PDA

View Full Version : "free upgrade"

opticalcarrier
03-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Ive got a HR10-250 HD-Tivo and today they told me I was eligible for a free upgrade to the mpeg4 DVR. I asked some questions and found out that there is an additional 2 year commitment, plus its a lease. But supposedly theres no monthly lease fee.

I dont know if its gonna be a HR20 or 21 or how big the hard drive will be.
Is it just not possible to buy one from them? Id like to own one that I could later mod....Is this a good deal?

Can I mod the leased box?

stevel
03-06-2008, 07:11 PM
You cannot buy an HR20/21 - they're all leases. The drive will be 320GB.

The only mod possible is a larger drive, and most people would suggest that you do this with an eSATA drive and not open the box.

jwciv
03-07-2008, 08:37 AM
...most people would suggest that you do this with an eSATA drive and not open the box.

is this simply a warranty issue or is there another drawback to replacing the internal drive?

stevel
03-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Just a warranty issue. I've opened both my boxes and replaced the drives with bigger ones, but the eSATA route is so easy.

opticalcarrier
03-30-2008, 04:22 PM
You cannot buy an HR20/21 - they're all leases. The drive will be 320GB.

The only mod possible is a larger drive, and most people would suggest that you do this with an eSATA drive and not open the box.

there seems to be plenty of hr21 units available from ebay and froogle searches. are they all leases that you in initially pay for, then also pay an extra monthly lease fee?

stevel
03-31-2008, 08:26 PM
You pay a "lease upgrade" fee up front. After that, you pay the standard receiver fee if you have more than one. This is sometimes listed as a lease fee, depending on what the primary box on your account is, but it really is a mirroring fee.

It would be very very unusual to find an HR21 not a lease, and you'd likely have to pay $700 or more for it. As far as I know, the only possible source of a non-lease HR21 is from a beta tester (like me, but I'm not selling), as we "own" the boxes.

superleo
04-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I just upgraded two of my receivers to HD, one to a regular HD receiver and the other to a DVR HR-21. I called them up ahead of time and asked them for my alternatives. One of the alternatives was for me to buy my own equipment, no lease no commitment, but at the same time I had to do my own antenna install.

I bought my dish for $55.00, h20 for $99.00 hr21 for $169.00 plus other miscellaneous stuff. If you are willing to put up the upfront expense and the time to do it yorself, the option is there.

opticalcarrier
04-03-2008, 09:33 AM
You pay a "lease upgrade" fee up front. After that, you pay the standard receiver fee if you have more than one. This is sometimes listed as a lease fee, depending on what the primary box on your account is, but it really is a mirroring fee.

It would be very very unusual to find an HR21 not a lease, and you'd likely have to pay $700 or more for it. As far as I know, the only possible source of a non-lease HR21 is from a beta tester (like me, but I'm not selling), as we "own" the boxes.

how about a HR20? thats the one I want. there are a few of them on ebay. I'm getting the RID from the seller to call DTV and check to see if its a lease

EDITED: DTV verified its a lease. I guess the people selling them on ebay are gonna get hit with the buy fee???

drpud
04-03-2008, 04:46 PM
The actual answer lies between the positions tendered here. There is a $199 up-front "lease fee" that covers use of the unit for 2 yrs as they will replace, repair, etc. HOWEVER, at the end of the 2-year contract, you do, in fact, become an owner of the unit. You may chose to trade it in for a new unit or use it as a doorstop, etc with no repercussions. So the long and short of it is that you lease for 2 yrs after which you have "bought" the unit. Make any sense??

jt1134
04-03-2008, 04:47 PM
HOWEVER, at the end of the 2-year contract, you do, in fact, become an owner of the unit. You may chose to trade it in for a new unit or use it as a doorstop, etc with no repercussions. So the long and short of it is that you lease for 2 yrs after which you have "bought" the unit. Make any sense??

Incorrect. I'm guessing a csr told you this? :rolleyes:

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=1100106

jwciv
04-04-2008, 08:12 AM
how about a HR20? thats the one I want. there are a few of them on ebay. I'm getting the RID from the seller to call DTV and check to see if its a lease

EDITED: DTV verified its a lease. I guess the people selling them on ebay are gonna get hit with the buy fee???

ebay has been sporadically canceling auctions of H/HR 20/21, here's a sample explanation of why:

"You recently listed the following auction-style listing:
150226xxxxxx - HR20 Brand New Sealed Box DirecTV HD DVR MPEG-4 HDTV
The listing was removed because it violated eBay policy. We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.
The rights owner, DirecTV, Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law."

stevel
04-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Yeah, that's the eBay VERO system at work. They canceled an auction I had for a Bose SoundDock and never told me why. After some digging I figured it was either that I had been willing to ship internationally (which Bose apparently doesn't like) and/or I cribbed descriptive text from their web site (understandable.) I was able to relist once I addressed those two items.

