

It has fairly step-by-step directions of where to look for the information you'll need -- but you'll still need to do some learning.

Also, remember that the S3 and HD models are still a fair amount "like" the Series 2 boxes, so there will be lots of good reading in the Series 2 area.

Thank you I will read through that thread again, third time. Seems like I need to run out and purchase a sata/ide adaptor to make life easier. Will report back what I manage to accomplish.

How so? I've transferred quite a few files back and forth using TTG / TTCB and have never experienced any loss in quality. The visual quality is identical and the file size is the same. I essentially record nothing but 1080i (certainly I don't use TTG /TTCB for anything but 1080i).

I don't have any way of comparing file sizes as I have yet to get any farther than getting the promed box. The only thing I noticed is that playing the transfered movie in my theater via the computer, the video does not look as sharp as the theater it was recorded in. It's close, very close, but not identical.

Jamie
11-28-2007, 10:05 PM
I don't have any way of comparing file sizes as I have yet to get any farther than getting the promed box. The only thing I noticed is that playing the transfered movie in my theater via the computer, the video does not look as sharp as the theater it was recorded in. It's close, very close, but not identical.TTG should be a lossless digital copy. There is some reformating and DRM additions, but no re-encoding, to my knowledge. One way to test this theory is to send the video back to the tivo and play it back there. Does the copy look just like the original when play back on the same device (the tivo)? I'm betting it does.

I'd be suspicious of your playback hw/sw on the computer. Is it deinterlacing a 1080i signal? The quality of deinterlacing various quite a bit depending on the algorithm used.

imtiedup
12-01-2007, 09:39 PM
TTG should be a lossless digital copy. There is some reformating and DRM additions, but no re-encoding, to my knowledge. One way to test this theory is to send the video back to the tivo and play it back there. Does the copy look just like the original when play back on the same device (the tivo)? I'm betting it does.

I'd be suspicious of your playback hw/sw on the computer. Is it deinterlacing a 1080i signal? The quality of deinterlacing various quite a bit depending on the algorithm used.

You were correct, transfered 30 min hd to htpc, then back to tivo. Copy looks identical.

As to playback I use powerdvd under the vista64 environment. I'm coming to the conclusion that powerdvd just isn't quite ready for primetime.

imtiedup
12-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Hey there,

Can't count the number of times I have read and reread the thread and links within it. I'm still completely stumped and not sure where to begin. Problem is even the basic terminology being used is beyond me. I've gone so far as trying to google each of the terms and try to understand it.... ok I admit it, fried way to many braincells as a kid LOL

Does someone have the time to post a step by step, line by line, guide for newbies on how to setup my new promed tivohd to allow me to transfer all shows and remove the drm? I've read that there are much faster ways of transfering the files than using tivotogo, and that alone would be nice to have.

I'd be MORE than willing to make a paypal donation for such a guide!!!

Roger Dylan
12-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Can't count the number of times I have read and reread the thread and links within it.Ask questions. The current crop of experts here are pretty friendly towards questions, even ones that some might regard as stupid. Personally, I'm not smart enough to recognize a dumb question when I see one so ask away; if I were a drummer I'd be what musicians call a "clubber" but I got it done.

You couldn't have done the drive if it was all a foreign language to you. Where does it start to lose you?

imtiedup
12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Ask questions. The current crop of experts here are pretty friendly towards questions, even ones that some might regard as stupid. Personally, I'm not smart enough to recognize a dumb question when I see one so ask away; if I were a drummer I'd be what musicians call a "clubber" but I got it done.

You couldn't have done the drive if it was all a foreign language to you. Where does it start to lose you?

The drive was easy as I just had to plugin 2 drives and run a little program. It's when I leave there and goto

first post
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21976

Now comeon....take a step back and pretend you have never seen this terminology before and tell me it's not goubilygark LOL LOL

I was following directions on the thread provided in an ealier post in this thread and as my prom is already done by Omikron, step #3 seemed like the place to start, which linked to the post above.

I have no problem asking questions, it's just impossible to ask something when you don't understand what you are reading to figure out what to ask LOL

hope you see the humor in this and just how hard it is for a newbie with no coding experience to just jump in without some kind of basic newbie guide.

