PDA

View Full Version : Want tivo extender

wh232
01-21-2008, 01:31 AM
I have a TivoHD unit that I've added a large hard drive to, and I've been considering buying a second one to get MRV. Now maybe I'm just being a cheapskate, but it bugs me that on top of the $299 for the second box I have to shell out $399 for another lifetime. I don't want to record with the thing, or hook it up to cable... I just want a tivo extender -- the ability to watch shows remotely via ethernet. (I used to do this with my hacked DTivo, without a blessing from the big tivo in the sky.)

I'm not interested in TTG->PC, archiving shows, or defeating encryption. However, I would consider PROM modding the boxes to get this functionality. Is it possible?

bcc
01-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm not interested in TTG->PC, archiving shows, or defeating encryption. However, I would consider PROM modding the boxes to get this functionality. Is it possible?You've ruled out a lot of solutions there. One remaining possibility would be MRV, where you trick your boxes into thinking they have valid authorized MRV certificates. I don't believe anyone has bothered to circumvent current MRV in this way (just older MRV code).

Tivo should just sell an extender box.
Since they don't, I'd recommend using an HTPC as an extender instead.

wh232
01-21-2008, 08:45 PM
The problem with using an HTPC as an extender is WAF - she want's the Tivo UI, not TivoTool. :-)

Another option might be to use something like the Audio Authority cat5 component video distribution system (http://www.smarthome.com/77707k.html), but it takes over 2 pairs of cat5 cables, so I'd lose my ethernet connection (which tivo wants).

Looks like I'm going to be down another $399.

bcc
01-21-2008, 09:44 PM
The problem with using an HTPC as an extender is WAF - she want's the Tivo UI, not TivoTool. :-)I would not let the abandoned tivotool project anywhere near my htpc (same goes for tytool and tystudio).
There are several 10' UIs to choice from for HTPCs, prettier than tivo's IMO.

wh232
01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
bcc - What do you recommend for an HTPC UI? I wasn't aware of any that gave the ability to navigate listings and stream shows from a remote tivo. Also, what hacks do I need on the tivo side to make this work (mfsftp?). Thanks,

bcc
01-21-2008, 10:37 PM
In general, if this is what I was trying to do, I'd auto-transfer a copy of the shows to a PC, convert the tivo XML to media center XML and browse the listings from media center (with My Movies plugin probably).

For auto-transfer, I believe you can just use tivodesktop. You could cobble something up with mfs_ftp even. If there's a WAN link between your machines I'd look at something like etivo...