PDA

View Full Version : Need prom code for Tivo HD

laurent
02-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I socketed the PROM on my TiVo HD but somehow the original v1.05.C1 chip will not read the correct md5sum and the TiVo won't boot anymore.

I might have damaged it, could anyone send me the original prom code v1.04.C1 or v1.05.C1?

Thanks.

laurent
02-04-2008, 02:32 AM
Got it thank you.

gmully
07-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I specifically need the 1.04 prom code (post-mod would be best!). Could someone PM me with the file and prom-burner checksum?
Thanks

bub697
08-23-2008, 11:09 PM
So I managed to socket my TivoHD (practiced successfully on the S2 first) however the MD5sum on the prom isn't correct and the HD won't boot.

I'd be very grateful if someone could PM me the v1.04.C1 or v1.05.C1 prom code.

Thanks,
-Bub-

EDIT: Still looking for the prom code, but it might be better just to attach it as a reply to this thread so others don't have to ask for it as well.

bub697
08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Well it's been 4 days and the Tivo withdraw is pretty bad :( without it I tend to simply walk away from the TV during commercials and forget to come back (hey, I can just rewin.... crap)

BUT!! there is a light at the end of the tunnel... I told a friend of mine about the wonderful world of Tivo prom'n and he's ditching his TWC boxes for two HD's. So a week from now I should have two fresh HD's to pull prom code from. YAY!!

-Bub-

UPDATE: Got the prom code and I'm back in business. Thanks for the help! If anyone else needs it just send me a PM.

ciper
12-12-2008, 08:38 AM
I too wouldn't mind a copy of both versions of the THD rom. Original and or modified

You can email them to a hotmail account with the same name as my forum nick.

Thanks

jt1134
12-13-2008, 12:08 AM

ciper
12-20-2008, 07:58 AM
I would like a copy of THD v1.04 for preservation purposes.

Bilboz
12-22-2008, 07:07 AM
Ditto on the "a copy of both versions of the THD rom. Original and or modified"
Thanks

ciper
12-22-2008, 09:50 PM
If it helps I can verify that an early build THD that originally used 1.04 of the boot prom seems to work properly when using V1.05

superwagon@mac.
01-31-2009, 11:41 PM
I too would like a copy of the prom codes for TiVo HD. Thanks

AlphaWolf
07-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Gonna need these myself, both modified and non. Just successfully socketed an S2 dtivo and am now planning to use that unit to do a prom hot-swap to flash a blank SST39 for use in a Tivo HD.

T_RJ
07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
I posted the one I used here http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=302023#post302023

Good to see you back in the game!

jt1134
07-23-2009, 08:22 PM
For reference, this thread (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60337) has an unmodified copy of the image T_RJ linked to.

AW, if you want a v1.05 image, I can yank a copy off of one of my boxes.

cartouchbea
07-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Send me a PM and I can e-mail you the unmodified PROM code for the Series 2DT, Series 3, TiVo HD, or TiVo HD XL.

cartouchbea

AlphaWolf
07-24-2009, 05:00 AM
I am assuming any version number works with any Tivo HD or are there any hardware sub-revisions that will make different versions incompatible? Also, just curious, are these patched to completely skip the kernel hash (faster booting) or do they go through the hash and just not care if it doesn't match? I'd look myself but not knowing anything about assembly I wouldn't be able to tell the difference :D

Good to see you back in the game!

LOL ya I just got a new setup too. I lost my linux computer that I used to hack with and cross compile with, finally gave up trying to find it so I had to start from scratch. This time my main computer is a quad core, so I've opted to install ubuntu inside of a VM, and I use a SATA/IDE to USB adapter so no more need to even reboot, nevermind shut down my computer every time I need to hack a tivo. In fact I don't even remove the hard disk from the tivo anymore, just remove the cover and hot-plug it right in.

Just recently did an mfstools restore through vmware while I was playing bioshock, didn't even notice a framerate decrease. Multi-core CPU's FTW. I know its a lame brag but its way better than I had before, and I highly recommend this setup to anybody who hasn't tried it :D

Only thing I need to figure out now is to get a proper cross compiler running under ubunto 9.04. Sadly the build scripts posted here only work on an older version of GCC, and for the life of me I can't get that version running alongside the new version and still have all of the build scripts work properly. GCC can be such a pain...

tivo4mevo
07-24-2009, 09:27 AM
I believe that the publicly available PROM patches/versions skip neither the SHA-1 PROM checksum nor the verification of the kernel signature.

