PDA

View Full Version : Will Tivo HD get guide in this Senior Community with no encryption so no cable card?

Microman
12-08-2007, 11:52 PM
My wifes uncle, currently has a S2 and gets the guide threw Tivo for his Time Warner Cable unencrypted cable.

He bought a new Vizio 42" tv, and when you use the tuner on that tv to scan for channels it locks up at 73%, and I exit out of it. But it seems to get a lot of channels, but of course NO GUIDE. It appears we need a box of some kind to get a guide. Whether it be Tivo or the Cable Compay box.

With this cable "not being encrypted" if we hook up the Tivo HD, will it be able to get all of the channels correct for their area?

Also didn't Tivo have a place to go to test what channels you would get if you went to that zip code?

Apparently this Tivo HD would work without a CABLE CARD if it is not encrypted, right?

lrhorer
12-21-2007, 07:41 PM
My wifes uncle, currently has a S2 and gets the guide threw Tivo for his Time Warner Cable unencrypted cable.

He bought a new Vizio 42" tv, and when you use the tuner on that tv to scan for channels it locks up at 73%, and I exit out of it. But it seems to get a lot of channels, but of course NO GUIDE. It appears we need a box of some kind to get a guide. Whether it be Tivo or the Cable Compay box.

With this cable "not being encrypted" if we hook up the Tivo HD, will it be able to get all of the channels correct for their area?

Also didn't Tivo have a place to go to test what channels you would get if you went to that zip code?

Apparently this Tivo HD would work without a CABLE CARD if it is not encrypted, right?
The TiVo will work, yes, but if this is one of those communities who package their own channel lineup, then the local CATV company's guide won't be any help and it's highly unlikely the lineup would be published so the TV Guide folks could package it for the TiVo to download. If they have the came channels on the same digital stream, then it should work, but I'm skeptical this would be the case.