ScanMan
12-02-2007, 08:17 AM
The first part in defeating the chain of trust is replacing the prom; the next part is replacing the kernel with a hacked one so you can make persistent changes to the filesystem. You can either use the replace_initrd program to replace the initrd with the null-linuxrc image or you can use a custom kernel in which case you'll probably need to install the custom network driver(s) that come with the kernel. You'll also have to defeat iptables, tivo's built-in firewall. How are you connecting to the network? If you're using wireless, you'll probably want to replace_initrd; otherwise the custom kernel will work fine and give you a bit of a speed boost.

After you do all that, you can then create an rc.sysinit.author file which will start hacks like telnet and tivoftpd. You'll want to install AlphaWolf's All-In-One utilities (aka tivotools) which are many useful binaries. With those steps you should at least have telnet and ftp access to your tivo. That's just the beginning, the rest is up to you...

Check the killhdinitrd link in my signature; the process is the same except instead of a killhd kernel you'll be using a replaced/custom one. Good luck!

tivoROCKsme
01-06-2008, 07:42 PM
The first part in defeating the chain of trust is replacing the prom; the next part is replacing the kernel with a hacked one so you can make persistent changes to the filesystem. You can either use the replace_initrd program to replace the initrd with the null-linuxrc image or you can use a custom kernel in which case you'll probably need to install the custom network driver(s) that come with the kernel. You'll also have to defeat iptables, tivo's built-in firewall. How are you connecting to the network? If you're using wireless, you'll probably want to replace_initrd; otherwise the custom kernel will work fine and give you a bit of a speed boost.

After you do all that, you can then create an rc.sysinit.author file which will start hacks like telnet and tivoftpd. You'll want to install AlphaWolf's All-In-One utilities (aka tivotools) which are many useful binaries. With those steps you should at least have telnet and ftp access to your tivo. That's just the beginning, the rest is up to you...

Check the killhdinitrd link in my signature; the process is the same except instead of a killhd kernel you'll be using a replaced/custom one. Good luck!

I'm anxiously awaiting my new Tivo HD, and am very curious about it's hackability. This all sounds familiar (except PROM mod) as I hacked my HDVR2 using this and other forums/software. Is it true that a hacked TivoHD may require ongoing maintenance just to keep it running? In other words, are Tivo software upgrades going to "break it"? I'm honestly not looking for tons of ongoing work. I enjoy this to a certain extent, and LOVE being able to backup shows & movies to my pc.
Thanks in advance.

tivoROCKsme
01-06-2008, 07:43 PM
The drive was easy as I just had to plugin 2 drives and run a little program. It's when I leave there and goto

first post
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21976

Now comeon....take a step back and pretend you have never seen this terminology before and tell me it's not goubilygark LOL LOL

I was following directions on the thread provided in an ealier post in this thread and as my prom is already done by Omikron, step #3 seemed like the place to start, which linked to the post above.

I have no problem asking questions, it's just impossible to ask something when you don't understand what you are reading to figure out what to ask LOL

hope you see the humor in this and just how hard it is for a newbie with no coding experience to just jump in without some kind of basic newbie guide.

Are you familiar with ftp and telnet? If not, those are two things you will need to get familiar with.

ciper
01-09-2008, 02:20 AM
This is turning out to be a good thread. I am happy to see that hacking on the Series 3 is not as dead as I assumed.
I've been chugging along all these years with my lifetime S1 Sony. It's been hacked in just about every way you can imagine including 1.4gb of working swap space (a test that I never disabled).

Less than a month ago I purchased a Lifetime Tivo HD. I have to say I am somewhat disappointed with it in its current shape. Specifically -

*Small Live TV buffer (used to 2 hours)
*No remote control buffer. Keypresses are not saved between operations and instead you hear the "bong" error sound
*No option to choose satellite+cable or add a custom defined channel. I dont have satellite but I used this to enable video input
*No internal dual drive bracket. I dont want to have a box hanging off the back
*From what I know TivoWebPlus isn't function properly which also means no streaming video to Windows Media Player for example.
*No manual QAM mapping. I can receive many digital channels including HD over antenna or cable. When using antenna these channels have guide data but on cable I have to pay an additional 16$ a month to get the guide data to function!?