Jamie
07-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Only thing I need to figure out now is to get a proper cross compiler running under ubunto 9.04. Sadly the build scripts posted here only work on an older version of GCC, and for the life of me I can't get that version running alongside the new version and still have all of the build scripts work properly. GCC can be such a pain...
The build_mips_x_compiler.sh script in this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241891&postcount=1) post works fine with gcc 4.4.0 and Fedora 10 on x86_64. I just tested it again. I can't speak for versions posted by others later in the thread. The only necessary change is the tivo source urls, which seem to change frequently. Now there is a download subdirectory under linux in their http directory tree.

Last time I checked, it also worked fine under cygwin.

cartouchbea
07-24-2009, 01:13 PM
I am assuming any version number works with any Tivo HD or are there any hardware sub-revisions that will make different versions incompatible? ...

I'm not 100% certain because I 've never tested putting a different version PROM in a TiVo. That said, I vaguely remember someone saying that the 1.04 version PROM for the TivoHD would work in a TiVo that was delivered with the 1.05 PROM code. But that was a couple of years ago so don't quote me, ...

When I recently had the opportunity to work on a couple of TiVo HD's (not XL) that were delivered with PROM version 1.06, I noticed that the electronics on the power supply are significantly different than a power supply in most TiVo HD's with PROM version 1.04. I doubt the power supply differences have any significant bearing on the PROM. However, since TiVo does seem to change some of the internal electronics from time-to-time, it's possible that there may be some incompatibilities somewhere.

cartouchbea

AlphaWolf
07-26-2009, 01:16 AM
What do you suppose the chances might be that using the wrong version can cause physical damage? I.e. applies the wrong soft voltage setting somewhere.

I've yet to extract my prom from the tivohd so I can't tell what version it has yet, but there's a small chance I might damage the prom during removal (I think I may have damaged one of the 5 tivo proms I've removed before, can't tell for certain, just it doesn't boot with a tivo that I *think* it should boot with whereas the others boot fine.)

cartouchbea
07-26-2009, 02:45 AM
What do you suppose the chances might be that using the wrong version can cause physical damage? I.e. applies the wrong soft voltage setting somewhere.

I have absolutely no evidence to prove or disprove that damage can be caused by using a different version of PROM code. My gut feeling is that no damage will occur and I'm fairly confident in that. But once again, I have absolutely no evidence to support or refute that. My biggest concern would be that if the PROM and the hardware weren't "in sync", the PROM code would just freak out or give up and never boot, but I doubt that any damage would occur.

I've yet to extract my prom from the tivohd so I can't tell what version it has yet, but there's a small chance I might damage the prom during removal (I think I may have damaged one of the 5 tivo proms I've removed before, can't tell for certain, just it doesn't boot with a tivo that I *think* it should boot with whereas the others boot fine.)

It's been my experience that the version that's labeled on the sticker for the PROM has always matched what is "in" the chip. So as long as you can read the sticker you should be pretty confident in what the PROM version is.

cartouchbea

AlphaWolf
07-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Seems mine is 1.04. I am curious if upgrading it to 1.06 might fix the gray screen problem I keep having.

cartouchbea
07-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Seems mine is 1.04. I am curious if upgrading it to 1.06 might fix the gray screen problem I keep having.

Not sure what that problem is exactly, but my understanding is that once you see the "Almost There" screen, it's done with the PROM. So if it's booting that far, the PROM version probably won't make a difference.

cartouchbea

AlphaWolf
07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Not sure what that problem is exactly, but my understanding is that once you see the "Almost There" screen, it's done with the PROM. So if it's booting that far, the PROM version probably won't make a difference.

cartouchbea

I found that if I pull the prom out while everything is running, the tivo will probably freeze. If I pull it out with a minimal set of services running though (e.g. kill the rc.sysinit very early on) then it can sit there all day with the prom removed. YMMV tho.

searchplex
09-17-2010, 05:57 PM
I am newbe and I am trying to hack my TiVo HD (1160GB with PROM CBOM 00014-000- V1.05 I am comfortable with electronics SMD soldering
all I need to be able to use my tivo as a stand alone DVR , and program it myslef would you kindly help me with the code for my PROM and also some hints on where to start my jurney - research .... very much appreciated

Thanks Andy (searchplex@hotmail.com)

mike_s
09-17-2010, 10:08 PM
I need to be able to use my tivo as a stand alone DVR If you mean use it without having a TiVo service subscription, you won't get any help here. You also seem to be confusing "want" and "need."