PDA

View Full Version : Can I sell my old (hacked) HR10-250 on ebay?

slydog75
02-21-2008, 09:23 PM
So I 'upgraded' to the HR21 and now I have a useless HR10-250 and I figure I'd sell it on eBay. Do I need to remove the hacks before I do this? I figure I could get a bit more money for it if I listed the hacks on it, but I'm thinking the developers here are against this.

If I do need to remove the hacks what's the easiest way to do this? Does a Clear and Delete All do it or do I need to install a clean image?

ronnythunder
02-21-2008, 10:39 PM
definitely should remove the hacks first. c&de won't do it, you either need to manually "unhack" or install a new image.

i assume you do own the unit, correct? many hr10 units are leased despite being told otherwise by vendors. it should show as "additional receiver" on your bill, *not* "leased equipment".

ronny

crashHD
02-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Remove "upgradesoftware=false" from your bootpage arguments.

After that, perform a kickstart 52. It will reinstall the current software, on the alternate partition set, and reboot. Poof. Tivo deunhackified.

Alternatively, after fixing bootpage as mentioned above, allow it to make daily calls again. It will update itself to 6.3f soon.

I doubt selling the unit as-hacked would have added any value anyway. With the old SD units, you could hack for MRV, which some fools would pay for. With the HR10, the only things you can enable by hacking are things more complicated than that. Anyone wishing to do these more complicated things is likely able to do their own hacking, and therefore unwilling to pay a premium for it.

captain_video
03-03-2008, 08:47 AM
An even easier way would be to modify the upgradesoftware=false statement and then simply delete your rc.sysinit.author file and reboot. The hack files are still there but are no longer active. You could also delete the files manually but I shouldn't think it would be necessary, although some of the authors might argue the point. As long as you don't tell the buyer the unit was ever hacked they'll never know and it would be highly unlikely that they go looking for the files. They'd still have to rebuild the rc.sysinit.author file from scratch so they'd essentially be hacking it on their own anyway. Like crashHD said, just plugging it into a phone line and hooking up the sat feed will eventually upgrade it to the latest version automatically, which would wipe out the hacks and installed files.