PDA

View Full Version : ftp fetch while recording off of two cablecards ?

tiver
03-21-2008, 11:42 AM
s3 Tivo.

Any comments on offloading a program via FTP while at the same time the tivo is recording two simultaneous shows ?

My concern is that the 5 MB/s outbound transfer that I am forcing it to do will be too much for the hard drive while recording two shows ... and that bits will drop from one or both of the recordings.

Any comments ? I am fairly certain that the math says the drive can handle this without a problem, but sometimes there are other variables. Has anyone here done enough ftp transfers while recording two shows that they can assure me this is nothing to worry about ?

ALSO, what log file on my tivo can I watch to alert myself of any kind of recording/input errors ?

jt1134
03-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Your transfer speeds will suffer and you may get a somewhat sluggy response from your remote during the transfer. I do it all the time.

ALSO, what log file on my tivo can I watch to alert myself of any kind of recording/input errors ?

kernel, tvlog, tverr

tiver
03-21-2008, 01:16 PM
ok, but the integrity of the shows being recorded will not suffer, in your experience ?

jt1134
03-21-2008, 01:42 PM
not at all.

ciper
03-21-2008, 07:38 PM
So MFS_FTP is lower priority than the "OS?" Thats pretty good to know :)

captain_video
03-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Think of the FTP transfer as playing back a 3rd show while recording two others. This falls under normal operating parameters and should not pose any problems, although expect to see some sluggish response from your remote as jt indicated. The transfer speed should not be as high as you would normally expect but you can always perform the transfer when the Tivo's not recording if speed is important to you.