PDA

View Full Version : human readable naming for s3tots extractions..

tiver
12-14-2007, 12:29 PM
I do not yet have a finished, chipped s3 tivo yet, but it's close - so I am jumping the gun a bit with this question - perhaps it will all make sense when I see it in action.

But I'd like to ask anyway...

When I record a "show" in Tivo, it has a human readable name in the tivo UI ... you know, something like "The Simpsons - Bart has a cow" or whatever.

But when I extract that file from the tivo and it is sitting on my unix fileserver, what does the filename look like ?

Sometime before, or after, I run s3tots, I am going to run the mplayer 'midentify' script against the file to determine time, resolution, bitrate, etc., and rename the file with those particulars, but the most important part of the filename is the human readable name of the actual show + episode.

So, does the extracted file from the tivo have that in its filename ? (I suspect it doesn't) ... or, if I run:

strings (filename)

will I find the human readable show name + episode name somewhere in the file?

I really, really need to NOT be manually renaming files - typing with one hand and reading a tv guide with the other...

Comments ?

Jamie
12-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I do not yet have a finished, chipped s3 tivo yet, but it's close - so I am jumping the gun a bit with this question - perhaps it will all make sense when I see it in action.

But I'd like to ask anyway...

When I record a "show" in Tivo, it has a human readable name in the tivo UI ... you know, something like "The Simpsons - Bart has a cow" or whatever.

Comments ?It all depends on how you extract the file. Most likely, you'll use mfs_ftp, which has a variety of options for naming files. Most or all of them include the show and/or episode title in them. There is also meta data in a "showing.xml" inside the ty+ or tmf file that includes all the meta data about the showing.

I think you are right, this will all make sense once you start actually doing it.

bcc
12-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Speaking of which, it'd be interesting if someone would write a conversion script to take tivo recording XML and convert it to windows media center recording XML. Then the recording data including the description would be browse-able within media center on an HTPC.
Coincidently the two XML formats are very similar already.
With the media center XML you could also assign cover art to recordings.