In the case of the HR20, I'd expect that DirecTV might object to auctions promoting NIB HR20s as "to own" when they will be leases. The low price assumes a kickback that DirecTV gives to the retailer.

jwciv
04-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Yeah, that's the eBay VERO system at work. They canceled an auction I had for a Bose SoundDock and never told me why. After some digging I figured it was either that I had been willing to ship internationally (which Bose apparently doesn't like) and/or I cribbed descriptive text from their web site (understandable.) I was able to relist once I addressed those two items.

In the case of the HR20, I'd expect that DirecTV might object to auctions promoting NIB HR20s as "to own" when they will be leases. The low price assumes a kickback that DirecTV gives to the retailer.

it was listed as a lease, however, I did cut and paste info from an HR21 sell sheet to highlight features, maybe that was the "intellectual property rights" violation.

kfosburg
04-13-2008, 10:42 AM
I finally got the call from DirecTV the other night to upgrade... deal was two new HR21's and a HD receiver and 5 LMB dish and install to replace my 10-250's and E86 - free with 24 month commitment. I keep my old stuff (beta test units anyhow) and I will OWN the new hardware after my commitment is up. They "recorded" the call so there's a record of what the CSR said.

The HR21 has some nice features, but lacks a couple of key features of the 10-250: OTA input and tuner swap!!!

stevel
04-13-2008, 02:53 PM
OTA is coming in the form of an external tuner box which connects by USB - the AM21.

CasaDelGato
04-27-2008, 09:32 PM
So, how do you arrange a free upgrade?
I currently have a DirecTivo, and would like to go HD with a HR21.
So far, it looks like I'll have to pay $200 + $15/month to do so.

Vlad-The-Impald
10-16-2008, 12:33 PM
We got a call from DirecTV regarding this 'free' upgrade as well. Its not free. Its a way for them to extend the 2 yr committment that just expired another 2 yrs. That's ok, as I'm happy with DirecTV, but I just don't like being forced into this.

What I'm yet to understand is the downside risk of not accepting this 'free' upgrade from them. Anyone have an answer to that?

Vlad

stevel
10-18-2008, 11:08 AM
The downside is that you'll lose access to all HD content and miss out on all the HD that DirecTV has added over the past year and will add in the future.

splitsec
11-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Has anyone gotten them to upgrade you without sending someone to your house to do the install? I can't get them to ship me the unit at my billing address w/ the 5lnb dish, they say that is not possible, but I find that hard to believe.

Anyone have it done?

PlainBill
11-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Has anyone gotten them to upgrade you without sending someone to your house to do the install? I can't get them to ship me the unit at my billing address w/ the 5lnb dish, they say that is not possible, but I find that hard to believe.

Anyone have it done?
I've never heard of anyone arranging a self-install. Compared to the earlier 1 and 3 lnb dishes, the 5 lnb dish is a monster. The alignment is critical if you are going to get the satellites at 99 and 103. I do know of one guy who purchased a 5 lnb dish and HR20 and set it up himself.

PlainBill

jwciv
11-14-2008, 01:43 PM
<SNIP> I do know of one guy who purchased a 5 lnb dish and HR20 and set it up himself.

PlainBill

make that two :)
It is indeed a monster compared to the old round dish, but using the receiver as a meter, or if you can get your hands on a real meter all the better, it can be done.
Order of operation, ie what you adjust first, second, third, etc, it very critical to proper alignment. Standard sats are easy, HDs are the hard part.
splitsec - - PM me for an install guide that'll walk you though the aligment

PlainBill
11-15-2008, 11:34 AM
I would say that unless you have a work schedule that does not permit waiting for an installer, or have something you don't want the installer to see (messy living room), buying a dish and receiver doesn't make any sense.

Many of the installers take short cuts, do sloppy work, etc. It's still easier to ride herd on them and make them do it right than it is to do it yourself.

PlainBill

splitsec
11-15-2008, 12:21 PM
The equipment is at a vacation home that is quite remote. All past experiences with installers in the area have been attrocious to say the least, and difficult to schedule (we are about 45 minutes from the nearest center).

Add on top of that the fact that there is nobody there to receive the units (when you can get someone to deliver to the area) makes it twice as difficult.

I have installed my dish (3lnb) and others no problem in the past, I have access to a birddog sat. meter so I don't anticipate any difficulty in the install.

What I really need is for them to ship the receiver and dish to my billing address, and I will take care of the rest. I may end up telling them that I already have the correct dish installed, and just need the receiver.

PlainBill
11-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Or you could schedule the installation for a day when you are going to be at the vacation home....

PlainBill

vurbano
11-28-2008, 06:41 PM
So, how do you arrange a free upgrade?
I currently have a DirecTivo, and would like to go HD with a HR21.
So far, it looks like I'll have to pay $200 + $15/month to do so.
FYI, I upgraded FREE twice with one HR10-250. They dont take it with them when they leave, its still yours. I simply moved it and reactivated it a month later and after a few months upgraded again for free. :D