I have other complaints but this gives you an idea of changes that should be possible to resolve through community effort. I'm happy that at least some of the old timers stuck around to help further the state of S3 hacking :)

I should probably ask a question right? Can anyone suggest a place to have my unit socketed with a non stock boot prom installed? I kept up to date on most series two information but completely ignored the modified prom information since I was still on the S1.

While I'm on the subject of complaining,,
*Bad Remote. No list button on the remote, I got used to hitting "list" on my Sony and never needed the Tivo button. Secondly the arrow keys on remote combined into one button. Again on my Sony remote the arrow keys were individual but on the peanut I often end up hitting down instead of left. Third are the channel/volume buttons near the top rather than at the bottom. I rarely use the numbered buttons . The peanut remote seems unergonomic and unintuitive. Too bad I can't figure out how to modify the IR codes so my Sony remote works...

edit: I just noticed I am listed as a senior member? That seems strange considering I joined a few years after starting to play with my Tivo and my post count is very low. Whats the criteria for senior?

01-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Most hacked Dtivos, including HDVR2, were setup not to make any real phone calls and to block software upgrades.

SA units, including the Tivo HD, have to make regular calls (phone or internet) to the mothership to get guide data. You also can't run old software versions indefinitely.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41782

Several times a year you'll have to install, and hack, updated software. You may be able to do this without pulling the drive.

I'm not sure I'm going to replace my PROM. A stock unit can do a lot of what we had to hack the DTivos. A stock unit will let us schedule shows from the internet (less of a need for TWP), will let us D/L "regular" shows and can do MRV and other HMO features without hacking.

I'm anxiously awaiting my new Tivo HD, and am very curious about it's hackability. This all sounds familiar (except PROM mod) as I hacked my HDVR2 using this and other forums/software. Is it true that a hacked TivoHD may require ongoing maintenance just to keep it running? In other words, are Tivo software upgrades going to "break it"? I'm honestly not looking for tons of ongoing work. I enjoy this to a certain extent, and LOVE being able to backup shows & movies to my pc.
Thanks in advance.

lrhorer
01-15-2008, 02:20 AM
This is turning out to be a good thread. I am happy to see that hacking on the Series 3 is not as dead as I assumed.
No, it was just fairly deep underground until MRV / TTG / TTCB was enabled on the S3 platforms.

I have to say I am somewhat disappointed with it in its current shape. Specifically -

*Small Live TV buffer (used to 2 hours)
Dude, you've got a TiVo. Quit watching live TV. It's a waste of your time. I haven't watched more than perhaps one or two live programs in almost 8 years.

*No remote control buffer. Keypresses are not saved between operations and instead you hear the "bong" error sound
That would be nice. Have you suggested it over on the TiVo Suggestion Avenue on TCF? (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=6)

*No internal dual drive bracket. I dont want to have a box hanging off the back
Actually, if you are going to hack your TiVo, that's a really nice feature to have. See my post here (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58326).

The peanut remote seems unergonomic and unintuitive.
I've used both the Sony and the peanut, and I don't find either one inherently superior. I submit it's more a matter of to what one is accustomed.

Heinrich
02-22-2008, 08:12 AM
This thread is exactly what I needed to start working on my Tivo in the next few months. I hacked a Tivo 1 several years back and it sits happily in my closet...unfortunately my fear is when my searches pull up posts from 2003, I wonder if such information is current enough or going to wind up turning my S3 into a brick.

ciper
02-27-2008, 08:50 PM
This thread is exactly what I needed to start working on my Tivo in the next few months. I hacked a Tivo 1 several years back and it sits happily in my closet...unfortunately my fear is when my searches pull up posts from 2003, I wonder if such information is current enough or going to wind up turning my S3 into a brick.

I could have written the same reply as you. My S1 is still humming but it's often hard to separate the S2 info from the S3 specific caveats.