PDA

View Full Version : Move Series3 /TivoHD recordings to a Series1

mamcclure
01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I have 2 questions:

1) I have 3 Series 1 machines fully hacked w/mfs_ftp, ncid, twp, etc. I've been moving shows around using mfs_ftp for years. I just bought a TivoHD and it's really messing up my program. I'm getting the TivoHD prom'd soon (thanks Omikron!) and want try the point where I can move shows around between my tivos - I don't want to replace all my Series1's with HD's/Serie3's as I don't what to have to rent all those cable cards!

Is there any way to extract a recording from a TivoHD and somehow create a .ty file that I can upload to a Series 1? I can't see to find anything about this with the search terms I can think of.

2) Is there a program, setting or module that I can install that will allow me allow the TivoHD to not encrypt/DRM shows such that in my Tivo Desktop I won't see any shows that say "Copy Protected."

Is there a difference between "Encryption" and "Copy Protection?" I know we can get a hack to turn off "Encryption," but from what I gather, that is so you can view files DL'd from one Series3 on another one (correct me if I'm wrong). I can't seem to find anything that spells this out.

I don't need to be spoon fed, but i fyou can just point me to the relavent threads that would be enough.

thanks.
mike.

ciper
01-15-2008, 12:04 AM
I know this is not what you were asking but if it helps any I was able to take an HD video stream and convert it to a "dvd" format that my S1 accepted fairly easily. If you can figure out how to get the HD video to your PC unencrypted then the rest is cake.

mamcclure
01-15-2008, 12:23 AM
How did you do that? I mean convert it? Did you just use VideoRedo to convert it to a straight MPEG2? Can you tell me which program and how you did it? Then after you go that, did you just rename it to .ty and upload with mfs_ftp to your series 1? I can download much content from my TivoHD that is free and not encrypted - at least I can convert it to Divx and play it on a divx player so I could take it the next step and convert it to mpg.

Sorry to be such a dope, but I am really having trouble understanding the whole conversion thing.

thanks.
mike.

ciper
01-15-2008, 02:52 AM
You're gonna make me search around? lol
I had some medication that temporarily messed up my memory so its hard for me to clearly think of what I did but one name I did remember was videora. The long story short was that I accidentally deleted a new episode of a show my GF likes to watch. I had extra bandwidth so I grabbed an HD copy online and converted it over. One great side effect was that the original source was in 16:9 . I was able to set my TV to stretch the tivo video to full screen meaning the entire resolution was used for picture and not wasted on black bars. It was the best image my SVR2000 ever shown.

edit: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45093