PDA

View Full Version : SWM available now

jwciv
02-28-2008, 07:58 AM
http://www.weaknees.com/swm-directv.php?code=111863
quite a price to pay though, $399!

stevel
02-28-2008, 10:50 AM
See http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=114457 - I got a SWM-8 and power supply for around $310 (I forget the exact price.)

jwciv
02-28-2008, 11:03 AM
that's significantly better, 22% savings for you.
everyone's configurations, needs and "wiring difficulty" are different (obviously). I can run additional lines off my multiswitch in about 1.5 hours, so for me it's not quite worth it...yet...you never know.
My house is old, lots of cavities / wire chases available, easy access to most rooms from above or below.
YMMV

stevel
02-28-2008, 07:21 PM
The price I actually paid was $299.08 with shipping.

jwciv
02-29-2008, 07:38 AM
The price I actually paid was $299.08 with shipping.

it is a pretty sweet concept. notice any delays when changing channels or when multiple receivers are running?

stevel
02-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Nope - no difference from using a WB68. Right now I have an HR10 (legacy ports) and HR20 (SWM) connected. I wanted the SWM because I have four leads running from the dish down under my siding into the house and I also wanted to connect a powered OTA antenna, so I needed an extra wire. With the SWM I use three wires for sat and one for OTA. Signal levels are indistinguishable from a direct connection.

One of these days I'll split the SWM feed and connect it to my HR21, but that's currently offline.

jwciv
03-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Nope - no difference from using a WB68. Right now I have an HR10 (legacy ports) and HR20 (SWM) connected. I wanted the SWM because I have four leads running from the dish down under my siding into the house and I also wanted to connect a powered OTA antenna, so I needed an extra wire. With the SWM I use three wires for sat and one for OTA. Signal levels are indistinguishable from a direct connection.

One of these days I'll split the SWM feed and connect it to my HR21, but that's currently offline.

are you getting locals on the 72.5 in Noo hampshire? just curious, In VT a second dish is still required and I'd love to get rid of it...just not sure if DirecTV has any plans for that.
When you say powered OTA, is it an integrated DC amplifier or separate add on? I'd like to pull in more stations OTA and was looking around solid signal at their add on amplifiers, thinking of buying one.
Thanks

stevel
03-01-2008, 02:32 PM
No, I'm in the Boston/Manchester market and don't need a 72.5 dish. The antenna is really nice for the Boston PBS stations in HD, which DirecTV doesn't carry yet.

The antenna I use is the amplified "Lacrosse" from Antennas Direct - the amp is integrated. It works very well - I am about 35 miles from the Boston transmitters and I can get a good signal on most of the Boston stations, except some whose transmitters are a bit further west. I can also get some stations to the north, such as Manchester, but not Durham as the antenna is at a 90-degree angle to that transmitter.